A&H

Zambia vs Japan - YC for GK PK retained even after VAR called earlier offside

• Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

In the ZAM JAP game the ZAM keeper was YC for skittling the JAP striker and a PK was awarded (presumably for DOGSO. VAR then correctly identified an offside offence in the build up and the PK was cancelled and play brought back for an IDFK. The YC however stood, which became significant as she did the same skittling near the end and got a second YC and was sent off before the PK.
In the Protocol Para 9, it specifically says DOGSO should be reversed if play is pulled back as a result of a review.
Was the ref in error, or was the YC for the GK not DOGSO but for (say) a reckless challenge?
I'm genuinely unsure (not that many of us are likely to have VAR!) Did anyone else see the match and pass comment?

The Referee Store
OK...thanks... not sure I'd have given a YC for reckless given the nature of the skittling but that clears up why it wasn't rescinded

OK...thanks... not sure I'd have given a YC for reckless given the nature of the skittling but that clears up why it wasn't rescinded

Interested why you don't have reckless? The keeper has landed on the attackers foot with significant speed and forced them to jump to avoid injury risk.

Only in regard to not awarding the penalty. There was nothing said about the yellow card.
Which is why these announcements are so pointless. This was a perfect time to say something like, “the yellow card will still apply because the goalkeeper’s challenge was deemed reckless”. Everyone can see that the penalty isn’t awarded.

FIFA can’t get out of its own way at times.

Which is why these announcements are so pointless. This was a perfect time to say something like, “the yellow card will still apply because the goalkeeper’s challenge was deemed reckless”. Everyone can see that the penalty isn’t awarded.

FIFA can’t get out of its own way at times.
FIFA provides answers for questions that haven't been asked, then trips over its own feet when people want clarifications for the original question that no one had ever thought to ask.

Back