A&H

Another new Ref. 3 official games in

rolfep

Just posting to say Hi

Took the course with BedsFA last month after wanting to get officially qualified rather than doing the odd game because our teams had no FA assigned referee's. I've been coaching since 2008, qualified as a Level 1 in 2009, and over the years have completed Level2, Youth Module 1&2 and in 2019 as a UEFA B coach which I'm massively proud of.

Over those years I've refereed many games from U5 through to U16 at youth level and a Over35 Vets game (they were very easy on me).

With my U18s finishing this season under me I wanted to stay in the sport I love and continue as a Referee. I also coach an U14 girls team and will continue to do so.

The leagues around me organsied the first 3 official games and I feel they went pretty well. I did however think that in one of the games I should have cautioned one of the players for a dangerous tackle.

Game 1:
U13 boys game, one very strong team and one bottom of table. Game was in very good spirit with only 2 free kicks the whole game through tackles. One tackle though I ended up just speaking to the player where technically it was a red card. He lunged 2 footed at another player in trying to win the ball. he missed the ball and luckily the player. the only reaction from sidelines/managers/players was silence. I blew straight away and in a few seconds considered my action. I decided to just talk to the player. Reason was no contact, game in good spirit, age group and no reaction from anyone. After the game neither manager commented negitavely (was the opposite). What are your thoughts?
I'll add that had the game been more physical or an older group or because of a reaction on the sides or that's what the game expected then the outcome would have been different.

Game 2:
U14 Boys, again, game in good spirit, another tackle that warranted a caution but as the player didn't win the ball or connect with the opposing player i allowed play to continue as they then attacked. I almost blew. The player made a few tackles after that were late and in which free kicks were given. At half time i wrote his number down as I wanted to keep an eye on him. The 2nd half came and went and he didn't make any other late tackles. I came away regretting a mistake. After reflecting for some time and in hindsight I should have allowed play to continue and when the game then stopped again(ball out of play) I should have gone back and cautioned the player. Again, any thoughts on this.

the 3rd Game went without any doubts in my mind. After the game walking back to the car i heard 3 players saying "the Ref was great today". A huge compliment which sent me home buzzing.

I've no doubt at all that at U13/U14 that games are less problematic/busy but looking forward already to the next one.

I used Refsix to manage the match in addition to a Leap digital watch. They both performed brilliantly - the Leap watch having a countdown time and a ball out of play timer. I only recorded goals on the Refsix App on my watch as well as the match time. I was then able to send to the manager the times of all the goals. The App also recorded all my movements, walking, jogging and sprinting. I covered 3 miles in each of those matches.

Anyway, thanks for reading and Hi...

Paul

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 24
The Referee Store
Game 1. There is only one way to manage a red card offence, With a red card
You are negating your duty by leaving a player who should be off the pitch, on the pitch. Someone is guilty of a red card offence, they are off
Its not even up for debate. If you have deemed the act a red card offence, all bets are off. Are you sure it was serious foul play?

Game 2. You have nailed it with your own thoughts, If you are not taking him for the advantage foul, get him the next time

Game 3, in one ear, out the other.

Good reflectiion though.

You are negating your duty by leaving a player who should be off the pitch, on the pitch. Someone is guilty of a red card offence, they are off
Its not even up for debate. If you have deemed the act a red card offence, all bets are off. Are you sure it was serious foul play?

Game 2. You have nailed it with your own thoughts, If you are not taking him for the advantage foul, get him the next time

Good reflectiion though.
Extremely difficult to sell a red card for a lunge that misses everything, and I would argue would probably be the wrong decision. Caution with a "you are really lucky you missed him or this would be red" message would be my approach. I might be missing something obvious, but did the OP mention SFP or even that he was thinking red card?

Extremely difficult to sell a red card for a lunge that misses everything, and I would argue would probably be the wrong decision. Caution with a "you are really lucky you missed him or this would be red" message would be my approach. I might be missing something obvious, but did the OP mention SFP or even that he was thinking red card?

i did put the disclaimer, are you sure it was serious foul play?

i was referring to the posters use of ' technically it was a red card"

Last edited:

Good reflectiion though.
Thanks, This I think is why i came away doubting my descision. He was lucky not to have hit the player, both feet off the ground at speed and not in control so yes I think it was a red. One for next time.

Cheers, Red was my inital thoughts and then as I walked over I considered sideline reaction, players and game so far. I think I got it wrong now though.

Just in this first one, as a guide for 95% of the time:

- 2 footed, no contact with ball or opponent = Caution

- 2 footed, contact with ball and opponent = Red

- 2 footed, contact with opponent, no contact with the ball = Red

That other 5% is the one where it’s obvious a player has gone in to nail the opponent it’s written large on their face and body language, and they’re likely to get smacked by one of the opposition if you can’t get there quickly enough.

Irrespective of whether there is contact on the player or not, they’re gone.

Back