A&H

Anybody else not looking forward to the start of the season?

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
I'm not. Although I'm not entirely sure why.

Think I may have burnt myself out abit with the ridiculousness of the end of last season (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday x 2, Sunday x 2) for about 4 weeks.

That and I've enjoyed the quiet time in terms of both free weekends and without the admin burden of a busy season.

It has been mental at work too for the last two months, we've been going through a half million pound refit of our premises so we've been working from Portakabins and I've had to effectively project manage the whole operation due to my completely useless boss.

I am also yet to have a summer holiday with the family, which has crept into August this year, so my off season will be a little longer than usual.

I have a friendly scheduled for next weekend so perhaps will get the bug back after that?

Thoughts??

The Referee Store
Other than the inevitable decline in player behaviour.....I think it will be much the same as any other season......

Got my first pre season game tomorrow.......polishing the cards in preperation.

;)

I'm not. Although I'm not entirely sure why.

Think I may have burnt myself out abit with the ridiculousness of the end of last season (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday x 2, Sunday x 2) for about 4 weeks.

That and I've enjoyed the quiet time in terms of both free weekends and without the admin burden of a busy season.

It has been mental at work too for the last two months, we've been going through a half million pound refit of our premises so we've been working from Portakabins and I've had to effectively project manage the whole operation due to my completely useless boss.

I am also yet to have a summer holiday with the family, which has crept into August this year, so my off season will be a little longer than usual.

I have a friendly scheduled for next weekend so perhaps will get the bug back after that?

Thoughts??
give yourself a few weeks break i am sure you will be ok

I always feel a little trepidation when it comes to gearing up for the new season. Like the OP, I have a holiday that spans the first two weekends of August and haven't actually got any pre-season lined up before that, so I'll be going in to competitive matches relatively cold. Add in an ankle injury that may or may not be OK and the start of my season could easily go either way.

But as I say, some of the above is actually pretty standard for me. I'm working on the assumption that once I actually get out there, the bug will hit and I'll be raring for matches by the time the usual festive cancellations begin.

I feel exactly the same funnily enough and I think it was the end of season madness just burnt me out. Even after the extended break and taking up rowing, i'm just not looking forward to the start of the football season at the minute. Have first preseason game on Saturday and then 2 Fridays following that, so will see how things pan out. Hopefully my mojo will be up and running during that lot.... :D

I've made the comment many times that I had put 2015-16 to bed after certain landmark events in my football calendar. Each one crept further into June and then July. My wife then pointed out that there really was no "off season" this year.

I can honestly say that season 2016-17 has begun. Final touches being put to Sunday League fixtures for the season, entries being received for forthcoming season's District Cup competitions, last Tuesday I delivered MOAS training to the local Supply League Observers Pool and today I attended my Professional Game Match Observers Meeting.

Jaded? Yes.

Trepidations? None

Funnily enough, this time last year I was dreading the season starting, and I'm not really sure why that was.

Fast forward 12 months, and I have never been more excited for the new season! No idea why, no change of level, no signficant life changes. I do have two strong assessments in the bank which might have something to do with it!

These things tend to go in peaks and troughs, often for no apparent reason. Just got to stick with it!

I'm a bit worried about the start of the new season, truth be told. I took the last 3 or so months off from football last season after becoming disinterested but I've decided to get straight back into it. Mainly worried cause I haven't managed to get any pre-season games so I'm heading straight back into competitive mens football...

My "off-season" is lasting a total of 3 weeks, this week being the middle one. After the season I kept doing tournaments before I went to the Paris World Cup and now have just this week and next week before a 2 week academy festival, with my West Midlands season starting in the middle of that!

quite the opposite for me @RegalRef , i'm really looking forward to it. was my first season this one just gone and its been a steep learning curve, which i get a buzz from in any new pursuit... feeling reasonably fit, body parts not threatening to fall off, had a few friendlies in the interim with another lined up early august...
first fixture of my playing season not until 2nd week in september so ive got a while to sneak some saturday games in before that ...
with so much to learn ahead of me i cant think of a reason to not be looking forward to this season

I would say don't come back until you are ready, nothing stopping you from starting your season in September or even later.

I'm not currently looking forward to the new season, but I have closed all of my dates until late August so that I should be energised. Once all of the matches are on TV again, you see amateur footie over the park, etc. the buzz should come back. I made the mistake of not really having much of a break last year (only 5 weeks) and I hated the first few months of the season as a result.

Back