A&H

Assesme ts in general

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Good morning all,
Yes I am back!! To give you a quick brief this year for my family has been terrible - would have used ALOT stronger word but I know kids view this page. 2 family members passing away and dad being diagnosed with cancer - but apart from that's it's been great!!!!

Anyway I didn't get my level 6 as I failed but about 1.5marks! GUTTED. Due to a change in shift pattern at work I couldn't go for promotion this year - I work more Saturdays now! Hopefully in the NY I will have a different job in a diff dept which works 8-4 Monday - Friday leaving weekends free for football.

Last night I was honoured to be in the room when an EX PREM LEAGUE ref (no names and you will see why soon) did a presentation for the league I am going to ref this season. Bloody nice guy and great presentation.

Afterwards, I spoke to him and explained my promotion failure etc. He does not live that far from me and a long chat I was cheeky and asked if he was free one Saturday would he be willing to come and watch me and "asses" me and give me some pointers on where I am going wrong. To my surprise and I am pleased to say that he agreed and gave me his email address to contact him on.

He told me I still have the chance of getting up to a great standard of football even though I have only been in the game 4years and I am 31. He said I would need to do a double jump next year and be at football league level within 5years. WOWZA that's a big jump.

If I manage to get this new position which I am waiting to come out at work, and my own business grows at a very rapid rate then that would be awesome.

I asked him about wages at top level.

Football league refs get approx £650 per game + expenses.

All prem league refs are on the select group and have a contract. The top refs such as Howard Webb would be on a massive £140k a year plus expenses.

A ref in the WC, no matter if they did just group games or the WC final got the same fee, a massive £35k !!!

He was impressed that when I told him over the past month I had lost about 10lb in weight as I knew I had to. He said that was great and I would already have that extra edge over someone who carried that extra bit of weight as it would look like I could get around the pitch more. that could get me that extra point or two which could be vital.

No names as I feel it would be unfair and everyone would be trying to contact him etc and I don't want to spoil the potential chance of an ex prem ref giving me some pointers on how to get promoted. If I build up a good relationship with him, you never know I might be able to get him to do some EXTRA assessments for me next season to keep me on track.

Have a great season

The Referee Store
I also missed out on promotion last year, because I seemed to be cursed with my assessment games constantly getting called off. It's just one of those things I guess. Kudos on ref guy assessing you, you may run the danger of having the teams expectations raised if Mark Clattenburg is stood on the side lol.

What is important is the first point you made, for all enjoyment and sense of achievement we gain from refereeing, it doesn't mean a thing when it comes to family and friends being seriously ill. I've lost a couple of family members to cancer and my best man at my wedding has survived cancer in his late twenties, what he went through is unbelievable but he was given the all clear last year. No matter what diagnosis they receive spend what quality time time you can with them. Refereeing doesn't matter one jot in comparison.

Back