A&H

Another penalty...

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
First time I saw this.
So penalty awarded, red PK taker puts ball down, I start doing my checks, take position, and before I can blow whistle, he takes PK. He is a young lad, so I approach him, and explain that he needs to wait for my whistle before he can take PK.
Take 2: same as above I take my position, and as before he takes it before I can whistle. At this stage I shout wait for my whistle.
Take 3: same again, takes PK before whistle, ball sky high, I then YC red player and restart game with goal kick.
Red captain asked why, explained he needed to wait for my whistle. He relayed message to bench.

On this one I need your input as I'm not sure I've taken the right decision.

The Referee Store
First time I saw this.
So penalty awarded, red PK taker puts ball down, I start doing my checks, take position, and before I can blow whistle, he takes PK. He is a young lad, so I approach him, and explain that he needs to wait for my whistle before he can take PK.
Take 2: same as above I take my position, and as before he takes it before I can whistle. At this stage I shout wait for my whistle.
Take 3: same again, takes PK before whistle, ball sky high, I then YC red player and restart game with goal kick.
Red captain asked why, explained he needed to wait for my whistle. He relayed message to bench.

On this one I need your input as I'm not sure I've taken the right decision.
I think the only thing wrong here is it should have been an idfk as opposed to a goal kick because it was an offence by the kicker.

Funny, I was reading about penalty procedure today in my handbook (particularly around feinting in a penalty shootout I watched)

As above, that's the only thing I can find.
"If, before the ball is in play, one of the following occurs:
* The player taking the penalty kick or a team-mate offends:
If the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and restarts with an indirect free kick, except for the following when play will be stopped and restarted with an indirect free kick regardless of whether or not a goal is scored: (a penalty kick is kicked backwards, a team-mate of the identified kicker takes the kick, feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up)"

I actually think this was incorrect in law. Though the law is not clearly written, the penalty for any offences apply if the offence happens after the referee has signalled for the kick to be taken. In OP no signal so caution the taker (dissent or delaying the restart) and allow him to actually take the kick correctly.

As an analogy if the taker has committed a different caution able offence (AAA) before the signal, would you be doing the same?

I agree with @one. The PK still needed to be taken. (Though I think the caution would be for PO.)

A couple of suggestions. I always tell the kicker to wait for the whistle. And I would caution on the second offense—you called back the first, told him clearly, and he did it again. No reason to wait for a third offense.

(Historical aside: until the magic book got amended to make the whistle mandatory on PKs, many refs would simply treat this as a miss—“he wouldn’t have kicked it it if I hadn’t signaled. Wink, wink, nod, nod. Making the whistle mandatory took that possibility away.)

It should be a caution for the taker, but the restart is still a penalty kick. Taking the kick before the referee gives a signal is not, technically speaking, an offense.

Back