A&H

An American Ref in London...suggestions?

James Meacham

Hello, fellow officials.

I'm an American living in Southern California currently who has been seconded by my firm to London for the entire summer. Refereeing at the weekends is one of my primary joys in life and also the way I keep in shape. I've got 12 formal years experience and am a USSF grade 7 (approx level 6 in England--amateur adult and high-level youth) though I have been as high as a grade 6 (5 in England). For the three months I'm in London, I'm hoping to keep officiating lest I get fat and forget how to do it. I've tried emailing the London FA referee representative twice over the last month with no response. Does anyone know if it's possible to, through some means of testing and/or assessment, register with the London FA? Does anyone know of a direct way of contacting the London FA referee representatives? Any suggestions re: feasibility or process? I really would love to get keep myself sharp and also experience a new brand of football. Thanks,
James

The Referee Store
Hi James, I live in London and have refereed here since I started.

Who have you tried to contact at London FA?

CA, That's great to hear. I've found various names on different FA websites and have reached out to both Hugh Gilroy and Natalie Doyle, several times now.

Good luck with any appointments, I hope there isn't too much of a language barrier near the smoke! You are about 170 miles from proper spoken English unfortunately! :yawn:

Oh, and don't call it soccer!!! Ha ha.
Let's give the guy a break on the terminology.
Soccer is actually a British 'invention' which is shortening of 'Association Football'. In the 1860s, there was more than one sport named 'Football', primarily 'Rugby Football' and 'Association Football'. Both these were popularly called 'Rugger' and 'Assoccer' respectively and the latter quickly became 'Soccer'. The story goes that it was an Oxford University student who originally coined the phrase after being asked which game he'd come to play.
'Soccer' was historically the name used by the gentry and the lower classes used 'Football' instead as it became more popular. Most of the English speaking countries across the world had their own versions of 'Football' therefore, it made sense for them to refer to the game as 'Soccer'.
And now we seem to disown it.

Only in the USA could you have a World Series and not invite anybody else in!

Only in The USA can you claim to invent just about everything only to find out it was some other countries invention taken there and moniterised! They're good at that!

Hello, fellow officials.

I'm an American living in Southern California currently who has been seconded by my firm to London for the entire summer. Refereeing at the weekends is one of my primary joys in life and also the way I keep in shape. I've got 12 formal years experience and am a USSF grade 7 (approx level 6 in England--amateur adult and high-level youth) though I have been as high as a grade 6 (5 in England). For the three months I'm in London, I'm hoping to keep officiating lest I get fat and forget how to do it. I've tried emailing the London FA referee representative twice over the last month with no response. Does anyone know if it's possible to, through some means of testing and/or assessment, register with the London FA? Does anyone know of a direct way of contacting the London FA referee representatives? Any suggestions re: feasibility or process? I really would love to get keep myself sharp and also experience a new brand of football. Thanks,
James
Hi James,

I am a London FA Referee and close to Hugh and the guys if you need any help when you get here just send me a message on here and i will help you as much as i can mate.

We hold a mastermind meeting every month as well so will let you know.

Safe trip.

Mick.

Thanks, everyone. I've got most of it sorted. The only problem is that my State Association (Cal South) won't issue a hard copy letter of my qualification and experience. Proving a bit of a pain. I've still got another couple months in the UK, so I hope to pick up some matches while I'm here.

Now, I've got my FA bits done, but I can't find a Safeguarding Children workshop that will get me on the pitch within a few months. Anyone know of any courses with openings within a couple of weeks? I'd like to get out on the pitch relatively soon and right now I'm not going to be out there until October...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Back