A&H

Junior/Youth Advice

Harry Sanger

Level 7 Referee
I'm a new referee and I ref mainly Under 13s games.
I just wondered, if a player is down injured, should I always stop play immediately? I reffed an under 13s game today and multiple times players went down injured and I stopped the game everytime.
And if I am stopping the play for this, is it always a drop ball? Even if one team are clearly in possession?
Thanks!

The Referee Store
Hi Harry,

If you're stopping play due to an injury, then it's always a drop ball. Law 8 covers this.

As for how quickly should you stop play....give the player a few moments to see if he looks hurt or if he's just getting his breath back. The LOTG state 'serious injury' is when you stop play, although 'serious' is relative; at youth levels you want to stop play a lot quicker. Probably a lot quicker than is really necessary, so even if you can tell the player's in a bit of pain but not in any real trouble, you'll still want to stop play.
What is happening on the field would have an impact on my decision; I'm not going to stop a clear attack just because somebody is lying down holding a slightly bruised shin. Not unless he's on the ground in the PA where the ball's about to go.

Head injuries are different, naturally.

Hi Harry,

If you're stopping play due to an injury, then it's always a drop ball. Law 8 covers this.

As for how quickly should you stop play....give the player a few moments to see if he looks hurt or if he's just getting his breath back. The LOTG state 'serious injury' is when you stop play, although 'serious' is relative; at youth levels you want to stop play a lot quicker. Probably a lot quicker than is really necessary, so even if you can tell the player's in a bit of pain but not in any real trouble, you'll still want to stop play.
What is happening on the field would have an impact on my decision; I'm not going to stop a clear attack just because somebody is lying down holding a slightly bruised shin. Not unless he's on the ground in the PA where the ball's about to go.

Head injuries are different, naturally.
Okay thanks mate

I also stop play if young players get winded and don't carry on playing as they get quite upset if they can't catch their breath.

Even if the injury isn't serious enough to stop play, I usually do a passing comment asking if they're alright.

I also stop play if young players get winded and don't carry on playing as they get quite upset if they can't catch their breath.

Even if the injury isn't serious enough to stop play, I usually do a passing comment asking if they're alright.
how young?

The safety of children playing football is paramount. Even if you suspect there is a little brinksmanship, always think ensuring safety first.

For instance, today I did with U12
I agree with a word in passing to make sure they're OK, but I don't stop play unless I believe it is serious enough to warrant it. Some U12's know precisely what they are doing and feign an injury is more severe than it actually is, when the opposition could be breaking... (but do also visually/verbally show you have spotted that they are down, and whilst play continues visually check whether they are up or not). And don't forget, if the coach comes on to pour some magic water, the (injured) player has to leave the FOP until you allow them back on.

In terms of the drop ball, if one teams clearly in possession I usually drop it to one player (from the team without possession) who kicks it back giving possession back to the other team. Hasn't now worked yet thankfully.

You are only obliged to stop the game if you think an injury could be serious. Having said that with the younger age groups I always stop if they are in tears. I refused to stop play in an OA game a couple of years ago when the striker went down. The defending team broke away and scored. The 'injured player' then ran about 70 yards to tell me that I should have stopped play as he was injured ! Yeah, looks like it mate !

Back