The Ref Stop

Arsenal Vs Bournemouth

Ori

Ok. For those watching live.

Was that DOGSO?

I can argue both sides, but leaning towards a yellow due to distance from goal and Ben white potentially getting back.

Then I ask is it a clear and obvious for VAR to get involved?

The Ref Stop
Clear DOGSO red for me..

Control: No doubt whatsoever he's getting the ball without the foul

Direction: Would be running directly at goal

Defenders: White has a lot of distance to make up, and Raya obviously realised he wasn't getting there as he started to move back towards his goal.

Distance: This is the only question mark, but a top level footballer receiving the ball 40 to 45 metres from goal with just the keeper to beat isn't too much distance as far as I can see.

I was surprised yellow came out, and from his body language so was Saliba, he expected it to be red. I was a bit surprised VAR got involved given the current referee's call mantra, but if Rob Jones has told them he went yellow because he felt White or Raya were getting there I can understand them deeming it to be a clear and obvious error.

Clear DOGSO red for me..

Control: No doubt whatsoever he's getting the ball without the foul

Direction: Would be running directly at goal

Defenders: White has a lot of distance to make up, and Raya obviously realised he wasn't getting there as he started to move back towards his goal.

Distance: This is the only question mark, but a top level footballer receiving the ball 40 to 45 metres from goal with just the keeper to beat isn't too much distance as far as I can see.

I was surprised yellow came out, and from his body language so was Saliba, he expected it to be red. I was a bit surprised VAR got involved given the current referee's call mantra, but if Rob Jones has told them he went yellow because he felt White or Raya were getting there I can understand them deeming it to be a clear and obvious error.
So you say white has a lot of distance to make up against a player with the ball?

As I said, I could argue for both, but why is VAR getting involved now when the rest of the season it’s been a soft touch on interference.

This is one of those cases that lends credence to the “safety net” argument as regards VAR.

Go safe, go yellow. Have a second chance just in case. Is that the thought process? Probably not - it’s a wrong KMI of course but the nature of PGMOL contracts means those expectations on us at all levels below this aren’t necessarily in play.

From the same perspective this is also another example of where other sports have the process better than this. Umpire review, and rugby TMO “I’ve got yellow, can you check please” so much better here.

So you say white has a lot of distance to make up against a player with the ball?

As I said, I could argue for both, but why is VAR getting involved now when the rest of the season it’s been a soft touch on interference.
Hopefully we will hear it on the next Mic'd up show, but I strongly suspect that Jones thought the ball would go to Raya, or less likely White was getting across. Raya was 100% not getting there, I accept there is more subjectivity about White but I personally think he had no chance of intercepting.

These are the most difficult kind of DOGSOs as there were no defenders close to the attacker, it makes it much more difficult to judge.

This is one of those cases that lends credence to the “safety net” argument as regards VAR.

Go safe, go yellow. Have a second chance just in case. Is that the thought process? Probably not - it’s a wrong KMI of course but the nature of PGMOL contracts means those expectations on us at all levels below this aren’t necessarily in play.

From the same perspective this is also another example of where other sports have the process better than this. Umpire review, and rugby TMO “I’ve got yellow, can you check please” so much better here.
I think it is more the positioning of everyone. If it had been a defender lagging behind the striker it becomes an easy DOGSO, but Jones had to work out whether White, who he probably couldn't even see properly at the time of the foul, or Raya would have got there. I hated those kinds of decisions so do have some sympathy for Rob Jones.

Agree. His position is not good to be able to judge all the elements—but his AR should have been able to give him everything he didn’t have that he needed to go red without it having to go to VAR. (And it did look like he may have been listening to someone as he was walking over before he reached for the yellow—I’d love to hear that conversation.)

I think this is clear red for reasons already explained above. But a genuine hypothetical question for those who think clear red also. Replace White with Van de Ven. Would it still be clear red?

Wondering if the player fouled is in an offsides position, I don't understand how it could be DOGSO. If the player touches the ball, he's offsides. How can that be "Denial of a goal scoring opportunity"? I don't disagree with a foul, but it can't be a goal scoring opportunity if the player would have been called offsides, can it? Definitely a strange sequence.

Back