A&H

4th man cup final

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Hi all I'm going to be 4th man next Sunday in a cup final can someone give me there best tips for being 4th man.

The Referee Store
Have a browse through this forum, plenty of threads asking the same thing, plenty of advice already. In short, you manage the dugouts, and pay attention to the game in case you have to take over. I

i've got 2 4th official cup finals in the next couple of weeks, but they'e not calling me 4th offical, i am the "reserve" referee?!?!?

Never particularly enjoyed the ones I have done.

Most "senior" match involved an electronic numbers board which belonged to local FA, whose reps were obsessed with its well being!

Although it was a "senior" U18 final, subs were bit of nightmare "Number 6 coming off ref... 14 coming on, no wait make that 7 coming off, next stoppage....no wait leave it a bit....no lets have 6 off after all"

Not a problem without the board but trying to key in correct numbers under not great floodlights, not a lot of fun!

One manager started getting irate after about 10 mins moaning to me and finishing with "........... assistant, 4th referee or whatever we're supposed to call you" I replied "Paul is fine thanks"

Didn't shut him up completely but made me feel better!

Had one last week Craig to summerise .....! Stand on the halfway line with your arms folded having banter with the subs :)

Hi all I'm going to be 4th man next Sunday in a cup final can someone give me there best tips for being 4th man.

Bring sweets;), look after the referee's water bottle, make note of cautions/goals, etc.

And most importantly, take a second coin out - so when it goes to penalties and the referee's lost his, you can be the star....(the number of times I have seen the Reserve official needs to supply it is amazing):p

Take a second everything out. Each match official should bring a full set of whistles, cards, pens/markers, coin, etc.

4th official can have a big impact upon controlling the benches. Even if not, 4th official should be actively watching the game to see who is doing what and who has been warned for what in case he needs to take over. He should also be constantly scanning the field - there's always a good chance that 3 officials are ball watching. There shouldn't be a fourth. There's no reason why anything should happen behind the referee's back without somebody spotting it.

I'm 4th official tonight.
Out of interest, if I see misconduct, how do I alert the ref? Shouting "Ref, ref!!!" at the top of my voice does not sound right!!

Grab a Lino and make him do it... Shouting and flagging are your only option k think (ps shout steve or whoever it is not ref)

Went OK last night, the assessor picked up on one thing...
I should roll the spare ball in when the match-ball disappears at a rate of knots in the direction of Carshalton, not kick it in like I did, especially as my effort to kick it was so pathetic and went at 45 degrees from where it was meant to!!

Went OK last night, the assessor picked up on one thing...
I should roll the spare ball in when the match-ball disappears at a rate of knots in the direction of Carshalton, not kick it in like I did, especially as my effort to kick it was so pathetic and went at 45 degrees from where it was meant to!!

Could have been worse! It could have gone 180 degrees from where it was meant to! :p

Could have been worse! It could have gone 180 degrees from where it was meant to! :p
Or you could do what a 4th man did up my end... Connect with the ball perfectly, only for it to skim the away managers head... He was not a happy bunny

I'm 4th official tonight.
Out of interest, if I see misconduct, how do I alert the ref? Shouting "Ref, ref!!!" at the top of my voice does not sound right!!

Stand at halfway - the referee, if doing his job properly, should see you there. Also, get your near AR's attention, he can flag and the other AR should draw it to his attention.
Personally, I have no problem with shouting to get the referee's attention if he's missing everything. It's one of those things that assessors seem to hate without actually thinking why.

Back