A&H

After match incident

TSHudson

Level 6 Referee
Had my very first official name take and threat of a complaint on Sunday :)

It was a bit laughable, as while I'm sure some of my decisions another referee might've given another way, but not a single controversial moment (in fact managers from both teams said I had a great game). But the one gobby player, thought I was the worst ref he'd ever had and wanted my name so he could make an "official" complaint.

But the best bit, at the end of our discussion, he said "So now I have your name, my mum will be making a complaint" :D

The Referee Store
Don’t have to give anyone your name if they want it it’s in the team sheet or match card had this a lot last season I sent a manager off and his wife wanted my name lol just pointed her to the team manager and walked away it needs to be stoped that they think they can report us for things they don’t like !

Just tell him that his club secretary / manager / captain has your details otherwise you wouldn't have been there, then walk away.

I really hope I got reported, many times... I’d love it if the real truth came out and the knobs were proper humiliated in public!

I've had one better, I had a spectator say he was going to call the police on me last season.

Can only presume he thought my refereeing was criminal.

I'll see myself out.
I had two better. I had a spectator saying he is an off duty police officer before trying to intimidate me. Didn't pay any attention because if he actually was an off duty cop he would have known what he was doing would be a crime.

Last year, i parked up on a frosty morning and walked down to the pitch to do an inspection for a Sunday League game (I could've done it from my bedroom window it had been -4, overnight). I was joined by a player who claimed to be a referee. As I walked on to the pitch it was obviously frozen solid so I turned around and began to walk back and the guy started arguing with me, saying that i was a disgrace and that he'd reffed on much worse and that he'd report me! I asked him what level he was and he said 2 :) I just told him to improve his lying and off we went.

I had two better. I had a spectator saying he is an off duty police officer before trying to intimidate me. Didn't pay any attention because if he actually was an off duty cop he would have known what he was doing would be a crime.
How would that mean he isn't an off-duty cop, knowing and doing it anyway?

How would that mean he isn't an off-duty cop, knowing and doing it anyway?
It doesn't necessarily mean that. But thinking about it, he is risking a report exposing him and jeopardising his job. Even without a report if he follows through with whatever he says, given that he has said he is a cop and used it for intimidation is going to work against him in the court of law.

At the end it all sums up to a lot of hot air coming out of his mouth, even in the extremely unlikely chance of he actually is a cop.

I don't really understand the reluctance to just give the jacka*s in front of you your name that some are expressing in here. Surely we all know they aren't going to report you. And even if they were to report you, what's wrong with that? Maybe the FA will eventually introduce a fine for filing stupid reports and these people will stop.

I don't really understand the reluctance to just give the jacka*s in front of you your name that some are expressing in here. Surely we all know they aren't going to report you. And even if they were to report you, what's wrong with that? Maybe the FA will eventually introduce a fine for filing stupid reports and these people will stop.

Why bother wasting time talking to someone who could easily go and get your name from one of the teams?

It's an intimidation tactic, they are trying to show off by attempting to put the referee on the spot and demanding their name, when they wouldn't say boo to a goose if they saw the referee walking down the highstreet later that afternoon.

Why bother wasting time talking to someone who could easily go and get your name from one of the teams?

It's an intimidation tactic, they are trying to show off by attempting to put the referee on the spot and demanding their name, when they wouldn't say boo to a goose if they saw the referee walking down the highstreet later that afternoon.

Agree, it isn't worth getting into a discussion with them, even just to give your name. Just say that the manager / secretary will have your name and they should know of the process for reporting, then walk away.

Agree, it isn't worth getting into a discussion with them, even just to give your name. Just say that the manager / secretary will have your name and they should know of the process for reporting, then walk away.
Isn't it just quicker to say... my name is 'Big Cat' and walk off, than it is to discuss managers and secretaries etc?
Whatever, brevity is the most important thing

Isn't it just quicker to say... my name is 'Big Cat' and walk off, than it is to discuss managers and secretaries etc?
Whatever, brevity is the most important thing

Quicker yes, but they are trying to intimidate you by asking for your name so I personally wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Players can't report you, only the person(s) that has the direct contact with the league officials, such as manager or secretary, can, so why should anyone else need your name.

Back