A&H

Where has my enthusiasm gone?

deusex

RefChat Addict
Somewhere between November and today, I have just lost all enthusiasm for refereeing and I've no idea why.
Possible reasons I can think of:

1. With my job sometimes taking me abroad at 2 weeks notice I cannot commit to applying for L4, so I've been refereeing the same standard of football for 10 years and (rightly or wrongly) condsider myself well in my comfort zone
2. My own job is VERY boring right now (am I carrying that apathy into to other areas of my life)
3. Player behaviour appalling (although I never had a problem last season, where I issued 100+ cautions, have I just been worn down finally?)

I've only done 25 matches this season, so am hardly burnt out.

Any ideas?

The Referee Store
Really sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully just a temporary thing.

Three suggestions for you.

1) Switch to Womens football. At L5 you'd be able to officiate at a decent level, so greater technical skill, better pitches / facilities and (generally) better player behaviour
2) Switch to Youth football. Potentially more reward for less travel / hassle. Though some would disagree!
3) Spend a while mentoring younger referees to 'give something back' / remember why you loved it in the first place.

Fingers crossed ....

Yeah I'd say if you're feeling like this, take a step back from it is that you've been doing regularly. I'm going to assume men's open age. As suggest above, try a different approach; ladies, youth maybe even disability? Something that you'll get something out of it. Mentor/coach/assessor? Help the next generation for the rest of the season then try again 2016/2017?

I've been a bit fed up with playing over the last few weeks so I've started refereeing more. A change of scenery sometimes helps

Option 3
Last season 11 middles, 16 cautions, 3 dismissals.
This season 16 middles, 29 cautions, 5 dismissals and 3 misconduct charges

Poor player behaviour is killing football below Contributory League

Go be a tutor, it gives you a different perspective. Don't do Women's or Youth, it will not provide the challenge you need.

A couple of years ago I felt exactly the same way as deusex!

I "retired" from refereeing as I had become totally disillusioned with everything due to work related stress, a culmination of poor behaviour on the touchline by parents and coaches, struggling with fitness (dodgy knees and temperamental ankle from previous injuries) and wanted to show more support to my son who was having a hard time at the club he was with. I had lost my ref'n mojo!

At first I really enjoyed the break. Could go to my son's and other games without the pressure of knowing I wouldn't be the one everyone was looking at to make a decision. As time went on, I became more and more frustrated and annoyed. I would find myself concentrating on the referee more than the game itself and in mind constantly questioning every decision and thinking I wouldn't have done that, you should have do this, move around the pitch you lazy cretin etc etc.

After watching one of my son's games, refereed by one of the home team's dads who fair play to him for stepping up and be willing to do it, but looked woefully out of his depth. We were walking back to the car and there was an 11-a-side adults game still playing on a nearby pitch. I looked across and noticed the referee, the guy must have been in his 70s and didn't move much out of the centre circle. I began thinking to myself despite the fitness issues, if they can do it, then I can still make a difference!

9 months after "announcing my retirement", I put the all black kit on once again. The away team for the game had a reputation and for all the wrong reasons. Had a run in myself with the manager and his delightful assistant shortly before calling it quits after rather feisty game. In the days before the game felt apprehensive and wondered what the hell I was doing. Game arrived and went over for a pre-match hand shake with the managers etc, away manager's first words were "Hi ref, great to see you again" (he probably was taking the p, but hid it well if he was), I responded "Is it?" and we both had a bit of a laugh. Game flew by without any major incidents, felt in my mind I had absolutely nailed it and it was great to be back.

Still enjoying ref'n after returning and certainly have no plans to retire again in the foreseeable future...

Everyone is different, but sometimes a break, even a short one can make a difference to the mind set. :)

Good luck with what ever you decide to do dude!

A couple of years ago I felt exactly the same way as deusex!

I "retired" from refereeing as I had become totally disillusioned with everything due to work related stress, a culmination of poor behaviour on the touchline by parents and coaches, struggling with fitness (dodgy knees and temperamental ankle from previous injuries) and wanted to show more support to my son who was having a hard time at the club he was with. I had lost my ref'n mojo!

At first I really enjoyed the break. Could go to my son's and other games without the pressure of knowing I wouldn't be the one everyone was looking at to make a decision. As time went on, I became more and more frustrated and annoyed. I would find myself concentrating on the referee more than the game itself and in mind constantly questioning every decision and thinking I wouldn't have done that, you should have do this, move around the pitch you lazy cretin etc etc.

After watching one of my son's games, refereed by one of the home team's dads who fair play to him for stepping up and be willing to do it, but looked woefully out of his depth. We were walking back to the car and there was an 11-a-side adults game still playing on a nearby pitch. I looked across and noticed the referee, the guy must have been in his 70s and didn't move much out of the centre circle. I began thinking to myself despite the fitness issues, if they can do it, then I can still make a difference!

9 months after "announcing my retirement", I put the all black kit on once again. The away team for the game had a reputation and for all the wrong reasons. Had a run in myself with the manager and his delightful assistant shortly before calling it quits after rather feisty game. In the days before the game felt apprehensive and wondered what the hell I was doing. Game arrived and went over for a pre-match hand shake with the managers etc, away manager's first words were "Hi ref, great to see you again" (he probably was taking the p, but hid it well if he was), I responded "Is it?" and we both had a bit of a laugh. Game flew by without any major incidents, felt in my mind I had absolutely nailed it and it was great to be back.

Still enjoying ref'n after returning and certainly have no plans to retire again in the foreseeable future...

Everyone is different, but sometimes a break, even a short one can make a difference to the mind set. :)

Good luck with what ever you decide to do dude!

How old are you @Mooseybaby ?

@deusex To me it just sounds like you need a new challenge.

Some different scenery, new faces, call it what you will but sounds like you've adapted to the current level, leagues, strengths and weaknesses as much as possible, and without any new grounds, clubs or abilities to get your teeth into you feel very much 'been there, done that'.

That's completely understandable mate.

Find some different leagues to ply your trade next season, finish this season, enjoy the break and no doubt you'll be really looking forward to the start of 2016/17.

Back