A&H

Advantage then Quick Free Kick

Mr Dean

RefChat Addict
Player A commits a yellow card offence but the referee plays advantage.

Then, a teammate of Player A commits a foul. The referee awards a free kick.

The free kick is taken quickly to create a goalscoring opportunity.

Should the referee have delayed the free kick to caution Player A?

Can the referee now caution Player A (when the ball next goes out of play)?

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Was the foul player A committed stopping a promising attack? If so, no caution is necessary at all under new laws.

If it was for a reckless tackle I think the ref is ok to let the free kick be taken if 'the disciplinary procedure hasn't started' and caution at the next stoppage.

If it was for a reckless tackle I think the ref is ok to let the free kick be taken if 'the disciplinary procedure hasn't started' and caution at the next stoppage.
What he is saying 'at the next stopage' he allowed a good QFK.

Player A commits a yellow card offence but the referee plays advantage.

Then, a teammate of Player A commits a foul. The referee awards a free kick.

The free kick is taken quickly to create a goalscoring opportunity.

Should the referee have delayed the free kick to caution Player A?

Can the referee now caution Player A (when the ball next goes out of play)?

Q1. By the letter of the law, yes. But this would be a good opportunity to look at the spirit of the law and expectations, meaning allow the QFK. Not allowing it would punish the offended team.

Q2. Similarly by the letter of the law, no. And again I would look at the spirit of the law and also at severity of the yellow card offence. In most cases I would go back for the booking.

Fantastic question I might add :)

Last edited:
What he is saying 'at the next stopage' he allowed a good QFK.

Q1. By the letter of the law, yes. But this would be a good opportunity to look at the spirit of it and expectation meaning allow the QFK. Not allowing it would punish the offended team.

Q2. Similarly by the letter of the law, no. And again I would look at the spirit of the law and also at severity of the yellow card offence. In most cases I would go back for the booking.

Ah yes indeed!

The overall principal of the idea of allowing QFK's is "What is the greatest advantage to the offended-against team". And a goal is always going to be a bigger advantage than a yellow card - so if you have to give up that yellow card in order to allow a high % GSO, the general principal is that you should do it.

Back