A&H

Wolves v Arsenal

Ryanj91

I don't understand how Wolves weren't given a penalty first half.

VAR said it was onside (according to commentators)
Saliba mistimed he tackle and wipes out wolves player.
Referee says no foul.
VAR didn't get involved in a very clear and obvious mistake? Which is really odd.

Match resumed with a IDF for offside.

The Referee Store
I don't understand how Wolves weren't given a penalty first half.

VAR said it was onside (according to commentators)
Saliba mistimed he tackle and wipes out wolves player.
Referee says no foul.
VAR didn't get involved in a very clear and obvious mistake? Which is really odd.

Match resumed with a IDF for offside.
Because the linesman flagged it for offside beforehand. The offside nullifies the penalty shout and can’t be reviewed as no goal came from it.

Had the AR kept his flag down the penalty could have been reviewed.

Because the linesman flagged it for offside beforehand. The offside nullifies the penalty shout and can’t be reviewed as no goal came from it.

Had the AR kept his flag down the penalty could have been reviewed.
But the foul took place before the offside flag was raised.

So surely it would have gone, penalty VAR check, then back to confirm if it was onside or not.

If not, what is the point of VAR?

But the foul took place before the offside flag was raised.

So surely it would have gone, penalty VAR check, then back to confirm if it was onside or not.
Frustratingly not. The foul happened before the flag went up but the offside ‘offence’ technically happened before the foul.

Frustratingly not. The foul happened before the flag went up but the offside ‘offence’ technically happened before the foul.
I'm not trying to act dumb here, but I do not understand this.

There was no offence as he wasn't offside. So they should have checked the offside and then gone, right he is onside, is it a foul, yes, award penalty.

Otherwise goals would be ruled out for the same reason? Goal goes in, offside flag raised, not offside, resume with IDF as the 'offside' was first.

Same outcome as what you are saying.

VAR is for goals, penalties and red cards, so it meets the criteria.

I'm not trying to act dumb here, but I do not understand this.

There was no offence as he wasn't offside. So they should have checked the offside and then gone, right he is onside, is it a foul, yes, award penalty.

Otherwise goals would be ruled out for the same reason? Goal goes in, offside flag raised, not offside, resume with IDF as the 'offside' was first.

Same outcome as what you are saying.

VAR is for goals, penalties and red cards, so it meets the criteria.
It’s quite complicated and took me a while to get my head round it too so I completely understand the confusion. The Sky pundits did explain it at HT which helped.

So as the offside offence technically came first this discounts the penalty. If an offside is given it can only be overturned if a goal is scored and then the offside is reviewed afterwards. Offside can not be overturned for anything other than a goal. This is why the ARs have been told to keep flags down until the passage of play is over in case a goal is scored.

I have no idea why it wasn’t in this case

It’s quite complicated and took me a while to get my head round it too so I completely understand the confusion. The Sky pundits did explain it at HT which helped.

So as the offside offence technically came first this discounts the penalty. If an offside is given it can only be overturned if a goal is scored and then the offside is reviewed afterwards. Offside can not be overturned for anything other than a goal. This is why the ARs have been told to keep flags down until the passage of play is over in case a goal is scored.

I have no idea why it wasn’t in this case
Incorrect offside decisions can be corrected in the case of goals, penalty kicks and red card incidents.

Having viewed the incident, I think a penalty kick was not given because there was no foul. Looks like a simple coming together to me. If anything, the Wolves player trips the Arsenal defender; 'getting' the ball first is immaterial.

The key phrase here is "clear and obvious error". It might well have been a foul, but there is simply no way it can fall under the C&O category so VAR was correct not to get involved.

Literally just seen this incident on the MOTD and though no lines were drawn it did look like a clear offside so I'm not sure where the idea that VAR should have reviewed it comes from. Great call by the AR.

Haven't seen the incident but I can safely guess. Reviews can only happen for goal/no goal, Pen/no pen or send off/no send off (and the rare mistaken identity) decisions and possible offence in the lead up play to those. For a goal possible lead up offences are always reviewed. For pen or send off incidents lead up offences become irrelevant (non-reviewable) if there was no C&O error for pen/send off even if the lead up offence was clearly and obviously wrong. The only exception to this is if the lead up or the actual incident was a cautionable offence. So the sequence I see for OP is:

1. Possible Pen foul
  2. Foul Reviewed by VAR
  3. No C&O error for pen (no lead up offence reviewed)
  4. VAR does not get involved
  5. R accepts (with delay) the AR flag as offside*
  6. Play restarts with IFK for offside

* Neither R nor AR know the offside decision was wrong because VAR did not get involved dur to no C&O error occurring on a goal/pen/send off

If VAR tells the R/AR it is not offside then it just becomes VAR re-refereeing the game for minor decisions.

Last edited:
Literally just seen this incident on the MOTD and though no lines were drawn it did look like a clear offside so I'm not sure where the idea that VAR should have reviewed it comes from. Great call by the AR.
"Offside" player was behind the ball.

Clear and obvious penalty IMO.

How can the AR possibly give a credible decision when he is nowhere near level to make such a marginal call?

You can't tell from an angle that is nowhere near level. The attacker in the middle has his head leaning forward, plus I'm not sure that is the exact point of playing the ball. They have to go on the technology.
This is the exact moment of the pass. I know because I took the screenshot myself. Looks on, but I agree with you it's a really marginal decision.

Back