A&H

WSL- Everton vs Arsenal; Red Card

R

Runner-Ref

Thoughts on the red card given for the challenge around 2:10 mark?

Ref initially goes yellow and then upgrades it to red. Not sure I'm convinced this is quite worthy of a red, especially upgrading the original decision

I'd put it down as giving the decision based on injury/outcome rather than the challenge itself

The Referee Store
On the parks I usually referee on, I think most teams would expect a yellow, but there's a reason the officials here are officiating in the WSL and I'm not!

I suppose the decisive factor would have been how straight the leg was, and the position of the studs. Theres not a great angle for either of those factors that we can see here.

Red for me. I based it on replay from this angle and not just the freeze frame. There is plenty force (excessive) above ankle, passes the speed test as well.

Generally I don't change decisions based on outcome but if the outcome shows me what I thought I saw was not the case then I can change. For example in this case if I thought contact was below ankle and I go yellow, and then I see a gash above ankle, I can change to red.

Screenshot_20230518-184027__01.jpg

I'm not sure I'm seeing "height" as an aggravating factor in this - that contact point is maaaaaaybe 2 inches off the ground. Unless we're expecting players to slide their feet along the floor when challenging, I don't know if you can get much lower. And the player herself is low down, meaning force is being exerted sideways, rather than down through the ankle and against the ground, so there's no "stamp" element to it. The way the ankle is caught and bent is an unfortunate coincidence, not an inevitable result of a bad tackle IMO.

It just doesn't quite tick enough "red" boxes for me, I'm just about going yellow.

Red for me. I based it on replay from this angle and not just the freeze frame. There is plenty force (excessive) above ankle, passes the speed test as well.

Generally I don't change decisions based on outcome but if the outcome shows me what I thought I saw was not the case then I can change. For example in this case if I thought contact was below ankle and I go yellow, and then I see a gash above ankle, I can change to red.

View attachment 6633
Someone sent me this angle just after I posted this, and whilst it doesn't look nice; its low, the leg is bent and there wasn't too much speed/force. But I would say that red is 'sell-able' with this angle

For your bit regarding changing your mind based on a cut- this is a very dangerous route to take. You have no idea whether that cut or shirt/short/sock rip was there beforehand. On top of that, someone getting hurt or having a cut doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be red

Camera angle is deceiving here. It looks a trip from that. But the reaction of the other Arsenal players immediately says it’s a naughty one. Plus the body language of the Everton player says she knows she gone in to wipe the player out.

Has the referee changed her mind based on the injury itself?

Something we won’t know.

hard not to argue that it doesn’t endanger an opponent.

Has the referee changed her mind based on the injury itself?

Something we won’t know.

hard not to argue that it doesn’t endanger an opponent.
I think its more likely the liner got involved over the comms. Not too often you'll see that happen these days

I honestly hope it wasn't down to the injury

For your bit regarding changing your mind based on a cut- this is a very dangerous route to take. You have no idea whether that cut or shirt/short/sock rip was there beforehand.
Hmmm... I think I have some ideas so I think that makes your assumption false. 😂

Seriously though, I won't send players off based on 50-50 assumption or on guesses. As referees we make judgement calls all the time even in red cards. And we don't always need scientific examination of a forensic lab to come to some conclusions.

I couldn't watch the video since it's geo-locked, and I don't like to make decisions based solely on a still. However, that particular type of contact (above the ankle, front or inside of the leg) should be red more often than not. That particular point of contact is a lot more dangerous than other types, so it should hit the "endangering safety" bar more quickly.

View attachment 6633
Was yellow for me until I saw this angle...

Was yellow for me until I saw this angle...
Same for me. I think at a grassroots level you could very easily caution and nobody would really argue, but by letter of the law it is probably a red and this level would expect that.

Back