A&H

Advice for Young/New Referees

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone! Lots of people on here have been so helpful already! I was wondering if any higher level referees have any advice for a Level 7 referee going for Level 6 please?

If possible, I would like to go right to the top and I am currently 19 so perhaps I have time to do so 🙏

Any advice whatsoever is welcome! And any nuances of the game or pre/post-match tips or kits and accessories/equipment - absolutely anything at all is welcome!

Thanks so much for any advice 🙏

The Referee Store
it's not all about how you handle yourself on the pitch. while it helps to be a good ref you need to make sure you excel in other areas as well:

admin and communication - make sure you respond to clubs, ref secs, other refs in good time and always respond, even if just to acknowledge that you've seen and read something. be aware that clubs will be looking at you from the moment they send the pre match email / text until you leave after the game so make sure all communication is appropriate.

closed dates - make sure you keep on top of your closed dates, nothing worse than being appointed to a game and then having to come off because you're working / seeing the family etc. It happens to all of us at some time or other, but dont make a habit of it, people have long memories.

availability - no one expects you to be availabe every single weekend, but try give a few midweeks and weekends every month.

fitness - keep yourself as fit as possible to ensure good performance on the day

appearance - rightly or wrongly this will always be some consideration from other refs and clubs. black boots, clean and smart kit, smart suit / tracksuit (if required) can all help build an image of you and (again rightly or wrongly) can help clubs form an opinion of you before you even step foot on the pitch.

you have control over how you perform in all of the above areas, get into good habbits now and they'll stay with you throughout your career.

I think your question is very broad, what exactly would you like advice on?
Well as I’ve improved as a referee, there are lots of things that I have learned that have helped me become a better referee like pre-match routines, cautioning procedures, substitute procedures etc. I was just curious to see if anyone else has similar tips as they are higher levels than me!

it's not all about how you handle yourself on the pitch. while it helps to be a good ref you need to make sure you excel in other areas as well:

admin and communication - make sure you respond to clubs, ref secs, other refs in good time and always respond, even if just to acknowledge that you've seen and read something. be aware that clubs will be looking at you from the moment they send the pre match email / text until you leave after the game so make sure all communication is appropriate.

closed dates - make sure you keep on top of your closed dates, nothing worse than being appointed to a game and then having to come off because you're working / seeing the family etc. It happens to all of us at some time or other, but dont make a habit of it, people have long memories.

availability - no one expects you to be availabe every single weekend, but try give a few midweeks and weekends every month.

fitness - keep yourself as fit as possible to ensure good performance on the day

appearance - rightly or wrongly this will always be some consideration from other refs and clubs. black boots, clean and smart kit, smart suit / tracksuit (if required) can all help build an image of you and (again rightly or wrongly) can help clubs form an opinion of you before you even step foot on the pitch.

you have control over how you perform in all of the above areas, get into good habbits now and they'll stay with you throughout your career.
That’s wonderful advice! Thanks a lot 🙏 i have recently updated my entire kit and equipment so it’s all the best i could find to ensure my appearance or equipment doesn’t hold me back.

Back