A&H

Whole game system

Shahba

Level 7 Referee
Hello I’m a new ref here with a few questions
I’m not too sure how to use the match cards. Is it worth going and finding out every players full name before kick off, or does it not really matter.
Next I need to know on the whole game system, will a match I’ve been appointed to automatically appear
And then on that what do I need to say about the game I.e squads? Score? Cards?

The Referee Store
Welcome Shahba

You don't need to ask player's names before hand, just ask them their name when you caution or dismiss them.

In wholegame your games do not appear automatically you need to click the 'add match' button on the left.

Hi there @Shahba and welcome!

I'll go things in order, keeps things simple / layman's terms, and others can advise / correct as necessary :D

1) The competitions you receive games for may or may not require the teams to give you a list of their starting XI, and in nearly all circumstances will require you to obtain the names of the (non-starting) substitutes. Sometimes you won't get a team-sheet, sometimes you will, ensure each match you DO get the sub's names (unless you're on leagues with roll-on, roll-off "return" subs). Either way, if you do caution or send-off a player, substitute, or team official... you'll be asking and confirming their name at that point. If you're not given a 1-11 teamsheet before kick-off, crack on. But do ask ahead of kickoff for their named subs.

2) Matches will NOT automatically appear on WGS in most circumstances. As a new referee, I wouldn't expect them to, and neither will it act as an "I'm busy that day" reminder to any other league/referee secretaries when it comes to giving matches out, so you'll need to stay on top of your availability if you ref for more than one league. You can either Add Match yourself ahead of time, and select the teams and competition involved from the search function and drop-down boxes. This may be helpful or not if you want a form of diary, OR merely add the fixtures after completion. No reports? Then select 'No Reports'. If there's been misconduct you need to report - cards, other nonsense - then can add the fixture at that point and go from there. It's all quite straight forward when you get to it, and we'll all be happy to help if you get stuck.

3) If you've had no incidents in a match, then you can opt to not Add Match on WGS.. but best practice is to Add Match, fill in the form, and then there's "No incidents to report", where you can simply select that and submit a "nil report" meaning that your FA knows you ref'd the game, and have nothing to report. Yoou're not responsible for line-ups, teams, scores, etc. These are wholly the responsibility of the club(s). As a ref, purely misconduct (yellows / reds / if anything else happens). Breaches of COMPETITION rules should be reported to the competition secretary (late kick-off, no technical area, no corner flags, no club lino, etc etc) and not through WGS.

I'll go things in order, keeps things simple / layman's terms, and others can advise / correct as necessary :D

1) The competitions you receive games for may or may not require the teams to give you a list of their starting XI, and in nearly all circumstances will require you to obtain the names of the (non-starting) substitutes. Sometimes you won't get a team-sheet, sometimes you will, ensure each match you DO get the sub's names (unless you're on leagues with roll-on, roll-off "return" subs). Either way, if you do caution or send-off a player, substitute, or team official... you'll be asking and confirming their name at that point. If you're not given a 1-11 teamsheet before kick-off, crack on. But do ask ahead of kickoff for their named subs.

2) Matches will NOT automatically appear on WGS in most circumstances. As a new referee, I wouldn't expect them to, and neither will it act as an "I'm busy that day" reminder to any other league/referee secretaries when it comes to giving matches out, so you'll need to stay on top of your availability if you ref for more than one league. You can either Add Match yourself ahead of time, and select the teams and competition involved from the search function and drop-down boxes. This may be helpful or not if you want a form of diary, OR merely add the fixtures after completion. No reports? Then select 'No Reports'. If there's been misconduct you need to report - cards, other nonsense - then can add the fixture at that point and go from there. It's all quite straight forward when you get to it, and we'll all be happy to help if you get stuck.

3) If you've had no incidents in a match, then you can opt to not Add Match on WGS.. but best practice is to Add Match, fill in the form, and then there's "No incidents to report", where you can simply select that and submit a "nil report" meaning that your FA knows you ref'd the game, and have nothing to report. Yoou're not responsible for line-ups, teams, scores, etc. These are wholly the responsibility of the club(s). As a ref, purely misconduct (yellows / reds / if anything else happens). Breaches of COMPETITION rules should be reported to the competition secretary (late kick-off, no technical area, no corner flags, no club lino, etc etc) and not through WGS.
So I can press add game before hand?

So I can press add game before hand?
You can - and as Chas above me has said - you don’t NEED to. Some use it as a diary, but I’ll stress again that if you add fixtures ahead of the day, then it doesn’t mark you as “busy” anywhere. Matter of whatever works for you.

After a game, either nothing / something to report as per whatever happens.

Well I'm learning something. I'm only adding matches if I have sanctions to report. I'm not adding a match if there's no sanctions. Should I be, and if so, for what purpose, bearing in mind I don't want to go and backfill about 70 games or so!

Well I'm learning something. I'm only adding matches if I have sanctions to report. I'm not adding a match if there's no sanctions. Should I be, and if so, for what purpose, bearing in mind I don't want to go and backfill about 70 games or so!
You do not need to add games where there are no sanctions - I am told that some officials do that just to count their games, which seems an odd thing to do!

From a new referee pont of view, I would recommended you add at least all your first five games. No entirely sure what checks are done to verify that you've done five games, but seems logical that the Whole Game System would be one of those databases used.

From a new referee pont of view, I would recommended you add at least all your first five games. No entirely sure what checks are done to verify that you've done five games, but seems logical that the Whole Game System would be one of those databases used.
CFA's merely
need to check that the 5 matches took place, and that the new referee was in the middle; many of those are not on WGS.

Sometimes you won't get a team-sheet, sometimes you will, ensure each match you DO get the sub's names (unless you're on leagues with roll-on, roll-off "return" subs).

I know it's an old thread, but for anyone who comes across it and is new, you need to still take subs for roll on roll off in cup games, as if there's an issue with player eligibility after the game, you may have to refer to your notes to see if the player played or not. I take subs, and just tick if a player comes on, for RORO.

Just something in the thread that caught my eye.

Back