A&H

Why do we check the keepers are ready before kick off?

A friend said if you're going to check that the keeper is ready, are you going to go through the whole team?

The truth is that you don't do it, you can guarantee you will have that 1 in a million shot on goal from kick off and then you have 89 minutes and 50 seconds of hell trying to regain match control.

The Referee Store
A friend said if you're going to check that the keeper is ready, are you going to go through the whole team?

The truth is that you don't do it, you can guarantee you will have that 1 in a million shot on goal from kick off and then you have 89 minutes and 50 seconds of hell trying to regain match control.

Your friends point is what makes me think why do I do it, I kind of know that I do it due to years of seeing refs do it on games I was playing in but it makes no sense.

If all the other players are lined up but the one keeper is still fiddling with his gloves, we as refs are not at fault, he is. Although no doubt as you say they would disagree.

Your friends point is what makes me think why do I do it, I kind of know that I do it due to years of seeing refs do it on games I was playing in but it makes no sense.

If all the other players are lined up but the one keeper is still fiddling with his gloves, we as refs are not at fault, he is. Although no doubt as you say they would disagree.
Matty, you'll see in my other posts I mention about bringing a game to a safe conclusion - that's why you do it. If by that small chance the team kick off and score, you won't bring that game to a safe conclusion. It will be unnecessary hard work all the way, for the sake of asking the keeper to give you a thumbs up to say he's ready.

Just a habit from when I was playing (as a keeper) and would often be asked...courteous and as others point out, it avoids any issues should the keeper not be ready...rather ask before than deal with the aftermath IMO...think it's something most teams expect (certainly around my way anyway) from the referee to be honest.

It is something I have always done, and will continue to do. By making sure the goalkeepers are ready it alerts everyone else that kickoff is imminent.

Back