A&H

Yellow Cards for Christmas?

RefJef

RefChat Addict
Do players stack up 5 yellow cards so they get Christmas off?

Howard Webb has suggested that it might be so.

You might enjoy this podcast* where it is examined analytically, and the numbers crunched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04lpkgp

*The podcast is about 10 mins long - first 6 (ish) minutes are on this topic

The Referee Store
I have a vague recollection of a recent radio programme where an ex pro hinted that this did happen. Can't remember who it was and it seems unlikely.

Blatantly obvious that this happens at "convenient" times and not just Christmas.

Ramos and Alonso picked up deliberate yellow cards in the Champions League so they could miss the last game of the group stage with Real already qualified. UEFA took a dim view of it and handed them another game on top! :D

Chelsea's Costa has been one card from a ban for many weeks. His "attempt" to tackle a Palace player from the wrong side had all the hallmarks of a "I know I will get a yellow for this". A few years ago, John Terry was on 4 yellows, late in the game he went to take a throw near the opposition's corner flag. Picked up the ball, put in behind his head and feigned to throw it several times and even looked towards the referee waiting for the card. When it eventually arrived, he dropped the ball behind him for someone else to take the throw and laughed as he ran off. If that wasn't deliberate, I don't know what is!

Back