A&H

AR - Getting ref's attention

cZulu

Level 7 Referee
Situation: I'm AR2 standing in the opposite half to a free kick being set up - probably about 45 yards away but on my near-side. When ref's back turned, defending player clearly and cynically boots the ball into row Z without too many people other than me noticing. Quite a lot of background noise from spectators/players so no point shouting and ref does not turn to look at me at any point. I also don't want to be sat there flagging like a lemon when the restart happens surely?!

Same could apply for non-offences, but could do with a word issues (e.g. watch out for..., this needs attention..., ).

Advice?

The Referee Store
Personally I would put the flag straight up in the air and keep it there until the referee notices. Presumably he would then come over and talk about it.

This is something that is good to discuss in pregame. Some refs like an AR to call their name, some don't. I'm fine with my name, but I have a common name, so I tell my ARs that calling "flag" is even better--there is no other reason anyone says flag on a soccer pitch. (And, of course, if the other AR sees a flag, he should immediately flag, too.)

But on this far trail plays, I think it is also critical for ARs to ask themselves how important the call is, and only get involved if it is really important. Hard to tell from the description if this qualifies--I wouldn't expect a ball to be blasted far away with almost no one on the field noticing.

You would generally only get involved in something like this if it was classed as game changing, so something like VC. The referee will have an idea that something has happened when he turns around and the ball is nowhere to be seen, so he or she can choose to come and chat to you if they want to know what has happened.

If the referee has chosen not to look at you (or forgotten) then you are attracting everyone's attention can end up in one of three ways. Referee still doesn't look at you and you end up red faced or he does flags you down/listens to you but ignores your advice. Of course he could take action according to your advice but the risk of the other two options is not worth for something which is not a key match decision.

It's already been said, but your willingness to "die on the hill" should directly relate to the importance of the call to the game.

If it's a ball just over a line for a goal, violent conduct, a second caution, or the foul was clearly outside of the penalty area but the referee calls a penalty kick, then hold the flag/find a way to get the referee's attention in any way possible. Make it very clear that you have important information that you feel the center needs to know. If the center does not heed your advice, that's on him. However, in the event of a second caution or straight send-off I'd probably do whatever it takes to not restart the match until you have that conversation.

If it's a small foul, a borderline foul throw, etc., then if you are ignored just put the flag down and continue doing your job. This happened to me yesterday. I put the flag up for a foul throw, but I don't believe the referee saw my flag. The throw-in happened about 10 yards into his quadrant, so after a few seconds I just put the flag down and stayed on my offside line. It was a throw-in near midfield, so no big deal to let that one go. I'd rather save my "AR capital" for a much more important call should I need it later.

SCREAM YOUR REF'S NAME

In every pre-match I tell ARs "if the flag goes up behind my back, scream my name, I want to hear it from you, not from the players". And I do the same when I am AR.

Your voice is the most effective tool here when your ref is not expecting a flag when the ball is dead.

Back