A&H

Junior/Youth Youth Games & Cards

BGreenbank

All,

Had a youth U13s game today. Was all fine throughout the first half. Gave two pens, both clear cut and no complaining from either teams. One at each end.

Second half, one of the players gets tackled just outside area and goes down (despite no contact and the other player clearly getting the ball). I wave play on.

When on the floor, the player references the fact that I wear glasses by saying something along the lines of "I know you're blind, but you can't have missed that".

Instead of stopping the game there, I let play go on until it was next out of play. Stopped and called him over. I warned him that if I heard anything along those lines again then he would be off.

What I have been wondering afterwards is:
  • Was I correct to wait until a stoppage to stop play and call him over?
  • Should I have sent him off there for offinabus?
  • What is the age where the cards come out of the pocket as they would in an open age game?
Thanks for your help and comments.

The Referee Store
For me that was very well managed - as a fellow glasses wearing Ref I appreciate that you didn't let it go.

1) definitely right to wait until the stoppage in my view - was a visible warning that set a good tone.
2) think you will get some that would say offinabus but I think you would risk chaos sending someone off for that without any warning
3) I do mostly open age but anyway if it's 11v11 I treat them all the same

I strongly believe that dissent and Offinabus you get the cards out early and for any age. Other fouls/infractions (even DOGSO) I give them a bit of leniency as their skills aren't as advanced
You did the right thing by waiting, certainly a yellow.

That's dissent for me, not OFFINABUS. Treat these like advantage - only allow play to continue if it would hurt the opposing team by stopping play. otherwise, stop play immediately.

U/13 is well old enough to know you don't mouth off at a referee, teacher etc. No choice but to card for that one - you're doing the players and the game a disservice by saying 'oh, they're just kids'. Cards aren't just about match control.

anybody have a look through the thread Brian linked.

That's dissent for me, not OFFINABUS. Treat these like advantage - only allow play to continue if it would hurt the opposing team by stopping play. otherwise, stop play immediately.

U/13 is well old enough to know you don't mouth off at a referee, teacher etc. No choice but to card for that one - you're doing the players and the game a disservice by saying 'oh, they're just kids'. Cards aren't just about match control.

anybody have a look through the thread Brian linked.
Linked it because we've just had a At what age should I use cards thread

Considering you didn't issue a card I think stopping the game would have been wrong unless you pulled a card out. As long as you know the proper restart then don't be afraid to stop play to issue a card for dissent or OFFINABUS.

Back