A&H

6/10

Jamie McCabe

Got marked 6/10 from one team today. Didn’t see mark from other team. No controversy at all through the game - easy to manage.

Does anyone ever challenge the marks given by a manager and ask for feedback of why they have given poor/ average marks?

The Referee Store
No point really. Most managers have absolutely no clue abotu the LOTG so take anything they say with an extremely large pinch of salt.

Where are you based, as the marks in England should be out of 100 not 10. Also from this season the marks have to be made up of three different marks, can't remember the exact titles but it is something like decision making, control of the game and positioning and fitness.

I wouldn’t worry about, a game I done yesterday at a guess I think the losing manager probably gave me a 1/10

A few 50/50 decisions probably went against him and I gave a penalty against him (100% penalty) but he will still feel as though I’ve cost him (they lost 5-0)

Where are you based, as the marks in England should be out of 100 not 10. Also from this season the marks have to be made up of three different marks, can't remember the exact titles but it is something like decision making, control of the game and positioning and fitness.

@RustyRef - Some league haven't yet changed their rules to reflect the new marking guide, so still do the single mark from 100. Junior football don't have to use the 100 marking scale.

The three categories are:
  • Overall Decision making
  • Judgment of major decisions
  • Overall control.

Pot luck so don't look at individual marks.

"Ref had a great game last week gave him a 70 out of 100".

Then you'll get some youth managers who will give 99 instead of 100 if they think the referee was poor.

My OA league does not mandate an accompanying written explanation for low marks

In my 2 and a bit years of refereeing I haven't look at the club marks once. Being marked out of 100 by people who haven't completed a LOTG exam and standing in a completely biased position is a terrible idea

The mark might mean something if it was aggregated individual marks for stuff like organisation / communication / fitness / LOTG (decisions) / game control etc etc
Maybe the new format is based on this

These marks are complete hogwash merely based on the games result.... I've seen refs have stinkers and they always get top marks from the winning team.... You would hardly win and think the refs a t0sser would you!! Should you lose you are an easy target.... Move on!

Last edited:
@RustyRef - Some league haven't yet changed their rules to reflect the new marking guide, so still do the single mark from 100. Junior football don't have to use the 100 marking scale.

The three categories are:
  • Overall Decision making
  • Judgment of major decisions
  • Overall control.

Cheers Lincs, although if they use Full Time my understanding is that now only accepts the three section mark.

These marks are complete hogwash merely based on the games result.... I've seen refs have stinkers and they always get top marks from the winning team.... You would hardly win and think the refs a t0sser would you!! Should you lose you are an easy target.... Move on!

With respect your only role has been as a referee. If you ask most people who have had varied roles, the majority of people doing club marks do so fairly. Of course there are some that give a rubbish mark because they lost to a last minute penalty, but these average themselves out at the end of the season. From my times as a RefsSec I knew who the best referees were from the marks because they consistently got good marks and over multiple seasons, so the outlying whinges from clubs were effectively cast aside.

The same applies at level 4, the first level where club marks are looked at alongside observations from senior observers. It is very, very rare for a referee to be A for observers and E for clubs, or even D, or vice versa. It is far more usually A/B, B/A, etc, and the club marks align closely to the observations. The year I went up from 4-3 I averaged almost a red card a game and still finished top on clubs, so it is a myth that referees that do their jobs properly always get clobbered by clubs.

In any case, as I've asked you several times before, what is the alternative (bearing in mind there aren't enough observers to go around promotion candidates let alone every referee)? There simply aren't any, so club marks are here to stay I'm afraid whether people like them or not.

With respect your only role has been as a referee. If you ask most people who have had varied roles, the majority of people doing club marks do so fairly. Of course there are some that give a rubbish mark because they lost to a last minute penalty, but these average themselves out at the end of the season. From my times as a RefsSec I knew who the best referees were from the marks because they consistently got good marks and over multiple seasons, so the outlying whinges from clubs were effectively cast aside.

The same applies at level 4, the first level where club marks are looked at alongside observations from senior observers. It is very, very rare for a referee to be A for observers and E for clubs, or even D, or vice versa. It is far more usually A/B, B/A, etc, and the club marks align closely to the observations. The year I went up from 4-3 I averaged almost a red card a game and still finished top on clubs, so it is a myth that referees that do their jobs properly always get clobbered by clubs.

In any case, as I've asked you several times before, what is the alternative (bearing in mind there aren't enough observers to go around promotion candidates let alone every referee)? There simply aren't any, so club marks are here to stay I'm afraid whether people like them or not.
I can see both arguments. The marking system clearly has it's limitations and needs improvement (I can only speak for grass roots here), but I also know that I'm getting good appointments because my marks are good
In my limited experience, my marks improved when i got tougher on discipline because games became less likely to go tits up

Mine up in northeast are out of 10 not 100

What a pointless exercise, referees should only be entitled to mark referees. How many managers have ever done a referees beginner course and actually know the laws of the game properly? I’ll take a wild guess and say it is less than 10 per cent. Would be funny if the tables were turned and a manager could be marked by a referee for their teams warm-up or team talk!

Maybe I'd revise the marking criteria to;
organisation / communication / fitness / positioning / game control
Anything which doesn't include decision making or Law
Like Club Marks or not, they are used widely by RefSecs and the FA (as Rusty indicated). On that basis, the marking criteria should be improved

What a pointless exercise, referees should only be entitled to mark referees. How many managers have ever done a referees beginner course and actually know the laws of the game properly? I’ll take a wild guess and say it is less than 10 per cent. Would be funny if the tables were turned and a manager could be marked by a referee for their teams warm-up or team talk!
And how many times in your career have you had a referee on the side line with enough spare time on their hands to come and watch you ref? Everyone agrees that it would make more sense for qualified referees to do the marking - but unless you can pull 20,000 qualified referees who are happy to give up an afternoon out of thin air, it's not going to happen.

Yes, ignore everything, especially dissent and you get consistently good marks from the teams, if the assessor turns up you’ll get crucified and fail miserably with the same match control! Thieir is oodles of money in the professional game, its about how its chose to be spent!!!

Last edited:
Yes, ignore everything, especially dissent and you get consistently good marks from the teams, if the assessor turns up you’ll get crucified and fail miserably with the same match control! Thieir is oodles of money in the professional game, its about how its chose to be spent!!!
I'm with you to an extent. The notion of club marks is almost as bad as using CARs. It would be folly to referee with club marks in mind, but my scores haven't suffered for being aggressive on discipline. I know that my OA RefSec monitors them, so i know by my appointments how I'm fairing.
I therefore think the scoring criteria needs improvement (to not include LOTG) as the scores are significant to us whether we like the idea or not

Possible solution to at least get a more accurate score, you give you score on the performance the following week or at least after a cooling off period.

Back