A&H

Advice about personal hearing

pankaye

Level 5 Referee
I have been invited as a witness to a personal hearing for a manager who got reported by me (the AR) and the Ref for an incident after a game. Any advice on what to expect, dress codes etc. i have never attended one and i am quite nervous to be honest.

The Referee Store
Don’t be Nervous stand & look the fella in the eye & get it dealt with.

Your there on behalf of thousands of us referees, if people like you & the ref didn’t report & face these incidents then people would continue to get away with it.

If you were in or around London & I was allowed I’d go with you guys for support.

Good luck with it & hopefully the punishment fits the crime for a change.

Wear smart clothes, not jeans / trainers. When you’re asked if you have anything to add to your report state “no” - If you needed to add anything it should be in the report already. Keep replies brief but factual and don’t embellish answers. If you don’t know, say so. Take a copy of your report, and if possible the other officials’ reports, as well as your match record. Smile.
Most importantly, TURN YOUR PHONE OFF! The easiest commission I ever went to, the player’s phone went off after three minutes. If they could have introduced capital punishment for referee abuse he would have swung!
As SF says, don’t worry what happens.

I recall a very, very useful slideshow on hearings on a website - can’t remember whether it was my county or the FA’s general website but was very helpful indeed. I’ll see if I can find it

I only ever went to one, complete and utter bullcrap, offending team never turned up and nice team backed my version of events 100%, they got let off because of lack of evidence, evidence that they didn't want to ask for due to another legal matter!!!!! So I appealed Twice to London HQ, It ended in me spending 30minutes discussing points of Law with a very very senior FA lawyer and getting an apology for the debacle at my County FA who couldn't run a legal bath! Left a serious bad taste in the mouth and a point of law that you all are vulnerable for because to my knowledge they haven't closed the loophole!!!!

I attended one, confirmed what was in my report, had nothing more to add.
Club wanted to question me, were not allowed.....I was allowed to leave........Club just put themselves deeper in the sh1t.

If you're a member of the RA, contact them. That's what they are there for.

It is usual practice that you are entitled to be accompanied by another person. If you feel this would be helpful the your RA should be able to provide support.

Don’t be Nervous stand & look the fella in the eye & get it dealt with.

I would say the opposite, look the player / coach in the eye when you first arrive, but once the hearing starts I wouldn't recommend it. He can't talk to you directly, and if the defendant wants to ask a question of you he can only do it through the chairman who will then ask you. For that reason your response is to the chairman, so it is him you should be looking at.

I would say the opposite, look the player / coach in the eye when you first arrive, but once the hearing starts I wouldn't recommend it. He can't talk to you directly, and if the defendant wants to ask a question of you he can only do it through the chairman who will then ask you. For that reason your response is to the chairman, so it is him you should be looking at.

That’s what I meant Rusty look him in the eye and get it dealt with.

I didn’t say get in there and stare at him for the whole time you are there.

Back