Argentina - Iceland

cwyeary

RefChat Addict
Referee: Szymon Marciniak (POL)
AR1: Pawel Sokolnicki (POL)
AR2: Tomasz Listkiewicz (POL)
Fourth Official: Wilmar Roldan (COL)
Reserve AR: Alexander Guzman (COL)

Video Assistant Referee: Mark Geiger (USA)
AVAR1: Pawel Gil (POL)
AVAR2: Joe Fletcher (CAN)
AVAR3: Gery Vargas (BOL)

The Referee Store
Did anyone see the handball we had 5 pages of debate about not too long ago?

Around 40th minute of the game.

Did anyone see the handball we had 5 pages of debate about not too long ago?

Around 40th minute of the game.

Yeah. I think it's close. But with the clear and obvious standard I can see why it wasn't given.

If the referee had given it I’d have expected VAR to overturn it. Deflected off the players body onto his arm!

Yeah. I think it's close. But with the clear and obvious standard I can see why it wasn't given.
Nothing to do with VAR. The ref should have given it if you go by the FIFA instructor's instructions as the defender 'took a risk' and took away an opportunity from the attackers.

If the referee had given it I’d have expected VAR to overturn it. Deflected off the players body onto his arm!
No chance of VAR overturning either decision here. It's a completely ITOTR decision.

Nothing to do with VAR. The ref should have given it if you go by the FIFA instructor's instructions as the defender 'took a risk' and took away an opportunity from the attackers.
Those instructions were pathetic, basically said 'don't care if it wasn't deliberate, if they take the risk, give it'

Never in a million years is that deliberate handball

And there we have the inconsistent nonsense. Not saying that should've been reviewed, but I'd now be livid as an Argie that it wasn't

And that should be another penalty. VAR is a ducking joke.
The replay shows Pavon is tripped. Clearly. 100% no doubt. We have a goal kick. It's a clear and obvious mistake.
What is the point?

I think that was the correct application of VAR, but it was a much easier penalty to give than the French pen (despite the player looking to go to ground)
This referee just believed in his decision and cracked on with the game

Now that I can see that VAR is not being "used" in these games I am going to incredibly hacked off when VAR is at last used to give a penalty decision or cancel a goal over a foul decision/non decision. An offside will be easy to swallow... but the Costa and Pavon situations... argh

An offside will be easy to swallow... but the Costa and Pavon situations... argh

That's always going to be an issue. No matter where you draw the line there will be decisions that could fall on either side of the "clear and obvious" line. This cannot be avoided.

That's always going to be an issue. No matter where you draw the line there will be decisions that could fall on either side of the "clear and obvious" line. This cannot be avoided.
No, these two were both clear and obvious with the replay.
If the ref says no foul and then the replay shows it was a foul - it is a clear and obvious error. You keep trying to defend this VAR indecision with the clear and obvious line... these were clear and obvious.
You mention minimal interference in the other thread. What is the point if the VAR is not going to act on clear and obvious errors at goal/no goal situations. Is VAR going to actually start to take decisions and start to work in the knock outs... or in the final group games...

And I've just watched the France VAR call. That is not as clear and obvious as the other two examples. Bizarre.

So we agree that the use of VAR for penalty decisions is intrinsically flawed? VAR takes center stage, merely deflecting controversy and magnifying it in the process

Back