A&H

4G corner flag base

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
These very heavy corner flag bases are the go-to solution for 4G pitches locally
From someone who ridicules the lame requirement to check studs, these things are clearly a cause for concern. In the two games i've encountered them in, i've refused to use them and played without flags. Serious injury is not difficult to imagine and a player could even get impaled

Attachments

• 20181027_141051.jpg
    20181027_141051.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
The Referee Store
Apparently, I'm the only ref to have ever kicked up a fuss. I even went looking for management after my last game to express dismay

These very heavy corner flag bases are the go-to solution for 4G pitches locally
From someone who ridicules the lame requirement to check studs, these things are clearly a cause for concern. In the two games i've encountered them in, i've refused to use them and played without flags. Serious injury is not difficult to imagine and a player could even get impaled
What I dont get is why it is so difficult to put holes in, with caps for saftey when not in use, when laying. Problem solved. Surely cant be that difficult.

We read about manslaughter and gross negligence cases all the time. This is a design which is an accident waiting to happen. They're very heavy units and it really isn't a stretch of the imagination to think of a bad outcome. I'll raise the issue with my CFA, because the management of the establishment i was at weren't interested in my protestations

We read about manslaughter and gross negligence cases all the time. This is a design which is an accident waiting to happen. They're very heavy units and it really isn't a stretch of the imagination to think of a bad outcome. I'll raise the issue with my CFA, because the management of the establishment i was at weren't interested in my protestations
Along with concrete pitch surrounding.

Are you suggesting the teams expected you to use the bases without any flags? In that case, I'm totally with you. But if there are flags in those bases (as is always the case when I see them), then what's the problem?

Are you suggesting the teams expected you to use the bases without any flags? In that case, I'm totally with you. But if there are flags in those bases (as is always the case when I see them), then what's the problem?
With the large base, there is a fair chance the corner kick taker can step on them and slip.
Where I am all 3g and 4g surfaces have a place holder (tube) for flags built into the ground so there is no issues like this.

I don't see these as a 'slip hazard' as such, because the flat part is not directed away from the pitch and would not be stood on when taking corners. They bases are meant to have a corner flag inserted. However, a flimsy flag would snap easily so this is irrelevant. What is relevant, is the narrow steel cylinder sticking a foot in the air on the boundary line saying, 'fall on me and you're in big trouble'

With the large base, there is a fair chance the corner kick taker can step on them and slip.
Where I am all 3g and 4g surfaces have a place holder (tube) for flags built into the ground so there is no issues like this.

Most of the modern ones have them covers. Certainly those done by the major companies that lay these pitches. Alot of the earlier ones were multi purpose (for funding purposes) so they had no covers, as you'd need them everywhere for tennis, hockey etc. Most of the new pitches are purpose built football ones and have those covers, certainly the ones that I've seen.

I don't see these as a 'slip hazard' as such, because the flat part is not directed away from the pitch and would not be stood on when taking corners. They bases are meant to have a corner flag inserted. However, a flimsy flag would snap easily so this is irrelevant. What is relevant, is the narrow steel cylinder sticking a foot in the air on the boundary line saying, 'fall on me and you're in big trouble'
Surely if a flag snapped (which I've never seen btw), you's still end up with a potentially sharp bit of plastic pointing upwards, even on a grass pitch?

Surely if a flag snapped (which I've never seen btw), you's still end up with a potentially sharp bit of plastic pointing upwards, even on a grass pitch?
Corner Flags don't snap when inserted a few inches into the ground (which will be firm at best). Corner flags could snap when inserted ~10 inches into a solid steel cylinder
I'm taken aback that this needs any explanation. Maybe it's not obvious from the photograph just how heavy these things are. I'm not sensitive to health & safety, I don't check studs because it's a dated and completely pointless task, but these bases are nothing short of a risk to life and I've therefore contacted the FA regarding their use

Back