Ref4Me

5-4 first report

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
2 Observations here so far - both without neutrals on nothing games so I'm really hoping I can get my next few with neutrals to help my development.

I'm more worried about lines currently. Only 1 so far this season. Changed supply leagues to give me a better chance.
Did you manage to scrape a 70 on such games? Difficult if nothing happens

The Referee Store

MattTheRef

Level 5 Referee
Did you manage to scrape a 70 on such games? Difficult if nothing happens
71 & 73. So I'm averaging a 72 which I'm fine with.
Made sure I applied stepped approaches, spoke to change of linos etc just to up the score where I could. Was actively aware during the game that (because of how well I managed it obviously) there was little to report on.

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Note to self... 'what's all this fuss about?'

Just a bit of a bummer with getting the auld CV19 and all that. Had a nice little game lined up on Sunday, for which my 'people skills' were needed :punch:

Likely I got virus at QPR v Luton on Friday night
I can't even blame @PinnerPaul cos I was in the Luton end, so got the least that I deserved

I take my appointments with a pinch of salt. Such is the shortage of R's etc., there's a lot of movers and shakers, so probably end up with six middles
We can't all afford the time to swan around mastering our flag technique in front of the mirror like 'Panel Select' @Russell Jones 'Big Potatoes'
Get well soon!

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
2 Observations here so far - both without neutrals on nothing games so I'm really hoping I can get my next few with neutrals to help my development.

I'm more worried about lines currently. Only 1 so far this season. Changed supply leagues to give me a better chance.
5-4 I had only one of my 5 observations with neutrals and that was my last one which was a Step 6 middle.

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
71 & 73. So I'm averaging a 72 which I'm fine with.
Made sure I applied stepped approaches, spoke to change of linos etc just to up the score where I could. Was actively aware during the game that (because of how well I managed it obviously) there was little to report on.
It's not necessarily needed to have a mad crazy game certainly at 5-4 to get a good mark. But what you need to do is do the basics REALLY WELL to stand out on those areas.

My highest mark at 5-4 was a 75 and I got that in a game that finished 9-0, with the losing keeper getting MOTM!

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
It's not necessarily needed to have a mad crazy game certainly at 5-4 to get a good mark. But what you need to do is do the basics REALLY WELL to stand out on those areas.
Exactly that, and this is why it is vital to know the competencies off by heart. In a one sided game I will always try to make sure the referee isn't penalised as chances are I won't be able to big them up in areas like match control and law application. But I can praise them for their fitness and positioning, game management, etc, but only if they have demonstrated that they know those requirements.