A&H

Junior/Youth Adapting to junior football

DJN123

Hi,
I've been appointed a U15's game and this will be my first junior football game in the middle.
I'm not really sure how to deal with fouls etc. I've been an AR plenty of times for adult football and it tends to get rougher as the level increases - refs tend to let things go a little (tugging & pulling).
How would I alter my decision making in junior football, do I become more strict and less lenient when it comes to contact?

The Referee Store
I ref both Open Age and Youth. Same game, same rules. The younger the age group, the more lenient i'd be on technicalities. Foul throws and so on. My card count is roughly equivalent, which is a bit surprising

If it's highest level 13 to 17 year olds then I'm more strict on the technical stuff but allow more contact - that's what the coaches want - and the players train 5 times a week. They know what they are doing. They are competitive. With the highest levels then there is also more ceremony. The teams have travelled, coaches are aspiring or semi pro, maybe junior teams of big teams - so they expect all pomp and ceremony;) Quite rightly!

Under the top level though then the opposite: as in the post above, some allowances for e.g. inability to do a correct throw, close eyes on players trying to tackle beyond their ability and getting frustrated. In my experience the 2nd/3rd tier of 15-16 year old boys has the flash points, a few naughties, a few players less interested in the game!

Personally I am strict with high arms in all youth games - boys and girls. Some teams come out flailing, or have been taught to do lots of push-offs. I had a few head injuries in games a few years ago, so I really watch for that and try to be proactive.

I personally find U15's quite an interesting age group to ref, because the quality of football is contextually decent compared to younger junior teas (no surprise there) but are definitely no strangers to throwing the occasional strop now and again. I personally take the motto that if they want to act like the 'big man' treat them like a 'big man.' Teenagers tend to listen to you more, so I would definitely utilise communication in terms of dissent and verbals. Be firm and make it clear that the next time you won't hesitate to get your cards out. Usually the embarrassment of getting a telling off is enough for them to curb their attitude.

In terms of LOTG, make decisions based on the tone/spirit of the game. Its a hobby for these kids, especially if its not a high level, and its important to make decisions based on common sense, rather than strictly by the book, but I suppose this applies to all games. However, they are at an age where they should have an adequate knowledge of the game, so a solid enforcement of the rules, especially with fouls is important. Your biggest struggle may be the parents; especially at that age. Try to ignore them, its half the battle!

Offsides can be a nightmare too if you're caught out! Shouldn't be a problem if you are in the right position, but its easy done not predicting that long ball. Be confident, teenagers feed off uncertainty :D

One of my biggest card counts was in an under 15 game, surprising as there was only one lemon late on in the first half. If memory serves me right it ended up with three cherries and seven lemons.......

I’ve got my first youth game next week, U18’s.

Apparently you sin bin them for descent but any other offence is a yellow as normal, also I need to fill in a match card which is fairly detailed not sure if i do that before or after the game.

So yeah not sure what to think about this one tbh, one thing that has crossed my mind is how quick they might be & can I keep up with play, also if there is parents present I assume there might be some there how I deal with them on the sidelines.

A major reason I’ve avoided kids footy is because of the parents it’s just another aspect I could do without which for obvious reasons you don’t get in adult footy, so hopefully I don’t have to many verbal altercations from the sidelines.

One other thing: respect.
Don't presume you will have mouthy coaches or parents, or crazy kids. Avoid condescension.
The part I am trying to do much better this week is the pre-match - I tend to be too relaxed and presume a little too much. Orderly, poker face is better I think - with serious teams.

So in the case of a sin bin, would you yellow card as well or is it just the sin bin?

Apparently it’s a yellow & you point to the sin bin area, they spend 10mins there, it then gets a little tricky if the same player offends again & also regarding substituting that player if he offends again etc.

The home team manager has advised that they haven’t had a sin bin this season which is pretty impressive, ill be trying my hardest not to bin anyone, I’ve refereed 10 games and booked one player for back chat, it’s something that doesn’t really cause me an issue (only 10 games in) Long May it continue.

On the sin bin, just check first if the league is actually trialling it. Not all the leagues are this season.

On the sin bin, just check first if the league is actually trialling it. Not all the leagues are this season.

They are right accross the Surrey primary youth league upto u18’s.

I’ve got a briefing on it, it only gets complicated if the player offends again, hopefully it doesn’t happen.

U15's is easy - you enforce the LotG. What can be challenging is the attitude of the manager/coaches/parents, and how that then rubs off on the players. From my experience 75% of teams appreciate the application of the laws, including cards - I've had managers come up to me after matches before and thank me for cautioning/dismissing one of their players "as they never seem to listen to me". The other 25%, run by "failed footballers" that are reliving the dreams of their youth, will challenge every decision from the sideline, get abusive with the coaches of the other team. Stepped approach is your friend here.

Last edited:
Hi,
I've been appointed a U15's game and this will be my first junior football game in the middle.
I'm not really sure how to deal with fouls etc. I've been an AR plenty of times for adult football and it tends to get rougher as the level increases - refs tend to let things go a little (tugging & pulling).
How would I alter my decision making in junior football, do I become more strict and less lenient when it comes to contact?
How did it go?

I had an U15 game today and they were very dirty. Loads of afters, attempted off-the-ball trips, naughty at corners. It was really hard. Standard was OK. It was my first real game of the season. There were 5 or 6 players that had a red cloud over them the whole game - they seemed programmed. I tried to get very close to the action so I could always see stray kicks and watch for anything malicious. I had passive ARs which perhaps didn't help. In the end 5 YCs and a double yellow red card. 2-2 finish with the 10-man team nearly winning. I feel like it went OK. I detected the two attempted "dives", gave an obvious early penalty. I tried to not whistle everything and "let them play" so there were a couple of pretty careless winning tackles I maybe wish I'd called in midfield. I did always say something if there was any doubt: OK for me, carry on, that's tiny keep going etc. I didn't rollock anyone. I used the cards, couple of warnings, quite a few calm downs. Perhaps what made it easier than it could have been was that both teams played (and fouled) in a similar way. It would have been harder if one side had played "clean". I hope I got the pedantic stuff right - one retake DFK for a moving ball that was an immediate goalscoring opportunity. I'd be interested in the club feedback.

