A&H

Youth 11-a-side (U13 to U16)

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Anyone got any average distances they run in 11-a-side youth matches, just be very interested to hear out of pure curiosity?

The Referee Store
These are mine from the last weekend:

U13 - 9.8km
U14 - 7.64km
U16 - 8.29km
U18 - 7.99km

Just note that the U13 was Manchester United vs Sunderland, so incredibly quick/fit players.

The U16 followed the U14, so i was slightly more tired, but can cover up to 9K in some.

Will generally vary on teams and pitch sizes. hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Here were my three centers from the weekend.

Friday-U15 girls, 70 min (4.42 mi / 7.07km, so a 9.1 km pace per 90)

Saturday-Men’s college (U23), 5.83 mi / 9.33 km

Sunday-U19 boys center 70 min (tournament) - 4.39 mi / 7.03 km, a 9 km pace per 90)

I also ran four lines over the three days. Not terrible for a mid 40s guy working games three straight days, but I definitely took yesterday off to recover!

These are mine from the last weekend:

U13 - 9.8km
U14 - 7.64km
U16 - 8.43km
U18 - 7.99km

Just note that the U13 was Manchester United vs Sunderland, so incredibly quick/fit players.

The U16 followed the U14, so i was slightly more tired, but can cover up to 9K in some.

Will generally vary on teams and pitch sizes. hope that helps :)
Out of interest, what GPS device are you using? Those distances sound high, even taking into account one was a pro youth game.

Out of interest, what GPS device are you using? Those distances sound high, even taking into account one was a pro youth game.
Apple watch, those are the numbers I’ve pulled from Refsix.

I know apple fitness comes in slightly lower, but generally both sit around that mark I believe.

I use RefSix, but on a Garmin Fenix 7. The RefSix numbers are usually 0.1 to 0.2 miles higher than what shows up on my Garmin mobile app.

I generally look for trends in my numbers. If I’m off just a little, I don’t worry since a Garmin’s GPS is more for straight line running. If I start seeing my numbers go a lot lower than normal, then I’ll start to see if I’m feeling tired or injured.

I think I used to rate my Positioning & Movement solely by how far I'd run. With experience, I take much less interest in this metric now
I had an ex EFL AR describe my P&M as very good recently.... because every time he looked at me, I wasn't legging it
Incidentally, that's what I really like about Andre M, he's like a ghost the way he floats about

I think I used to rate my Positioning & Movement solely by how far I'd run. With experience, I take much less interest in this metric now
I had an ex EFL AR describe my P&M as very good recently.... because every time he looked at me, I wasn't legging it
Incidentally, that's what I really like about Andre M, he's like a ghost the way he floats about
Guessing he had the initials GM?

Watching Bjorn Kuipers at the Euros was a masterclass in positioning and movement. He never seemed to do more than a moderate jog, yet he always seemed to be in a great position to make a call.

Watching Bjorn Kuipers at the Euros was a masterclass in positioning and movement. He never seemed to do more than a moderate jog, yet he always seemed to be in a great position to make a call.

Yes, we all know and accept superior fitness is lauded. The common mistake is to prioritise this over actual reading of the game and management.

Pointless buzzing around coming off a kids game delighted with 10km yet your actual officiating was average, In fact, it can be said if you are running too much in a game its due to your poor positions and angles, and minimal reading of the game,

Just picking up on this as was interested if my distance covered was similar to others but reading the last couple of posts makes me feel bit better that I record 65% average walking is more because my positioning is spot on, and it's not me suggesting I'm very good.
I do get a few complaints, like everyone, but generally get told a lot of decisions are good.

Only 2% of my latest game spent running. Didnt really need to. Other than a couple of long balls, I was always around the area of play.

35min halves 5.5-7.5 km on my watch and I not shy about running. 8,5-9,5 almost religiously for 45mins.

So, very similar to @RefIADad and I am also 40 ahem 49 next week.

By the way I cracked 8.47 secs in the CODA the other day!

Back