A&H

Wolves Forest VAR

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Oh no... he's gone to the telly... they are re-refereeing... it's nothing... it's a dive... but VAR has made him go to the telly...

He's only given the penalty. OMG. To make it 1-1 with 10 to go. That is just awful.

The Referee Store
Seeing some of the HB's given around the World lately, the EPl has ultimately failed to resist the global culture of HB at every opportunity
Controversial comment, but smacks of Law Makers (not R's as such) who've never kicked a ball.... or had a ball kicked against their hand/arm

Edit: I've just watched the highlights and am incandescent as to where we are with Professional Refereeing. Disgrace
Hearing it a lot now, 'the f*** VAR chant', but it won't make any difference
FIFA/Confederations/PGMOL.... hell bent on making the game 'all about the Match Officials'

Last edited:
For the sake of making it clear.

The referee was Tom Bramall. His VAR was Lee Mason.

Simply put, that is not a handball

Two terrible handball decisions in this match.

The first one: the ball was blasted at him; his arm was close to his body; no time to react. Yet, inexplicably, the referee watches a replay in slow motion. How can you make an informed decision when watching it in only slow motion?

The second one: much of the same. Very fast paced cross into the box. Both of the defender's arms are in a natural position; he just misjudges the flight of the ball. Referee watches a replay in slow motion and, after giving the first one, he has little choice but to give this one.

Terrible refereeing from the referee and VAR which will cause headaches for grassroots referees because, just like the Nottingham Forest players did, every grassroot player is going to be screaming for a handball whenever the ball touches a players arm.

Mason... PGMOL Job for life policy

Not seen it but is this two new top flight referees royally shafted by the same poor performing long term top flight referee?

maybe Mason just living out his grudge, or, wishing every ref to be as horrendous as he

Yeah, given for handball against traore, apparently
According everything I've seen and read, it was given for holding by Nunes on Yates.

As far as I could tell from the MotD coverage, the VAR replays that the referee watched didn't even show the potential handling by Traoré, only the alleged holding offence.

According the BBC Sport match report for example, the penalty was given:

after VAR had spotted Matheus Nunes tugging back Ryan Yates.

According everything I've seen and read, it was given for holding by Nunes on Yates.

As far as I could tell from the MotD coverage, the VAR replays that the referee watched didn't even show the potential handling by Traoré, only the alleged holding offence.

According the BBC Sport match report for example, the penalty was given:
Bizarre, sky highlights show the opposite, clearly!

There is some confusion here I think. The penalty given for Wolves looks pretty clear to me, when the shot was taken Toffolo's arm was by his side, by the time it reached him it was well out from his body, and not as part of any kind of natural movement.

For the Forest penalty they checked handball, but it was actually given for holding on Yates, you could see that was what the referee was looking at on the screen.

There is some confusion here I think. The penalty given for Wolves looks pretty clear to me, when the shot was taken Toffolo's arm was by his side, by the time it reached him it was well out from his body, and not as part of any kind of natural movement.

For the Forest penalty they checked handball, but it was actually given for holding on Yates, you could see that was what the referee was looking at on the screen.
Yes, this.

The OP was ssying the holding should never have gone for review.

Maybe this thread highlights that in game communication about VAR does not work.

I can’t see why people don’t think Toffolos one is handball? He knows what he’s doing, and it’s a clear example of making your body bigger. He doesn’t even argue when it’s given, he knows what he’s done

The replay view from down the pitch for me highlighted just how blatant the handball was, clear movement of the hand upwards towards the ball after the ball had left the attacker's foot.

Back