How did it go?

I had an U15 game today and they were very dirty. Loads of afters, attempted off-the-ball trips, naughty at corners. It was really hard. Standard was OK. It was my first real game of the season. There were 5 or 6 players that had a red cloud over them the whole game - they seemed programmed. I tried to get very close to the action so I could always see stray kicks and watch for anything malicious. I had passive ARs which perhaps didn't help. In the end 5 YCs and a double yellow red card. 2-2 finish with the 10-man team nearly winning. I feel like it went OK. I detected the two attempted "dives", gave an obvious early penalty. I tried to not whistle everything and "let them play" so there were a couple of pretty careless winning tackles I maybe wish I'd called in midfield. I did always say something if there was any doubt: OK for me, carry on, that's tiny keep going etc. I didn't rollock anyone. I used the cards, couple of warnings, quite a few calm downs. Perhaps what made it easier than it could have been was that both teams played (and fouled) in a similar way. It would have been harder if one side had played "clean". I hope I got the pedantic stuff right - one retake DFK for a moving ball that was an immediate goalscoring opportunity. I'd be interested in the club feedback.

I'm so glad to hear the analysis of your game as I'm not the only one who found it tough haha.
I'm normally an AR for adult football so this was my first ever game in the middle.

Start of the match was awful, no corner flags, dog faeces on the pitch and a deflated ball - the home manager tells me that it's not a "Champions League match" and to get going on with it.
The Home team were very careless - tugging and pulling their opponent at every chance they could get and the other team were clean.
I let some go as both players were doing it and called it when it affected player and when it wasn't in spirit. Every time I called a foul the manager was screaming for me to "let them play" and he thought I was being quite petty.

3 minutes in, the goalie came flying in. He did get the ball but he took the player out and it was careless - I didn't call it but looking back, I think it was a pen.
I had parents/coaches screaming that the AR was biased... I tried the best I could to watch for offsides but it's ever so difficult.
I was told that my decision making wasn't consistent as similar incidents were happening down at the other end that I didn't call.
And the worst thing is to tell players/coaches how long there is to play, they were on my back when the match didn't end when I said it would.

In hindsight, I wish a got my cards out which would have controlled the players and the tackles a bit more because telling them to calm down only helped for a while - I only gave one card for dissent. Also, I kept on missing the minuscule kicks. Every time I tried to get closer I found myself in the middle of the play -_-.
Really not sure how to deal with a dirty team though, I would have been blowing every 2 minutes and it doesn't help the parents are screaming on the sides which will fuel the kids even more to complain to the ref.

Last edited:
U15's is easy - you enforce the LotG. What can be challenging is the attitude of the manager/coaches/parents, and how that then rubs off on the players. From my experience 75% of teams appreciate the application of the laws, including cards - I've had managers come up to me after matches before and thank me for cautioning/dismissing one of their players "as they never seem to listen to me". The other 25%, run by "failed footballers" that are reliving the dreams of their youth, will challenge every decision from the sideline, get abusive with the coaches of the other team. Stepped approach is your friend here.

Wish I read your reply before my game, I get regret not using my cards!!

DJN123 Rome wasn’t built in a day, everything you’ve mentioned is why I avoided youth football & went straight into refereeing adult football.
It’s hard enough concentrating on the game & the 22 players without abuse and distractions from the sidelines all game, anyway you will have learned a lot from your game & the more games you do the more you’ll tailor & tweek things to make your life easier. I can only speak from a personal point of view but my confidence grew with every game & the difference you will feel within from your first game to say your sixth will surprise you, it’s because you adapt you’ve seen it heard it all before & you start responding with some confidence.

I have an U18’s game midweek and I’m slightly apprehensive tbh I’m not sure if there’ll be many parents there but it certainly will be a new challenge if I get the aggro you got, i personally will be dealing with it the same I would any other game on the pitch, a foul is a foul a booking is a booking, if I get aggro from the sidelines I’ll let it go over my head if it goes to far I’ll stop the game and make a point of addressing the antagoniser, I’ll warn them that anymore & they’ll be leaving the sidelines & if they don’t I’ll be abandoning the game & it’ll be down to them as to the reason why, I won’t stand for it I can assure you, maybe easier said than done if there is multiple parents giving it but I’ll see how it goes, Hopefully it doesn’t come to that but that’s exactly why I avoided kids footy for the fear of that kind of thing.

Anyway good luck to you, get back out there as soon as you can & remember you & the way you deal with issues on & off the pitch will only get better, everygame is a learning curve ask Michael Oliver that ;)

P.s sounds like the game was played in a delightful area, I think I would have taken a bullet proof vest with me to ref there :)

I've done 22 youth games this year. No cautions for dissent. Should have been a school teacher :stop:

Card counts in junior games are always less than OA, things are generally mistimed and not cynical.
Chirp is there but it’s not usually laden with Industrial language on top. It’s a great grounding for the adult game.

Card counts in junior games are always less than OA, things are generally mistimed and not cynical.
Chirp is there but it’s not usually laden with Industrial language on top. It’s a great grounding for the adult game.
This is what i'd expect, yet my count is roughly the same for both formats (low in comparison to everyone here). I'm sure this pattern won't persist however

Back