A&H

Junior/Youth A game of 2 CAR's

Justylove

RefChat Addict
U16 game last evening, Reds (1st) vs Yellows (4th). Both sides have their respective senior 1st teams playing at Supply league level and have a good youth to senior team pathway.

Usual briefing for the CAR's in front of captains "ball in and out please, fouls and misconduct mine at all times and offsides only when they are actively challenging for the ball"

First half, Yellows play the ball forward and the Reds go mad shouting that I've missed an offside, I glance over again at the Red CAR who doesn't have his flag up so I shout play on. At half time he apologises as he put his flag up as there was a player offside, realised the player who received the ball was not the one offside and got his flag down as quickly as possible. He told me that he'd make sure he waited in the second half as he saw a took some stick from the players because of his error. Second half myself and the Red CAR cross on a throw in, quick as a flash he drops his flag and backs me up.

Yellow CAR, nothing contentious in the first half. Second half the game is getting physical, yellows have fought back from 3-0 to 3-3, game is a really good contest, both sides being physical and mostly within the confines of the law. 5 minutes from the end of the game, Reds striker and Yellows defender tussling for the ball, Reds striker wins it, spins and runs in on goal, slotting it past the keeper. No complaints from the Yellows defender or the GK who retrieves the ball, until the yellow CAR bellows across the pitch "You missed a clear shirt pull there" cue about 5 or 6 Yellow players now protesting that I need to disallow the goal. 2 minutes later, Reds are attacking again, players tussling in the corner near the CAR, I've got a great position and see it go out of play for a corner, which I signal. About a second after I've signalled the corner, the Yellow CAR puts his flag up and signals for a GK, loudly telling me he's much closer than I am. I overrule him and continue with the corner. Final gem from him, Reds still 4-3 up in the dying stages of the game, and over commit players forward. Ball goes to Yellow GK, who tries to punt the ball upfield quickly. Red striker steps across him to block the ball. Blow the whistle call the Red striker over, who casually enquires "just a yellow, yeah?" With a grin on his face. I can hear the Yellow CAR talking loudly to himself saying "can't believe he's booking for that, he doesn't know what he's doing"

Both managers pretty happy after the game, Yellow manager thought the winning goal "might" have been a foul, Reds manager wasn't sure either.

Just reminded me that having a good CAR makes your life so much easier and the game more enjoyable, having a bad one is worse than having a completely apathetic one, or none at all!

The Referee Store
Ball goes to Yellow GK, who tries to punt the ball upfield quickly. Red striker steps across him to block the ball. Blow the whistle call the Red striker over, who casually enquires "just a yellow, yeah?" With a grin on his face. I can hear the Yellow CAR talking loudly to himself saying "can't believe he's booking for that, he doesn't know what he's doing"

This is an interesting point though. Many referees assume that a booking is mandatory here, but in fact it is just a simple IFK offence.

With this offence if I can see it about to happen a quick shout to let the player know I am watching is usually enough to prevent the offence. If they carry on then a yellow. It is so frustrating whnen a CAR starts waving his flag for fouls and misconduct. A quiet word during the game is needed to remind them to stick to the breif.

But why a yellow? That is like cautioning for every foul. A simple IFK is all the Laws require. Unless it becomes persistent...

In the context of the game, based on the time of the offence, the score and the fact that he stepped straight across the keeper who was trying to release very quickly, I saw it as a clear cut case of USB.

No time to shout for him to move away as the keeper wasn't hanging on to the ball he was trying to get it upfield as quick as possible so they could try to equalise.

I agree @Justylove ... USB / breaking up an attack - the fact the player knew what he was doing as cheekily confirmed just a yellow too

Back