A&H

Annoying Injury!

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
4 weeks until the new season arrives and rather annoyingly I've managed to pick up an injury!
It's only a slight calf strain, nothing too serious but enough to mess me around!
Anyone who's had one before, how long should I rest it for? it's been 2 weeks since I did it so far...

The Referee Store
hmm sounds like a little more than a slight strain if its been two weeks already? maybe try a little acupuncture.... i'd thouroughly recommend it

24 months or so ago I "tweaked" my calf muscle. Ever since, whenever I run or do any exercise, I wear a pair of tight football socks pulled up (just as you would do when ref-ing) They act like the compression undershorts I wear ever since I pulled my hamstring, except for the calf muscles.

Can look a little odd when pounding the pavements on a hot day but have definitely helped.

24 months or so ago I "tweaked" my calf muscle. Ever since, whenever I run or do any exercise, I wear a pair of tight football socks pulled up (just as you would do when ref-ing) They act like the compression undershorts I wear ever since I pulled my hamstring, except for the calf muscles.

Can look a little odd when pounding the pavements on a hot day but have definitely helped.

actually yes thats a good point i do use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/DANISH-END...2707&sr=8-5&keywords=danish+compression+socks
when i play squash, not sure whether they work for everyone, but i find ive had less calf problems since i started using them

4 weeks until the new season arrives and rather annoyingly I've managed to pick up an injury!
It's only a slight calf strain, nothing too serious but enough to mess me around!
Anyone who's had one before, how long should I rest it for? it's been 2 weeks since I did it so far...
Calf compression is great, stops the muscle bouncing around when you run.

If it has been two weeks and it has not recovered, arrange an appointment for a sports massage/sports physio.

Thanks guys, I'll try some calf compression gear to start and see if that works for me at all first and go from there

Had big problems with my calf muscles over last couple of seasons, missed a 6 week period last October with a calf pull. Go and see a sports massage therapist or physio get all the scar tissue broken down and muscle loosened off. I also use a foam roller to self massage my legs and fingers crossed its still working. During game I wear 'hilly' compression sleeves with neoprene supports over the top to give support and keep them muscles nice and warm.
Good luck with the re hab

Had big problems with my calf muscles over last couple of seasons, missed a 6 week period last October with a calf pull. Go and see a sports massage therapist or physio get all the scar tissue broken down and muscle loosened off. I also use a foam roller to self massage my legs and fingers crossed its still working. During game I wear 'hilly' compression sleeves with neoprene supports over the top to give support and keep them muscles nice and warm.
Good luck with the re hab
We don't want to know about your self-massage ;)

Aled, definitely agree with what's been said. Compressions are good, but as maintenance and prevention, not for injury recovery. Get to a sports therapist/physic and have them go through it. Last thing you want as a ref is lower leg issues, trust me!

Don't ignore it and try and run through it either - They are the kind of injury which which persist all season if you don't get it it sorted out.

Well tried running and it put up a fight after 15 mins :/ Looks like I need to visit a physio then

Reactions: SM
Aled you should have listened to us older folk and rested it coz now your probably gonna miss the start of the season. Plenty of ice for next 48/72 hours and minimal stretching of it in that period and then start heat and ice alternately after 72hrs with light stretching then go see a physio or sports massage therapist and let them work their magic. Good luck

I did a pre season middle on Thursday night on a 3g pitch involving a supply league side, turned and jarred my ankle, painful at first but ran it off, Friday morning went on a stag weekend to Benidorm, most it on feet and some disco dancing, laid in sun and have burnt my feet. Now I have a sore twisted ankle which is also burnt! Need rest and ice!

See the physio, get the problem sorted BUT be aware that it may be as simple as recurring cramp and/or dehydration. I suffered from what I thought was recurring calf injuries. I did strengthening exercises, post exercise stretches and tracked their occurrence. It was always after a particular period time in a game. I decided to up my liquid intake, keep track on my salt/sugar levels and keep moving around at half time. They didn't completely go away but it felt more like cramps than a tear and a 15 second mid game stretch usually cleared the problem.

Absolutely, often injuries are a symptom a problem somewhere else. I had loads of injury problems, mainly manifesting in the calf and groin. It was only when I got a knee problem that the physio worked out what the problem was, and since then the exercises that I've been given are (hopefully) keeping me injury free. The body compensates, and where you get the pain isn't necessarily where the underlying problem is.

I had calf issues during the last 2 months of the season and just about managed to get through the games I had left. Turned out I had some issues with my pelvis that were tightening the muscles all down my leg, which was why it was happening. Got that sorted and no issues (touchwood) when I've been running during preseason.

Back