A&H

Advantage rule.

Egg man

Level 5 Referee
Hi. New ref here so going to make some mistakes.

I awarded a penalty today the attacker number 9 got goal side of the defender from a long ball. The defender had hold of the number 9 and also made challenge from behind impeding the number 9 causing him to stumble but he stay on his feet the keeper was quickly out and made a save from the off balance number 9. This all happened very quickly and in my opinion number 9 was denied an OGSO and I awarded the penalty kick.

I'm happy with my decision but here's the question players from the defending team felt the attacker had a shot and there had the advantage and no penalty should of been awarded.

Any advice from some senior referees ?

Thank you

The Referee Store
Hi. New ref here so going to make some mistakes.

I awarded a penalty today the attacker number 9 got goal side of the defender from a long ball. The defender had hold of the number 9 and also made challenge from behind impeding the number 9 causing him to stumble but he stay on his feet the keeper was quickly out and made a save from the off balance number 9. This all happened very quickly and in my opinion number 9 was denied an OGSO and I awarded the penalty kick.

I'm happy with my decision but here's the question players from the defending team felt the attacker had a shot and there had the advantage and no penalty should of been awarded.

Any advice from some senior referees ?

Thank you
Sounds like a penalty and a sending off...

As above, sounds like a penalty and a red card.
I gave the Pen and caution the player. I understand the player could have been sent off the keeper was quickly off his line closing down the opportunity which is why I felt it was caution not sending off this time around.

First its great you can analysis your incident.
As above, it sounds like a pk and red card.
That aside, there is a learning point too, esp when we are fresh and new. Keep things simple, dont take risks.
Striker fouled in box, by anything other than a gen attempt to play the ball, simply give the pk and red card

if the guys thro central and is held, tripped, impeded, in a way which is not a genuine attempt to make a legal tackle, with just the gk to beat, thats the very definition of dogso

I gave the Pen and caution the player. I understand the player could have been sent off the keeper was quickly off his line closing down the opportunity which is why I felt it was caution not sending off this time around.
A pull/push is not an attempt to play the ball, so DOGSO can't be downgraded to Stopping a Promising Attack

With regards to your question, when things happen in very quick succession (like described), it's not usually strictly true that the attacker got two bites of the cherry. That's because the first opportunity is normally badly compromised. So it wouldn't be fair on the fouled attacker to only get half a chance because they were fouled. They are difficult incidents to referee however

A pull/push is not an attempt to play the ball, so DOGSO can't be downgraded to Stopping a Promising Attack

With regards to your question, when things happen in very quick succession (like described), it's not usually strictly true that the attacker got two bites of the cherry. That's because the first opportunity is normally badly compromised. So it wouldn't be fair on the fouled attacker to only get half a chance because they were fouled. They are difficult incidents to referee however
Yes I agree very difficult. The attacker chance was impeded therefore denying him chance to get a clean shot away. Which why I award the penalty. Maybe should of sent the player off as well.

As has already been said, only a foul resulting from a genuine attempt to play the ball (in the penalty area) can be downgraded from a red for DOGSO to a yellow for SPA.

Holding/pushing/pulling offences cannot be genuine attempts to play the ball.

Dont sweat it, in my first game I didn’t send a player off for a handball on the line, I awarded the penalty but for someone reason that I still can’t explain my cards stayed in my pocket.

It's a you have to be there incident. You probably did everything right. But... did you have enough time to blow before the off-balance attempt with keeper closing the angle? If so then the better decision is to blow and give the pen. In situations like this, unless it's a very obvious and very clear goal scoring opportunity (eg ball rolling over the line or a shot at unguarded goal), the best decision is to award the penalty.

I maybe needed to be quicker with the whistle. Lesson learned for next time players didn't argue to much about the decision and the defender in question didn't not look surprised. Some players felt the forward got to bites at the cherry, Shot then a penalty.

I maybe needed to be quicker with the whistle. Lesson learned for next time players didn't argue to much about the decision and the defender in question didn't not look surprised. Some players felt the forward got to bites at the cherry, Shot then a penalty.
Meh. Some players will hate every PK we ever call. Advantage =/= getting a shot. Advantage means it is better for the victim‘s team if play is allowed to continue than if the foul is called. No way from what you described was this close to being advantage.

These are always a bit of damned if you do, Damned if you don’t on timing. if we blow quickl, the ball seems to end up I. The net right after we blow, but if we are slow, we get this complaint from the defense. You were absolutely right to give the PK based on your interpretation of what happened.

Reactions: one
You can guarantee without any doubt whatsoever, that if you had blown your whistle, the attacker would've shot and scored

Played a 'double' advantage yesterday.

Player tripped, but keeps his footing, ball carries forward, defender throws his arm up, clear handball, but somehow attacker has STILL got it, enters PA, gets a good shot away GK, saves, attacker gets to the rebound, challenged by defender - corner.

Just as I'm congratulating myself, Mr Coach yells across "What about the pen for the push" - YHTBT, but it really wasn't. No one else appealed :rolleyes:

Back