A&H

50-50 ref! (Tottenham - Cardiff RC)

The Referee Store
That was so early the birds hadn't even got up! What went through his mind the ball was nowhere near the player. Deffo Red and a separate fine for sheer stupidity.

I heard one commentator on the radio, I think it might have been Mickey Gray, saying if you give a red card for that you will have to give 4 or 5 a game. There wasn't a ball with in 5 yards of the player. Cynical and cowardly deffo a red and deffo VC. But Ian Abrahams said the sooner that goes from the game the better. You would think the ex player would be more against that type of challenge, although Micky Gray has taken a very odd refereeing course if you listen to him regulary.

I heard one commentator on the radio, I think it might have been Mickey Gray, saying if you give a red card for that you will have to give 4 or 5 a game. There wasn't a ball with in 5 yards of the player. Cynical and cowardly deffo a red and deffo VC. But Ian Abrahams said the sooner that goes from the game the better. You would think the ex player would be more against that type of challenge, although Micky Gray has taken a very odd refereeing course if you listen to him regulary.
I went to Micky Gray's last professional game...... SWFC V Palace........ Got relegated...... say no more!!!

One of those where any force becomes excessive force as there was zero attempt to play the ball. You can't kick or trip an opponent miles off the ball and expect to stay on the pitch.

Ironically I suspect those pundits saying it was harsh would have an entirely different tune had Moura been injured as a result of the challenge.

Red card justified. There was another incident yesterday, when Pogba went down the back of Yedlin's Achilles. It wasn't in the same league as the foul in the OP, but I don't think the Law adequately deals with intentional fouls when the ball is in a different county

Red card justified. There was another incident yesterday, when Pogba went down the back of Yedlin's Achilles. It wasn't in the same league as the foul in the OP, but I don't think the Law adequately deals with intentional fouls when the ball is in a different county
That's a very good point. If IFAB expects "tackles" like this to be punished with red, I feel like it would be very straightforward to make it clearer that that's the case.

I'm torn.
Players commit sliding tackles with zero chance of getting the ball and "take one for the team".
This guys being punished more cos his was really obvious??
Does that make it any more dangerous to his opponent?
I've no sympathy for the dirty b*****d but someone else will wipe a player out next week with something similar but the ball is eprhaps 2 yards away instead of 10 and will get cautioned

I'm torn.
Players commit sliding tackles with zero chance of getting the ball and "take one for the team".
I've no sympathy for the dirty b*****d but someone else will wipe a player out next week with something similar but the ball is eprhaps 2 yards away instead of 10 and will get cautioned
It never makes sense to defend one bad practice with another. Frequently players are absolved of actions (professional fouls) because the ball is in play. The same act with the ball out of play would be met with a red card

I'm torn.
With the tackles you're talking about, there's at least a pretence of going for the ball.

Here, there isn't that. So that's important.

Considering Colin was once a qualified referee I found his words desperate and laughable!

I suspect he wasn't, he just trots that line out. He did a LOTG module as part of his coaching badges, as all coaches have to, but that doesn't make you a qualified referee. Even if he was once qualified, it would have been so long ago, presumably 30 years plus, so unless he has re-registered as a referee his qualification would have lapsed at least 25 years ago. How much have laws changed between then and now?

The consensus here seems to be that if a defender has no chance of making contact with the ball a deliberate foul which brings the attacking player down is a red card.

I can't really see how this is different from a 'normal' professional foul other than the fact that the ball is absolutely miles out of reach rather than just a bit out of reach. Surely that factor alone isn't the difference between a caution and a dismissal?

If the laws say we can dismiss a player for a deliberate and obvious trip - which this certainly is - then I'm all for it, but I don't think they do.

The consensus here seems to be that if a defender has no chance of making contact with the ball a deliberate foul which brings the attacking player down is a red card.
Not the case. It could sometimes be a yellow.

The tackle in the OP however would have been a yellow card if it was a challenge for the ball. The same amount of force when not challenging for the ball is considered excessive .
Or if you like you can look at it a different way. It is a double whammy which makes it a red, reckless and tactical but as far as the law is concerned it's excessive.

Back