A&H

Added Time

The Referee Store
Interesting- if fairly lengthy- read about added time at the World Cup.

It seems (I’m not surprised) that not enough time is being added on, but I am surprised that we spend, on average, 8 minutes waiting for the ball to be thrown in.

If you can spare the time, have a look:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/world-cup-stoppage-time-is-wildly-inaccurate/
Is there any other game in which the duration of the game is so badly defined and determined?
My main watch on the left wrist keeps real-time, but i use a second watch on the right wrist to accrue additional time
The second watch helps me transition from normal play to dealing with a stoppage situation. If I forget to stop or start the watch, I see it as a sign that I was distracted, stressed or had lost situational awareness. Using this method, i usually arrive at 3 to 5 minutes added on, but then i'm not working with the megastar cheats

It isn’t a requirement to add on everysingle stoppage.

And to do so would be ridiculous, obviously there are some occasions where you’re going to have a significant amount of time added on, I had a Ladies game where due to a large number of injuries the game went on for about 105-110 minutes.

A way to reduce this in the professional game is to have enough match balls so that each ball boy has a few so as soon as the ball goes out a new one goes in.

And for referees to take a stern stance with time wasters.

Is there any other game in which the duration of the game is so badly defined and determined?
My main watch on the left wrist keeps real-time, but i use a second watch on the right wrist to accrue additional time
The second watch helps me transition from normal play to dealing with a stoppage situation. If I forget to stop or start the watch, I see it as a sign that I was distracted, stressed or had lost situational awareness. Using this method, i usually arrive at 3 to 5 minutes added on, but then i'm not working with the megastar cheats
I do exactly the same, and would agree that I also usually end up with somewhere between 2 and 7 minutes difference between the watches. But then, we have to deal with balls going over hedges etc that isn't really a problem at the world cup!

The re starts after a goal has been scored at this World Cup have been lengthy to say the least, it seems to take forever & is never added to the initial added time.

It isn’t a requirement to add on everysingle stoppage.

And to do so would be ridiculous, obviously there are some occasions where you’re going to have a significant amount of time added on, I had a Ladies game where due to a large number of injuries the game went on for about 105-110 minutes.

A way to reduce this in the professional game is to have enough match balls so that each ball boy has a few so as soon as the ball goes out a new one goes in.

And for referees to take a stern stance with time wasters.
Loosely, normal ball out of play stuff is not counted. As Graham indicated however, if the fire brigade are needed to rescue balls from tree tops, we ought to add it on...

Loosely, normal ball out of play stuff is not counted. As Graham indicated however, if the fire brigade are needed to rescue balls from tree tops, we ought to add it on...

Of course, but my leagues require the home team to provide two match balls, so if one get lost in the bushes we’ll continue with the spare ball while someone goes and retrieves the other one.

Of course, but my leagues require the home team to provide two match balls, so if one get lost in the bushes we’ll continue with the spare ball while someone goes and retrieves the other one.
So does mine. That doesn't stop two balls going over the hedge in quick succession, one ball going flat and becoming unusable, or no sub bothering to go and get the first when it does disappear though.

I do exactly the same, and would agree that I also usually end up with somewhere between 2 and 7 minutes difference between the watches. But then, we have to deal with balls going over hedges etc that isn't really a problem at the world cup!
Balls over hedges, all game time for me..........

But only if the fire engine is on the pitch....

Never stopped a watch once during a match, I’d add what I thought depending on what was presented, slow time wasting, add on lots, in a pretty fair game I’d add a couple on just for a bit more fun. Also, if it’s 8-0 then what’s the point, blow up, put them out of their misery!

why is there such a big fuss about pro players leaving the field really slowly, when being substituted in the dying minutes of a game ? Surely, the ref would add the time on anyway, wouldn't you ? It is me ?

I'm with SF on that one. Although if I am feeling cruel when they ask how long is left at 8 nil down I will say not long, pause and then add plus what I add on. Only done to teams who have annoyed me.

why is there such a big fuss about pro players leaving the field really slowly, when being substituted in the dying minutes of a game ? Surely, the ref would add the time on anyway, wouldn't you ? It is me ?
Because at that level, even though referees add time, they don't time it. The standard added time for substitution is 30 seconds per sub.

In two recent games I have had a losing player ask me not to add any time. Both times I added time.

But, respect. It’s important to know the match context. These games were both higher level (ARs, 45 mins). At lower level (no ARs, rolling subs, 30/35/40 mins) we are instructed to only add time in extremis (blatant timewasting, serious injury).

Even in games where a team is 8-0 up, they might be looking for goal dif for promotion.

For me the most important thing is transparency. As a player I hated not knowing how long. As an AR it drived me nuts when refs don’t communicate time. So, as a ref, I make sure (just like the telly) that everyone knows the min added time. Should be mandatory IMHO;)

Of course I have no issue with adding time and disclosing that time
Every game withour fail though, from 72 73 mins in, folk will start to ask how long, so much so when you hear the shout, "ref"' you can just shout out "12' without even looking.
The ones that get confusing are the players who say you have stopped too early, as none of them even know the actual time, far less the game time.
I had one last week where I stopped for ht bang on 46 and the home coach, perfectly mannered, asked why I stopped on 44 ish. I showed him my stopwatch but even then he was not convinced. i even joked that of all the super powers I had, speeding up time was not one of them.

Because at that level, even though referees add time, they don't time it. The standard added time for substitution is 30 seconds per sub.
Is that actually true? I always assumed that was just something lazy pundits said, extrapolated from guidelines that said each sub should take around 30s - and that in reality, top ref's manage stoppage time the same as anyone else?

This World Cup has been a bit of a farce in this way to be honest.

Owing to Collina's mad instruction to referees to show leniency with the yellows (which we've seen in action from Day 1) we now have at least 2-3 minutes of play being held up whilst players protest and argue with the referee (and each other), request VAR intervention, refuse to retire the obligatory 10 yards, and jostle with each other each time a free kick or penalty is awarded. Practically every corner kick sees the AR preventing the player from taking it whilst the ref spends 30 seconds to a minute blowing his whistle sharply and remonstrating with the players in the penalty area, warning them to leave each other alone - pointing towards his eyes and then toward them. :rolleyes:
Collina may have been a fine referee himself, but he needs to get his head out of his arse over this one.
It's become a complete circus. It's not surprising at all that time is lost.

Yorkshire’s Finest, The A (Arthritic) Team stripped and ready for action if FIFA require us! We can fight them on the beaches, in the bars, we will never surrender!

I always assumed that was just something lazy pundits said
And that is how lazy refs workout stoppage time too :)

Latest example, second half extra time COL V ENG had two subs. 1st one was 1.05 min time between ball out of play and restart. Second one was 1.20 min. No other notable delays. 1 minute was added in total (two subs of 30 seconds). The other unwritten rule, added time must end on a whole (rounded) minute which I find unnecessary. If you have to add 2 min and 25 seconds then that is what you have to add, maybe +/- a few seconds but why round it to 2 or 3 minutes.

Back