A&H

Another shade of OFFINABUS

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
At 7-0 in an 11-0 season opener in which the youth beat the 30 somethings I cautioned for a player calling another “bloomin’ hobbit”.

No reaction, isolated incident after a coming together. Victim was not so remarkably vertically challenged but a bit on the small side.

Was this smart or a let off?

The Referee Store
At 7-0 in an 11-0 season opener in which the youth beat the 30 somethings I cautioned for a player calling another “bloomin’ hobbit”.

No reaction, isolated incident after a coming together. Victim was not so remarkably vertically challenged but a bit on the small side.

Sounds very harsh..........

Either a chat or a caution, all YHTBT

We need an updated swear chart, it seems their are some new words that need adding or the batteries in my hearing aids need changing.

Come on, really, red card, really, I’d of been reffing 1v1 games, most players swore and were a bit grumpy, sometimes it’s quite funny.... yes, some need their wings clipping but seriously, that’s no way red!!!

Last edited:
Either a chat or a caution, all YHTBT
It was blatant, sweary in midfield, ball in play and with a bit of posturing. I stopped the game very quickly and cautioned.

In this game context red would have been extreme but easily justifiable. It was pejorative, offensive, heighist...

It was blatant, sweary in midfield, ball in play and with a bit of posturing. I stopped the game very quickly and cautioned.

In this game context red would have been extreme but easily justifiable. It was pejorative, offensive, heighist...

Occasionally I think like a player (i know I shouldn't but I was one for 25 years!). Some league's are obviously more 'difficult' than others but I'll be honest here, I've never seen a card given for an insult like that. No one would expect it and whoever said it would probably have the mickey taken out of him for such a tame insult! I understand that this may be unacceptable in certain parts of the country but in the Manchester Leagues,this would not result in a card, of that I'm certain!

We need an updated swear chart, it seems their are some new words that need adding or the batteries in my hearing aids need changing.

Come on, really, red card, really, I’d of been reffing 1v1 games, most players swore and were a bit grumpy, sometimes it’s quite funny.... yes, some need their wings clipping but seriously, that’s no way red!!!
That is the problem. It's not a word association issue. You have to figure out if it's offensive, insulting... or not, can be a swear word can be a normal phrase. One size does not fit all.

That is the problem. It's not a word association issue. You have to figure out if it's offensive, insulting... or not, can be a swear word can be a normal phrase. One size does not fit all.

You can make anything offensive if you really want to. You can over think it to the nth degree. But I'd be amazed if that insult got much of a reaction. Don't make the game harder for you than it needs to be

You can make anything offensive if you really want to. You can over think it to the nth degree. But I'd be amazed if that insult got much of a reaction. Don't make the game harder for you than it needs to be
And on the flip side, you can make anything NOT offensive. And as a referee it's your job to make the decision on the day based on the context of the game/incident and others factors that are unique to every situation. Not based on a chart with some words written on it (by someone probably In a different continent).

I have a feeling we are on the same page but happy to expand on it if we are not.

Remind me again who writes these laws, 🤔 surely it’s our interpretation that should prevail. We’ve got to watch these foreigners, coming over here stealing our Law writing Jobs 😂

And on the flip side, you can make anything NOT offensive. And as a referee it's your job to make the decision on the day based on the context of the game/incident and others factors that are unique to every situation. Not based on a chart with some words written on it (by someone probably In a different continent).

I have a feeling we are on the same page but happy to expand on it if we are not.

If the players don't react or aren't offended then I don't think we should take offence for them. And visa versa of course

Reactions: one
It's the same as a simple foul, Its one mans play-on or can be another mans last part in proceedings!!!

Back