A&H

Why do we do it?

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Having one of those low moments after a difficult game where I wonder what the point is.

Don't get me wrong I'm not thinking about jacking it in but I have to ask myself the question Whats the point.

I thought I had a decent game but for the last two games I've took too much stick.

Suppose it's just players piss you off spouting rubbish.You don't give a marginal offside that results in a goal and its your fault,like its your fault he took it well, and your fault they can't mark their player.

Idiots.

The Referee Store
Whenever I feel like that I just think that the higher up you go the better the standard of football and the better behaved the players are. Put up with it now and you will be rewarded in the future

Whenever I feel like that I just think that the higher up you go the better the standard of football and the better behaved the players are. Put up with it now and you will be rewarded in the future

But only if you are prepared to become blind and deaf to the abuse dished out to you.....otherwise your club marks will suffer and you'll never ascend that greasy shaft of promotion without keeping the clubs happy.......

But only if you are prepared to become blind and deaf to the abuse dished out to you.....otherwise your club marks will suffer and you'll never ascend that greasy shaft of promotion without keeping the clubs happy.......
That is the problem.

Rock and a Hard place. I am a referee who wants to climb the greasy pole, but I am also a referee with a zero tolerance to OFFINABUS and a very low tolerance level to dissent, which means I either go with my head or my heart, and the heart will always edge it.

My opinion on that may change, but its very tough to get promoted, as @Padfoot said, without pandering to the ridiculousness that is the promotion system.

Clubs being happy > The LOTG to those who decide. Pandering to clubs far too easily (Level 5>4 promotion and onwards I should add)

Last edited:
Hang in there regalref. I have experienced what you are describing this season.

The best bit of advice I had when having a difficult patch - don't let the bstrads grind you down.

Better days are coming.

And that's the thing. I took way too much abuse today, despite having a decent game and it was a tough one.

Pitch very very boggy which resulted in long ball from both teams and made it incredibly difficult to keep up with play.

First goal was a penalty which was spot on, I was in a great position with a clear view an it was about a yard inside the box. The fouled player fell out of the box which made it a little dubious but there was no doubt in my mind. Of course Red were livid.

Only one caution, a reckless sliding challenge straight through the back of blue 8. Again cue Red constant moans but for me there was nothing to think about, a definite caution.

Just before half time Blue through on goal, ball bounces up about knee high as he's about to strike, Red comes with outstretched leg from behind, clears ball, a good challenge, but both players end up in a heap. Blue CAR then starts to verbally abuse all and sundry including me so hold the game, relieve him of his CAR duties and told Blue coach to shut him up, another word and he's banished.

Blue coach no help and just laughed while i Insisted flag was removed from CAR.

After HT standard improved all around for about 10 minutes, decent game.Half way through 2nd half Blue on attack, 50-50 slide challenge goes in, ball breaks loose and Blue swings cross into box, Red shout for offside, Blue scores. Whole Red team going nuts.

Wasn't watching for offside on the cross because was watching for afters on the initial slide which I thought there would be. Still picked the ball up mid flight and could see striker who scored and defender jump together as striker headed ball into net.If he was Offside it was marginal.

Blue score again with 10 minutes to go to make it 3-0.

Last 5 minutes Red coach starts giving me loads across the pitch about 'how I've got to pay this clown after this shower of Sh!t'. So I go over, take his name, tell him he'll be reported and warn him if he breathes another word he'll be gone.

As we come off the pitch he apologises, asks me about the penalty and 2nd goal, doesn't let me answer then says 'we just want consistency'.

I told him that wasn't a problem, as his misconduct report would be sent in the same consistent manor the Yellow would be, as would the request for my fee from the league.Prat.

@RegalRef this is all too common an occurrence and the whole "we just want consistency" is always used by the managers. But they can't have it both ways. If you card players, last weeks ref didn't and YOURE the one not being consistent and if you don't card, you're losing control and letting things go.

Its all a nonsense to me

This referee strike idea is becoming much more favourable in my mind recently. Every week I see other refs face the same crock of sh*t too. Not on.

I agree Herts.

I don't believe the consistency BS either. I went across and warned the blue CAR like I warned him, yet he says I'm inconsistent. If the blue CAR wasn't just a speccy with the flag I'd have asked his name too.

As I very briefly said to him as we left the pitch I gave some marginal decisions around the box to the benefit of his strikers because that was how I saw it but they did nothing with them, that ain't my fault.

It's difficult when you get so much **** from either side to not let it sway the next 50-50 decision, but you have to go with as you see it.

It was funny when I gave the penalty, just before it was taken the Red coach shouted 'you've bottled it ref!'.

Now maybe my understanding of the phrase is off, but surely if I bottled it I would've given a Fk on the edge of the box or not given it at all, not given the pen? Jokers.

Rock and a Hard place. I am a referee who wants to climb the greasy pole, but I am also a referee with a zero tolerance to OFFINABUS and a very low tolerance level to dissent, which means I either go with my head or my heart, and the heart will always edge it.

My opinion on that may change, but its very tough to get promoted, as @Padfoot said, without pandering to the ridiculousness that is the promotion system.

