A&H

‘I did it on purpose’

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Incident today where Green 9 was shielding the ball out of play and his flailing arm caught yellow in the face. I awarded the free kick to yellow and called over green for a chat, and at the time I deemed it careless so I just told him to be careful.

i then had a chat with the yellow captain who was annoyed about the decision, and then I heard green 9 say to his team mate ‘I did it on purpose, he deserved it’ which a few yellow players heard him say and started complaining to me. In my mind, I wanted to red card him for violent conduct but at the same time, I had no proof that he was specifically talking about that incident, although it was the only one he’d really been involved in. I opted for a yellow and went down the route of adopting an aggressive attitude but even that I’m caught in 2 minds about. Any thoughts? There was probably around 30 seconds between my chat and the one with his team mate.

The Referee Store
Incident today where Green 9 was shielding the ball out of play and his flailing arm caught yellow in the face. I awarded the free kick to yellow and called over green for a chat, and at the time I deemed it careless so I just told him to be careful.

i then had a chat with the yellow captain who was annoyed about the decision, and then I heard green 9 say to his team mate ‘I did it on purpose, he deserved it’ which a few yellow players heard him say and started complaining to me. In my mind, I wanted to red card him for violent conduct but at the same time, I had no proof that he was specifically talking about that incident, although it was the only one he’d really been involved in. I opted for a yellow and went down the route of adopting an aggressive attitude but even that I’m caught in 2 minds about. Any thoughts? There was probably around 30 seconds between my chat and the one with his team mate.

Kinda need stick with your yellow, even if he did catch him, was it violent?
work on the basis had it been violent, you would prob have went red in the first place
You are certainly risking losing the rest of the game if you change your decision on hearsay
of course you are now watching him like a hawk, not just him, but for retaliation too
a word in passing too maybe? " you got the benefit of the doubt there, you pass wind and you are gone"

you can only give what you see

Two insights I can offer. The tollorence is much higher for a send off when challenging (shielding) for the ball.
You 'overheard' him saying he did it on purpose in opposed to him telling you directly. The analogy can be a player claiming he meant a shot to score when he actually meant to cross it. Not saying he is lying, just that he can be saying it to make himself look good in front of his team mates and didn't expect you to hear it.

I think yellow was the right decision.

Lower down the scale, same happened to me once. Gave a foul and as they are preparing to take the free kick, attacker says to his teammate , "Never a foul, didn't touch me"

What do you do?

I continued with the fk - gave what I saw (as we all do)

Lower down the scale, same happened to me once. Gave a foul and as they are preparing to take the free kick, attacker says to his teammate , "Never a foul, didn't touch me"

What do you do?

def continuing with the fk there
it might be a foul, might not, migtht be striker just saying that to eind defender up, or put extra pressure on you

What do you do?

Definitely continue with the FK... How many posts exist on this forum alone demonstrating players know their own mythical version of the LOTG.

On previous posts, I'd be continuing with what you gave, let Billy big b*llocks have his 10 seconds showing off to his team mates. Probably a quick word in passing so he knows he won't "get away" with another.

Not identical but last Sunday I had similar comments from a player who I had already sin binned for dissent.

I awarded a penalty to his team and overheard him saying to the other team that I’d evened it up as it was never a peno - it definitely was and the only purpose of his comments was to wind the other team up and cause them to be angry at me, possibly his own way of manipulating them and ‘getting back’ at me for sin binning him!

Back