A&H

You're In The Wrong... But I Dont Know How...

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Morning All,

Had an interesting one the other day.

Blue vs Green. Green DFK edge of the box.

Blue defender on the line, green attacker standing behind the wall (Soldado style) but standing no more than a foot in front of the keeper.

Keeps checking over his shoulder for the keeper.

When the ball is about to be struck, the keeper takes a quick side step (to look around the attacker) and the attacker (very) quickly follows suit.

Keeper doesn’t have a chance of seeing the ball (even late – because he’s THAT close to him) and the ball flies into the net past the defender on the line.

Now, I know its an offence, I cant give offside for interfering with player/preventing the keeper from playing the ball, because of the guy on the line…

So I gave a blue IDFK for obstruction.

I kind of had to wing it – and just zoned out and could not think for the LOTG for love nor money.

Yes there were complaints and after I explained myself, they died down pretty quickly… Which always reassures me.

Was I right? Was there a better law I could have applied?

Note: I blew the whistle for the infringement before the ball was in the net, which the CAR clarified when the managers chimed up.

I was watching him, and when he moved with the keeper (when the ball was struck) I blew mid-flight.

I think that went in my favour, because I wasnt technically disallowing a goal - as play had (technically) stopped by the time the ball was in the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
Ooooo sounds like a legitimate goal to me. While it is some gamesmanship from the attacker, the problem is the defender on the line playing the Attacker onside. If he moves up, you can ping the attacker for offside - interfering with an opponent, otherwise there is not a lot you can do if he is not physically restricting the keepers movement.

Ahem, also worth noting there is also no such offence as obstruction... :)

Last edited:
Firstly, there is no longer an offence of obstruction - it is now "impeding the progress".

The main law is on P122 -
Impeding the progress of an opponent
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.
All players have a right to their position on the fi eld of play, being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

In addition on P121
Offences committed against goalkeepers
• It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him, e.g. at the taking of a corner kick.

So...if you felt that the attacker was preventing the keeper from moving to where he wanted to be then that would be an IDFK. If he was just stopping the keeper from seeing then it's a bit of a greyer area and I think would probably be covered by USB if it were an offence at all. You wouldn't for example allow a player to put his hands inches from a goalkeepers eyes to stop him seeing the ball and that would be dealt with by USB, however you wouldn't penalise an outfield player for trying to cut off a pass by standing in front of an opponent. Not exactly the same thing I know but the best I can offer. I'm sure there will be others along with alternative views.

Of course the defending team could have stopped this by taking their player off the line...

(edit: didn't see SMs reply when I posted this so apologies for repeating some of the same things...)

On a similar theme, this always makes me laugh (although I think I would have told him to stop before a fight broke out...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven Taylor is an idiot :) funny though

He had the sense to get the hell out of the way before the kick though.

The main law is on P122 -
Impeding the progress of an opponent
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block

Yep, im happy. Its going down as that.

It wasnt a block, because he didnt impede movement, but he obstructed him (visually).

...And breathe a sigh of relief.

PS Greens went on to win the game on penalties - so all was good and justified.

It doesn't fit for me as impeding. Obstructing him visually is not impeding. If that was right any wall at a freekick is "obstructing the kicker visually" and should be an IDFK?

But the wall is the keepers same team - and he is the one that organises it (so he can see the ball etc).

An attacker on your toes stopping you from seeing the ball - its no different to the above analogy of holding your hands over the keepers eyes... but not making contact.

Id except the keeper/defenders/attackers to move around/jostle when the kick is about to be taken etc, which at one point may impede his view, but to professional obstruct the keepers view.

He's not playing the ball, he's only intent is to block the keeper. Maybe not the keepers movement, but definatley block the keepers view - which prevents him from playing the ball... because he doesnt know where the sodding thing is!

You misunderstand me - Not the keeper, the attackers taking the kick :) the wall is obstructing the kickers view!! Wasn't being 100% serious. :)

Let's think of a corner then. Everyone who stands near the goal keeper, regardless of whether they touch him or stop his movement is obstructing his view? That is their job.

You say the attacker is a foot away or so away and facing away from the keeper - Impeding just doesn't work for me.

The comparison you give of having your hands in the keeprs face is very different and you could easily ping someone with an added USB without complaint if that happened.

The keeper could have dealt with this very easily - get your player off the post and create an offside line - it is a silly place to put a player and invites this kind of issue.

Another question; if there is a man on the post, why is there no player marking a lone attacker standing smack in front of goal?

Last edited:
I think i would have a hard job selling this one to be honest. No infringement for me.

If i was the keeper i'd be telling my defender to get the hell of my line for a start. Once he'd gone, then perhaps the offside could come back in to play.
22 years as a goalkeeper not once did i ever have a defender on the line for a free-kick.

But if you got away with it fair play, obviously a better salesman than me :)

As a goalkeeper, I'd be in shock if a referee gave my team and IDFK for this. Seems like a complete non-decision for me.

I'd be moving the guy off the post and making damn sure the official(s) knew this guy was in an offside position and clearly in my line of vision and I'd be expecting an offside decision!

Had this in my game last Sunday. Attacker standing directly in front of the 'keeper as he's lining up the wall. I'm expecting him to move before the kick is taken but he stays there, keeper makes a good save and turns it behind anyway. I blow for the offside as the ball is coming through and the attacker is bewildered as to what he's done wrong. Gotta love sunday league.

Back