Clubs being happy > The LOTG to those who decide. Pandering to clubs far too easily

Herts, for what it's worth, the assessors in my 7 to 6 season have ALL been keen for me to stamp out on dissent. I get the sense this will be true for 6 to 5 also. Totally get your point though, that beyond that point, it increasingly becomes about the 'entertainment' value and therefore a deaf ear becomes more in vogue ....

Sorry you had such a horrific game today. Maybe consider U18s instead on a Sunday? Whilst no angels, my experience would be that football takes precedence over abuse in those matches

Herts, for what it's worth, the assessors in my 7 to 6 season have ALL been keen for me to stamp out on dissent. I get the sense this will be true for 6 to 5 also. Totally get your point though, that beyond that point, it increasingly becomes about the 'entertainment' value and therefore a deaf ear becomes more in vogue ....

Sorry you had such a horrific game today. Maybe consider U18s instead on a Sunday? Whilst no angels, my experience would be that football takes precedence over abuse in those matches
It's not the referees job to provide 'entertainment' regardless of the level of football.

Where the problems begin is where you start to officiate in games where players are collecting wages.......no club is going to be happy having pay a player who gets dismissed for S6....but it's easier to blame the ref and mark you down then it is to deal with the players behaviour......and that attitude is more entrenched the higher up the pyramid you go......

The clubs view is that refs should just accept the abuse as 'part of the game' and view c2 and s6 as 'cheap' so will mark accordingly. Sometimes, they will dismiss it if you were being assessed, but as, at early stages, you are only assessed on a tiny amount of your games, over the course of a season those lost club marks for standing firm on abuse can, and will, cost you promotion.
At higher levels the leagues will simply stop giving you appointments if you keep upsetting clubs with the cheap cards........

So, the whole promotion system encourages refs to go blind and deaf to the abuse......and it will never change unless club marks are removed, or given the lowest possible consideration, in deciding a candidates fate.

@Padfoot , I'm not going to debate the rights and wrongs of referees facilitating entertainment for the paying public in higher levels of football .. I can respect both points of view on that issue.

In my previous post I was simply trying to reassure @HertsFinest that from what I've seen and heard he has nothing to fear from the first couple of years of the promotion system in our county (where assessment marks are indeed the key determining factor in the decision)

@RegalRef this is all too common an occurrence and the whole "we just want consistency" is always used by the managers. But they can't have it both ways. If you card players, last weeks ref didn't and YOURE the one not being consistent and if you don't card, you're losing control and letting things go.

Its all a nonsense to me

This referee strike idea is becoming much more favourable in my mind recently. Every week I see other refs face the same crock of sh*t too. Not on.

I can tell you now that if you don't penalise dissent you won't get promoted 6 to 7 in hertfordshire. If you can't prevent it from being an issue in the first place then you'll struggle to get to 5.

Match control is not about ignoring dissent, it's about recognising which frustrated outbursts are actually an example of dissent and then making sure the players take you seriously enough to stay on the right side of that line in the first place so you don't need to dish out any C2's.

The other thing I'd suggest is to forget all about last week's ref. Worry about your game, how you want to referee and control the game, and then focus on being as good at that as you can be. Back yourself and last week's ref isn't relevant!

I can tell you now that if you don't penalise dissent you won't get promoted 6 to 7 in hertfordshire. If you can't prevent it from being an issue in the first place then you'll struggle to get to 5.

Match control is not about ignoring dissent, it's about recognising which frustrated outbursts are actually an example of dissent and then making sure the players take you seriously enough to stay on the right side of that line in the first place so you don't need to dish out any C2's.

The other thing I'd suggest is to forget all about last week's ref. Worry about your game, how you want to referee and control the game, and then focus on being as good at that as you can be. Back yourself and last week's ref isn't relevant!

Either you have quoted the wrong post or wrong thread or something or it is getting late and Im missing something! Not sure how the quote youve used matches your response? And I quite agree with what you have said, never said otherwise.

Where dissent becomes a block on promotion is the 5-4 jump when moolah gets involved.

Back to the original post @RegalRef there will not be referee in the country or world that has not had a game like this, where you come home throw your bag under the stairs and tell your missus how much you hated it and question yourself as to why you bother. However, from what you explained you believe your decisions were right so therefore they were right, they can argue and abuse as much as they want but you seem to have come away from the game believing that you got the majority of you calls correct so keep your head held high. The only thing I may have done (and you may have done it anyway) was if the captain was ok then maybe pull him to one side and ask him to help you calm his players rather than me getting card happy etc etc. Otherwise we have ALL been there, it frustrates the hell out of me as I often think do you know what no where else in the land would you speak to me the way you are doing but just because were on a patch of grass then you think you can, I bite my tongue and crack on and discipline where necessary.

Keep up the good work mate, games like this will happen again during your career that is for certain and remember its always the losing team that think your c***p because they would never lose a game if they had a decent ref, its ALWAYS our fault!!

Either you have quoted the wrong post or wrong thread or something or it is getting late and Im missing something! Not sure how the quote youve used matches your response? And I quite agree with what you have said, never said otherwise.

Where dissent becomes a block on promotion is the 5-4 jump when moolah gets involved.

Moolah??

This reads very much like "dissent is the refs fault for not blahblahblah."
You're prob right, the best refs in the country never receive dissent :rolleyes:
And your LWR theory is fantasy. Of course LWR affects your own game!

Back