A&H

5-4 observation marking criteria

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
Does anyone have the 5-4 marking criteria for the UK?

I’ve had my latest observation back and am satisfied with the score (72) but wanted to see what I’d have to do to pick up some extra points in future.

Things like teamwork and positioning, observers said I was absolutely spot on and had no suggestions for improvement yet scored me 4. What is needed for a 5?!

Same with managing set piece restarts, I’ve NEVER known anyone get anything but a 3 in this section 😂 how on earth do you get a 4/5?!

The Referee Store
It won't let me upload the file so have emailed it to you mate.
Happy to help as always.

I’ve had my latest observation back and am satisfied with the score (72) but wanted to see what I’d have to do to pick up some extra points in future.

Things like teamwork and positioning, observers said I was absolutely spot on and had no suggestions for improvement yet scored me 4. What is needed for a 5?!

Same with managing set piece restarts, I’ve NEVER known anyone get anything but a 3 in this section 😂 how on earth do you get a 4/5?!
Sometimes the game needs to be challenging to get up the scales.
If its not challenging and you do as expected its tough to up the marks.

Fitness and positioning - are you getting in the box when appropriate. Sometimes you just need to have something happen and you positioning be the reason you get it right, or sell it.

Example in my 1st 5-4 promotion I got an 81 (this is going back 5-6 years so dont panic.) but from a corner I took up my position on the goal line and as a result of that position was able to call a very very close goal decision. Anywhere else on park and I am guessing. But I needed that to happen to get the recognition for it.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm not at all unhappy with my mark, so long as it's above 70 is what counts at this stage.

I'm more looking ahead to try and be the best L4 I can be in the future. Thought it'd managed all restarts well (paid particular attention to this as it's something within my control) and got the same mark I've always got for it!

I'm not at all unhappy with my mark, so long as it's above 70 is what counts at this stage.

I'm more looking ahead to try and be the best L4 I can be in the future. Thought it'd managed all restarts well (paid particular attention to this as it's something within my control) and got the same mark I've always got for it!

Maybe stop the game and have a word with the attackers around the keeper at a corner (there's always a bit of pushing somewhere you can use).

I'm 5-to-4 too
Positioning/Movement/Fitness is where I've improved the most. Make sure you run hard to always be square-on to the play
Make sure you penetrate the box (Disambiguation: Penalty Area). They love that (Disambiguation: Observers love that!). For example, when a goal is scored, if you loop into the PA from the left hand-side and cruise past the Goal Area before arcing back out towards half-way, they'll be drooling on the side-line. Idea being, that you're there for contentious goal-line decisions and also there to prevent the, 'it's my ball, give it to me you C&*^!' squabbles from becoming all-out war

Back