A&H

Why are fouls in the penalty area different to fouls outside penalty area?

Beezer

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Why is it the penalty area seems to bring a whole different set of rules to the table ? Its because the consequences of getting one wrong for the referee are so much greater and therefor there will always be an element of hesitation and dare I say it leinency ......:foot: in the favour of the defending side ..........

On many occasions especially at corners and free kicks the ball has gone in and there has been a little shove or a barge and my head says pen then my mouth says No not enough for me .....frustrating but human nature im afraid ?

We are surely all guilty of this ? Honesty is required

Shoud have started a new thread with this one ? Any chance Mr Moderator

The Referee Store
Thank you .... my typing is so slow .....I started typing that post at half four lol

Reactions: SM
Why is it the penalty area seems to bring a whole different set of rules to the table ? Its because the consequences of getting one wrong for the referee are so much greater and therefor there will always be an element of hesitation and dare I say it leinency ......:foot: in the favour of the defending side ..........

On many occasions especially at corners and free kicks the ball has gone in and there has been a little shove or a barge and my head says pen then my mouth says No not enough for me .....frustrating but human nature im afraid ?

We are surely all guilty of this ? Honesty is required

Shoud have started a new thread with this one ? Any chance Mr Moderator
Not in my games, well not for at least 11 years and I learned how to referee properly

Well Brian you may well be one of the the exceptions , as I have seen situations in every park.......... and in many televised games for years where fouls given easily outside the box will very often not be given inside ..............it does happen at all levels , even at the very top........... all down to the consequence of having to give a penalty for .... a sometimes.....minor offence

don't know if you meant it .... but your comment seems a bit blunt ....

One was only making a personal observation ;)

Brian often comes over as pompous, beezer, but he's generally a good egg underneath

Well Brian you may well be one of the the exceptions , as I have seen situations in every park.......... and in many televised games for years where fouls given easily outside the box will very often not be given inside ..............it does happen at all levels , even at the very top........... all down to the consequence of having to give a penalty for .... a sometimes.....minor offence

don't know if you meant it .... but your comment seems a bit blunt ....

One was only making a personal observation ;)
I like being an exception. I also like being blunt from time to time. I don't referee televised football, I referee (or for the most part refereed as I'm currently making my second return from retirement) proper grassroots football. My comment was directed at referees who don't develop.

Brian often comes over as pompous, beezer, but he's generally a good egg underneath
He said blunt, not pompous, don't be putting words in the man's keyboard

....lol......No offence taken brian but when I first read your comment .....it read in my mind ....your a **** ref and im really good .......thats why I said blunt ...

lets bring some love back to the room :)

your reply has probably put every other referee on here admitting their frailties

you would never believe that i give counseling for a living ......

I often find myself thinking 'if he'd gone down I'd have given a penalty.' I just personally wouldn't be giving a pen if someone manages to stay on their feet, which I know isn't right. But it's so much easier to sell if someone hits the deck.

Also I'm with you on the corner thing. Open play if players are putting their hands on each other I will blow for a free kick as there is no need to be touching each other. But in the box I am much more lenient!

Had a game last week where every corner one team was shirt pulling but I gave nothing for some reason. So I know where you're coming from :/

As I said Dave I have seen it time after time ! as a player , coach and referee and avid watcher of all football ......a foul just seems to have to be a bit more of a foul if you know what i mean to be given in the penalty area as the consequences are greater ........ie you are 9 out of 10 times awarding a goal and it just niggles away at the back of your mind

I am very aware that it shouldnt make any difference ........ but its just one of those things I suppose

Does anyone else wish to confess this sin of the mind ?. Denial is also a weakness ?

I think its more to the fact that if there was say a slight push and I was to blow for a pen there would be uproar. Players get pushed in the box and unless its a proper full on push I am unlikely to punish it. More for the reason that the defending team would be furious..... Plus if you are just giving pens for a slight push here and there you would be giving them all game. And like someone above said regarding if the player went down I would have given a pen....im the exact same. Had a player just last week get a slight clip from a defender but he stayed up played on and hit it wide. Was thinking had he gone down I would have blown. However had I given a pen I would have caused uproar.

On the flip side I think players are a bit more willing to accept a push or two in the box. If a corner goes in a striker won't be moaning 'in the back' as they are attacking the ball to try and score. Yet a goal kick they only need a blade of grass to touch them and they'll moan. Also imagine how slaughtered a defender would get if he just throws his arms in the air for a tiny push and doesn't track his man that scores. So in that sense it's all relative I guess.

Also, I think the 'leniency' comes because a lot of the time the penalty box action is at set pieces where it's inevitably more crowded and there's more jostling for position than in open play. So in those situations I am happy to admit to being less likely to penalise some bumping or grappling (either way). But in a more open play situation in the box (say one on one attacker / defender) then I'd try to stay consistent with outside the box .. whether the fouled player goes to ground or not! .. and therefore do find myself giving a decent number of penalties ..

Back