A&H

Arsenal v Everton

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
Arsenal’s 1st goal... where do we stand on overhead kicks . He nearly kicks Luiz in the face, so should we be giving an IDFK?

Richarlison yellow nothing more for me; reckless

Stuart atwell doing well and I think he is actually in the top 5 for epl refs.

The Referee Store
Didn't a referee disallow a goal from an over head kick a few seasons ago for PIADM?

If I remember correctly it was someone being checked out for SG1, I don't think he got another game.

At that level they want the "spectacle" so don't want referees stopping players doing things like this, so I imagine he'd have had to kick Luiz for the goal to be ruled out.

Didn't a referee disallow a goal from an over head kick a few seasons ago for PIADM?

If I remember correctly it was someone being checked out for SG1, I don't think he got another game.

At that level they want the "spectacle" so don't want referees stopping players doing things like this, so I imagine he'd have had to kick Luiz for the goal to be ruled out.

It was Simon Hooper at Norwich. Think he's now officially in SG1 so it's not held him back too much!

First thoughts were it would be disallowed.

If Luiz fell down clutching his head, it would have been disallowed.

Piss poor defending for both goals. Screenshot_20200223_183358_com.twitter.android.jpg

Reactions: JH

Considering the things goalkeepers are often allowed to get away with, I don't especially have any wish to see goals like this disallowed and I don't think most people would expect it to do so.

PIADM includes an opponent being unable to play the ball for fear of safety. That's largely why we see it so rarely at high levels--players don't back away from the dangerous foot. From the still (I haven't seen the play), it looks like the opponent was trying to head the ball rather than backing away, which would be a no-call. (But a few inches closer in, we'd have a DFK for kicking an opponent, and probably a send off for SFP.)

I thought it would be disallowed.

The very odd decisions this week - since Wenger - make me wonder if there is some kind of move towards well, I don’r want to say “spirit of the game” or “smart” or “ignoring the laws” but something’s up... could it even be a natural reaction on the part of individual officials to avoid “spoiling” the game and a move towards positive outcomes?

Good goal.
I'm not disallowing goals cos a player MAY have thought twice about putting a body part in the way!
Where would it end?

There is a funny clip on my FB of Aaron Mooy getting one right in the meat and tatties yesterday, you can hear the thud and the squeal!!! John Fleck burst out laughing and went over and consoled him!! There aint no cream for that!!! Goal in the OP.... next!!!

Having watched it, the overhead kick is very well timed, with the defender arriving a bit late to the party and coming under the player's boot. So, on that basis, I don't think it is dangerous at all and the goal should stand.

For me, to disallow it, I'd have to see the kicker's technique be 'off', for example by angling his studs towards the defender's face, or by attempting to do this in a more crowded area or if the ball was slightly lower. It all depends really.

I honestly think if this was on the half way it would have been given. But since this scored a goal, referees want more than that (generally) to disallow a goal.

Also form a decision selling viewpoint, it's much easier to sell a goal here than to disallow it.

The key thing for me is nobody actually got kicked or hurt, and there is absolutely no complaints from players including David Luiz, so just get on with it and give the goal.

Having watched it, the overhead kick is very well timed, with the defender arriving a bit late to the party and coming under the player's boot. So, on that basis, I don't think it is dangerous at all and the goal should stand.

Exactly this. Balls been played before Luiz gets there. Don’t forget it was also checked as a matter of routine and allowed to stand

Back