A&H

Advanced Fly Kicks

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
One of my pet hates with keepers is them running sometimes yards out of their area to perform a quick fly kick. It was quite obvious that they were still holding the ball as they ran forward to start a quick attack. The worst ones finished 3-4 yards outside the area when they completed the action. I used to hang back on the edge of the box if I suspected they were doing it to get the perfect viewing angle. I’d ofton warn a captain too that his keeper needs to release before the line but they weren’t the sharpest pencils! Have you ever called a keeper for this? I’ve watched professionals do it but they are coached well and they release on or before the line...

The Referee Store
If they are getting close I would try and give them a warning and if they do it after that give it every time.

I’ve got bigger things to worry about like offside from a goal kick :D

What?? Read it again mate, nothing to do with offside at all MiB!! :asshat:

Exactly what I’m saying I wish I had the luxury of pinging a keeper for knicking a yard outside his box when kicking a ball from his hands, unfortunately with my recent track record with the lotg I don’t have that luxury.

With experience you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Yes, you're out of position for the fly kick landing, but its worth it to keep the keeper from extending his area the odd time!

Yeah I've pinged players for this....usually they've completely forgotten where the line is!
Of course, if they release it on the line, they can be a yard or two our before it hits their foot - and that's fine.

Odd rant though - surely it doesn't happen enough to get your goat up?

Yeah I've pinged players for this....usually they've completely forgotten where the line is!
Of course, if they release it on the line, they can be a yard or two our before it hits their foot - and that's fine.

Odd rant though - surely it doesn't happen enough to get your goat up?
He gets easily offended by anyone that fails to observe the laws of the game......you'll have heard about his card count no doubt.......and don't talk to him about goalkeeper offences....he'll get apoplectic!

He gets easily offended by anyone that fails to observe the laws of the game......you'll have heard about his card count no doubt.......and don't talk to him about goalkeeper offences....he'll get apoplectic!
Yeh, especially the chubby gobby ones! The ones that are walking cards! :redcard:

Even if they don't commit an offence, give them a loud, public warning - a "watch the edge of your area keeper". Even if you haven't got the foggiest how close you were to seeing them, it'll make it look like you're on top of it and they'll be more wary.

Was there ever a time where you could challenge the goalkeeper while he was making a fly kick? Seems odd that the goalkeeper can be considered in possession of the ball outside his own penalty area.

Was there ever a time where you could challenge the goalkeeper while he was making a fly kick? Seems odd that the goalkeeper can be considered in possession of the ball outside his own penalty area.
The laws have quite a few of those anomalies. To name a couple; the ball could be still in the thrower's hands when it is in play in a throw in. After a goal kick, the ball can leave the penalty area and not be in play.
A few of those have been fixed in the recent rewrites.

I was 4th official to Andy Halliday not longer after that happened and he was suspended for it. His pre-match said if you think the keeper might have handled out of the box on a fly kick don't be a **** like me and keep your flag down ... :)

Can I just ask what importance the penalty arc has in a football match, handball in the arc?

Keeper handles ball in the arc?

Foul in the arc?

I’m reading lotg right now as I have my exam in half hour, but can’t find it anywhere.

10 yards from pen spot. Not allowed inside arc until penalty has been taken

Thanks you’ve jogged my memory, it’s purely to measure 10yrds from the spot. So any law break in the arc in open play is a free kick like the field of play not a pen.

Also the pires Henry pen, is that allowed? Nothing about rolling ball forward in the lotg or from what I could gather anyway.

Thanks you’ve jogged my memory, it’s purely to measure 10yrds from the spot. So any law break in the arc in open play is a free kick like the field of play not a pen.

Also the pires Henry pen, is that allowed? Nothing about rolling ball forward in the lotg or from what I could gather anyway.
The arc serves no other purpose. It lies outside the penalty area and so treat it the same as the rest of the FOP. Not sure about the Pires pen. As long as it's played forward and the taker doesn't touch it again before another player, i'd say it's ok. If i'm wrong, someone will post otherwise

When's ur test?

Back