A&H

Anxiety on Match-day

OssieSC

Level 3 Referee
First post as a bit of a longer-term lurker but there's an issue that's been creeping up recently and it's been affecting my match-days and games with that.

I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder anyway so there's that in the background, but this hasn't affected my match-days in the last season or throughout pre-season but with my last few games I've had the sort of physical side-effects of Anxiety really affect my match-day. So much so that I've actually felt physically ill because of them and had to "cry off" a fixture due to this illness.

Obviously nerves aren't unusual but it's to the point that thinking about an upcoming game is making me feel sick, and it persists up to kick-off and into the first part of the game and I can tell is affecting my 'aura' for want of a better word in how I referee. It's not a doubt of my own ability but it is affecting my day up to and into the game and not making something I enjoy that enjoyable.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with this or anything that they think could possibly help get rid of this problem?

The Referee Store
Sorry to hear you have this condition. I can't personally help you and hope someone here (or otherwise) can help you overcome it. I have a friend with the same condition ind her anxiety has halted her progress. She has had to call in sick the morning of many games and after a while the appointments officer only appointed her games which would otherwise not be covered (so won't make an impact if she pulls out) which means they are mostly junior games and of a very low standard. She didn't get any assistants too. She is now being appointed mostly as an assistant only despite wanting to be in the middle. No issue when she is an AR.

So if you have any aspirations of moving up the ladder, I suggest even seeking professional help is not a bad idea.

First post as a bit of a longer-term lurker but there's an issue that's been creeping up recently and it's been affecting my match-days and games with that.

I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder anyway so there's that in the background, but this hasn't affected my match-days in the last season or throughout pre-season but with my last few games I've had the sort of physical side-effects of Anxiety really affect my match-day. So much so that I've actually felt physically ill because of them and had to "cry off" a fixture due to this illness.

Obviously nerves aren't unusual but it's to the point that thinking about an upcoming game is making me feel sick, and it persists up to kick-off and into the first part of the game and I can tell is affecting my 'aura' for want of a better word in how I referee. It's not a doubt of my own ability but it is affecting my day up to and into the game and not making something I enjoy that enjoyable.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with this or anything that they think could possibly help get rid of this problem?
I sent you an IM regarding this

I do the same things that helped get over stage fright and being really self conscioud when I was a musician and er, younger.

I visualize a lot. Not scenarios becuase every play is different... but my actions. I think about the details as I get anxious if I don’t have something prepared. I use routines. I know I need 45 mins to get physically and mentally in tune. I don’t leave things to chance in the pre-match because I get really anxious if I am waiting for an AR.

I’ve learnt that sleep deprivation massively compounds my (minor) anxiety.

I think I had the complete opposite condition, the players knew I was reffing and were anxious! 😩
I’m no doctor or physiotherapist but I’m sure there is help out there!

I used to get this but primarily about an injury occurring and me not being able to finish a game. This condition probably doesn't just affect your refereeing so you would be better seeking professional help than talking to a bunch of referees. A sports psychologist might be better than a standard one.

Back