A&H

A few questions on different equipment.

Dino Ref

Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a few new pieces and just looking for general advice.

#1 - Roller. I've never had one before but everyone I've spoken to claims that they're very good so I've decided to try it out. After looking on amazon I'm thinking This one as it seems cheap and from what I've heard that doesn't really matter.

#2 - 2nd watch. I've never used a 2nd watch but as I begin to progress I think it's time to get one. I'm planning on just getting a £10 from argos.

#3 - Whistle(s). Right now I have a very basic whistle with a huge strap however it's causing me some problems as it's so long. After looking around Fox 40 seems like what I want however I was also thinking of buying some a lanyard or does anyone have experience with finger holders? I think I'd prefer a lanyard but I'm interested in what others think.

The Referee Store
#2 - depends what you want to use it for really. I have a cheap Casio on one wrist to show the proper time and one of those Leap ref watches on the other to count down the 45.

#3 yep a Fox 40 does me well as has an ACME tornado. I use a wrist lanyard but have heard good things of the finger holders

No need to spend loads. :)

Wrist lanyard vs finger clips is 100% personal preference. (I don’t recommend it to starting refs, but many experienced refs move to holding the whistle, often two clipped together—I thought that was silly till I tried it, and haven’t used the lanyard since.)

I agree that a fox40 or fox40 mini are the best place to start for inexpensive quality whistles.

1) Agree with Minty, if you aren't used to a roller one of those ridged ones might be very uncomfortable until your muscles get used to it, probably better with a smooth one.

2) If it tells the time and has a stop watch it is good enough, no need to spend a fortune.

3) I've always used a finger grip whistle and would never switch away, had a spell using a lanyard and couldn't get used to it. Fox 40 CMG Finger grip is my weapon of choice.

2) I'd never see why you need anything more than a £10 casio for a second watch. If you're going to do anything fancy it'll be with a smart or sports watch on one wrist, the other one is only needed as a backup in case your main one fails or runs out of power.

3) My approach is a wrist lanyard with 2 whistles on it. One goes in the palm of my hand for a better grip, the other sits in my fingers. They're slightly different tones, so I can choose which is which based on conflicting whistles from adjacent fields - or if I want to, I know that the orange one can go VERY loud if needed!

Back