A&H

Additional Assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
What are your thoughts on additional assistants? I assume that if GLT is introduced in Europe then AAs will be removed, but are they very useful at the moment?

Can you see them being introduced in England in games without GLT, possibly even in big amateur games such as cup finals (the same games where fourth officials are appointed).

The Referee Store
The AARs are not used solely for goal line decisions. Depending on the referee, they may well referee everything that happens in a triangle from the goal post to the penalty mark and advise the referee over comms. I cannot see them being introduced into the amateur game any time soon, even for games involving 4th officials.

The AARs are not used solely for goal line decisions. Depending on the referee, they may well referee everything that happens in a triangle from the goal post to the penalty mark and advise the referee over comms. I cannot see them being introduced into the amateur game any time soon, even for games involving 4th officials.
So you reckon they'll stay in Europe even when GLT is introduced?

Every referee or AR that I have asked (who has worked with them) said that they are a very big help even though they don't look to do much.

They appear to do very little but I'm sure some major decisions have been given by them over the mikes.

Last edited:
it would be very hard to have them at grassroots, even at cup finals because the only communication they have is comms which isn't available to us

it would be very hard to have them at grassroots, even at cup finals because the only communication they have is comms which isn't available to us
They do also have sticks with which they can signal (penalty, goal kick/corner etc.) but I agree, their role and contribution would be very limited without microphones.

But how would they signal with their sticks?

I mean how would I let you know its a goal kick for example? I can press my button, but then what?

Yeah the sticks are buzzers, there aren't currently any official signals sanctioned by FIFA, so without any of them being released I can't see any of them being used in any other competions any time soon :(

I know I have seen AARs signal for a penalty by simply pointing to the penalty spot with their stick, and I guess they could come up with signals such as pointing to the goal and corner flag respectively.

One thing I've never understood about AARs is why they stand on the same side as the AR. As a trio surely they would be able to see more if they were on opposite sides of the goal? That way it would form a triangle, similar to that used for mass confrontation.

Reactions: KB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back