A&H

Annoyed

RefJef

RefChat Addict
U16 Cup game, high standard of football ( a national cup that had moved from local to county to regional stages)

First half, free kick on half way line to blues, orange skipper stands in front of ball to stop it being taken quickly - we’ve all been there, happens too often. I have to be pro-active (I.e tell him,) to move, which he does. I take up position ready for free kick, only for orange right back to start moaning about how long blues are taking to take the kick. This annoys me!

Call orange captain & right back over, and explain that I’m not having one of them holding up the play and another one moaning about the hold up in play. Public warning.

Fast forward to 2nd half. Orange now 2-0 up with 10 mins to go, clearly the better side.

Blue goal kick, as keeper prepares to take kick, orange striker (who’se been as good as gold all game) asks to do his laces. I agree ( would have done so for Blues), we pause, he does his laces, keeper takes kick.

As ball is in the air, orange skipper (him again) is stood next to me and starts whinging and complaining to me about how long the keeper has taken to take the kick.

This annoys me even more!

Next stoppage in play, yellow card for Orange skipper.

After the game, Orange coach is delighted I’ve booked him. “They’re good footballers, but some of them are getting above their station.”

Anyway, rant over. Blues got one back, so an “exciting” last 5 mins, but Orange ended up 2-1 winners. Just wanted to get it off my chest.

The Referee Store
It's interesting at the youth levels of good teams, the coaches are looking for referees to get hold of the players. I did a good standard under 16s and I remember the coach of one side telling me he'd given last week's referee a 3/10 because he hadn't booked a couple of his players for reckless challenges. The ref apparently thought he was doing them a favour, but the coach was bemoaning the fact that his players got used to getting away with it.

It's interesting at the youth levels of good teams, the coaches are looking for referees to get hold of the players. I did a good standard under 16s and I remember the coach of one side telling me he'd given last week's referee a 3/10 because he hadn't booked a couple of his players for reckless challenges. The ref apparently thought he was doing them a favour, but the coach was bemoaning the fact that his players got used to getting away with it.
There's a myth that constantly goes round: That refs who keep their cards in their pockets get the best club marks. I think your story explains why that's rubbish - if I miss bookings as a ref, I'm going to piss off one team as a minimum. If the other team's led by a principled manager such as yours, I'm going to annoy both teams. That doesn't sound like the way to climb the club mark rankings.

Or the referee didn’t deem them reckless 😜

Read past the third word perhaps?

No myth at all, if you expect to get great club marks when you've sprayed buttercups everywhere you're gonna be sadly disappointed. You may of had a stormer by the letter of the law but thats not usually how they see it!!! I know lots of old boys that turn their hearing aids off, let them get on with it, get paid, no hassles, get great club marks too. By the letter of the Law you shouldn't let them look after your kids never mind near 22 adults!!!

No myth at all, if you expect to get great club marks when you've sprayed buttercups everywhere you're gonna be sadly disappointed. You may of had a stormer by the letter of the law but thats not usually how they see it!!! I know lots of old boys that turn their hearing aids off, let them get on with it, get paid, no hassles, get great club marks too. By the letter of the Law you shouldn't let them look after your kids never mind near 22 adults!!!
Maybe we work at different levels then, because I know my experience more closely matches @Justylove 's. If I spent 90 minutes letting team A kick team B around the pitch with no consequences, I can guarantee team B will mark me down - and I wouldn't be surprised at all if team A did the same as well!

I fart in the general direction of Club Marks and Club ARs !!!

What a complete abomination of a system that allows clubs to have influence on ones officiating ability !!

I hope if i had the misfortune to suffer this sham that I would also leave feedback for the club, advising them to switch to a 4-5-1 next week and recommend the gk works on his angles more , on the plus side, his distribution is ok. .

Or the referee didn’t deem them reckless 😜

Ah, I hate explaining this. I had a manager, not confront me but ask me why I cautioned about three of his players but none of the opposition once. Said that it came across as if I was cautioning his team for every foul they made. It was just one of those where his teams tackles were a touch reckless and the others wasn't. But it plays on the back of mind as to whether I'm applying it consistently or not.

Maybe we work at different levels then, because I know my experience more closely matches @Justylove 's. If I spent 90 minutes letting team A kick team B around the pitch with no consequences, I can guarantee team B will mark me down - and I wouldn't be surprised at all if team A did the same as well!

It is a myth as most RefsSecs, who get to see club marks and card counts, will tell you. Generally speaking, those with the highest and lowest card counts will be towards the bottom of the merit table. The former annoy the clubs by using too many cards often for trifling offences, the latter annoy them even more as they don't use cards and as a result lose control.

It is a myth as most RefsSecs, who get to see club marks and card counts, will tell you. Generally speaking, those with the highest and lowest card counts will be towards the bottom of the merit table. The former annoy the clubs by using too many cards often for trifling offences, the latter annoy them even more as they don't use cards and as a result lose control.
Didn't know there was a Goldilocks zone for referees

What happens to those who use cards but don't report them?

If they get caught they get charged and usually suspended. It is much harder to get away with it these days, as with match based suspension clubs are expected to contact their CFA if a caution report doesn't come through.

The amount of times I’ve been asked “ ref are you sending them in ? the ref last week didn’t “ annoys me

The amount of times I’ve been asked “ ref are you sending them in ? the ref last week didn’t “ annoys me
Yes, this question gets tedious. I even had a Herts Senior County player ask this today in a Junior County Cup game. Implies a lot of referees don't bother

Back