A&H

Advantage

Ref1981

White vs. Blue. Blue player gets tackled carelessly (so no need for card) and I give advantage. Player continues playing and he tries to pass ball to his teammate, but pass is bad and gets intercepted by opposing player. Should I give a freekick or just let the game go on, because white team didn't gain advantage for tackling blue player? I seem to have this happening all the time, especially on younger (U14 and U12) players and don't really know what I should be doing.

The Referee Store
YHTBT
"Player continues" for how long?
If it's 1 second after the challenge and you have already signalled advantage, then maybe you signalled too quickly.
If it's three seconds after you signalled advantage then don't bring it back.

Also, where on the field?
If you have given a clear advantage in the attacking third and the player continues playing, touches the ball a few times, and then tries a cross or through ball, of course play on.
If you have given an advantage in midfield or the defensive zone... and it wasn't a breakaway... maybe you should not have called advantage... because this is what happens;)

White vs. Blue. Blue player gets tackled carelessly (so no need for card) and I give advantage. Player continues playing ...
There seems to be something missing from your description. Where are you seeing a real advantage here? Maybe there's more to the situation than you're describing, something that, to quote from the law, translates into "the chance of an immediate, promising attack" but if so, it's not evident from what you've described.

Just because the player is able to keep going, it doesn't necessarily mean that his team will benefit. For me, a true advantage should mean more than mere possession of the ball. Ideally, as mentioned, an "immediate, promising attack" should be in the offing.

Especially with younger and/or less skilful players I think you need to consider whether they might not be better off with the free kick. If, as you say, you "seem to have this happening all the time," then I think you need to seriously consider the possibility that you're trying to play advantage too often, when it just isn't applicable.

There seems to be something missing from your description. Where are you seeing a real advantage here? Maybe there's more to the situation than you're describing, something that, to quote from the law, translates into "the chance of an immediate, promising attack" but if so, it's not evident from what you've described.

Just because the player is able to keep going, it doesn't necessarily mean that his team will benefit. For me, a true advantage should mean more than mere possession of the ball. Ideally, as mentioned, an "immediate, promising attack" should be in the offing.

Especially with younger and/or less skilful players I think you need to consider whether they might not be better off with the free kick. If, as you say, you "seem to have this happening all the time," then I think you need to seriously consider the possibility that you're trying to play advantage too often, when it just isn't applicable.

This 1000%. Advantage is so over-used in lower skill games. You should almost never play advantage in the defending third unless you have very skilled teams. Advantage is often used by refs as a crutch to not call a simple foul and under the guise of "letting the game flow". Give the FK and let them boot the ball forward instead of having to pass out of their own half. This isn't the Premier League. Game flow and entertainment for fans is not our priority. Match control is. A good way to keep a match under control is to call the foul with the fullback gets his ankle kicked but keeps the ball 80 yards from the opposing goal.

In the midfield and attacking third, you can give it a couple seconds to see if a real attack is developing. If it doesn't or they lose the ball, then blow the whistle and give the free kick. Don't be too quick to signal and yell advantage. See the foul and observe. If an actual advantage develops then signal it.

White vs. Blue. Blue player gets tackled carelessly (so no need for card) and I give advantage. Player continues playing and he tries to pass ball to his teammate, but pass is bad and gets intercepted by opposing player. Should I give a freekick or just let the game go on, because white team didn't gain advantage for tackling blue player? I seem to have this happening all the time, especially on younger (U14 and U12) players and don't really know what I should be doing.

I used to do the same thing and almost started confusing myself into what I deemed to be the player losing their own advantage. When you see the challenge, wait a few seconds. See who picks up the ball and what they do next. for example, If they make a pass and its intercepted you didn't play advantage so pull it back. If the pass is completed, then play advantage. literally declare advantage when the advantage is already in progress, not as it starts

See who picks up the ball and what they do next. for example, If they make a pass and its intercepted you didn't play advantage so pull it back

Ah but I would be careful how you consider this! A bad mistimed pass because the player played a bad pass doesn't necessarily mean that the advantage you gave never materialised. Consider the following 2 scenarios:
1- As in the OP, the player who was tackled carries on, regains possession and control of the ball and his body takes a touch or two and passes to a teammate which is intercepted by the opposition. That IMO is precursor for a failed advantage, the player's lack of ability to make a correct pass when fully in control of the body, his motion and the ball is not your fault. Therefore my call would be to play on, interception is good and the attacking player is the one who wasted the advantage.

2- Again the fouled player regains control of the ball but is not really in control of his body or motion his bad pass is a result of the foul that caused him to be lacking control over their motion and therefore the pass and its intended recipient.

I would say that also applies to a pass to a player in an offside position, if the player was in full control and the foul didn't cause lack of control then yes offside call would be correct.

Ah but I would be careful how you consider this! A bad mistimed pass because the player played a bad pass doesn't necessarily mean that the advantage you gave never materialised. Consider the following 2 scenarios:
1- As in the OP, the player who was tackled carries on, regains possession and control of the ball and his body takes a touch or two and passes to a teammate which is intercepted by the opposition. That IMO is precursor for a failed advantage, the player's lack of ability to make a correct pass when fully in control of the body, his motion and the ball is not your fault. Therefore my call would be to play on, interception is good and the attacking player is the one who wasted the advantage.

2- Again the fouled player regains control of the ball but is not really in control of his body or motion his bad pass is a result of the foul that caused him to be lacking control over their motion and therefore the pass and its intended recipient.

I would say that also applies to a pass to a player in an offside position, if the player was in full control and the foul didn't cause lack of control then yes offside call would be correct.

Good points. I suppose giving yourself that extra second or two before giving the advantage shout allows you to sell both allowing play to continue or pulling it back for the foul. It's a tricky situation the advantage rule, easy to upset people!

Have to say though, having the attacking team score when you play advantage is probably one of the best feelings as a referee. Almost feels like an award for a job well done!

There's some sound advice given above mate, but to be honest, at U12 and U14 grass roots level, it's probably generally easier to always bring it back (unless more than say, 4 or 5 seconds has elapsed since you shouted the "Advantage". At that age, it's my own experience that players and coaches alike tend to be more accepting of the concept of "fairness" where things like this are concerned. If you must play advantage anywhere but in the attacking third of the field then always be sure to verbally communicate your decision and the reason for bringing it back for the free kick in such a way that all can see your match control. ie whistle blast followed by "Okay, back we come for the free kick guys - no advantaged accrued there!!" ;):)

Back