A&H

When is a backpass not a backpass?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
So, we have had the debate about a backpass from a defender to the keeper... if the ball is played up the pitch, is it still a backpass?

I recall a few voices in either direction.
I think the use of the term "backpass" is unfortunate - and should be changed. Luckily my local association speak a different language.

Their "eskimo" translation, when retranslated back to English, reads "return pass" rather than "backpass".

So, it is made easy for me. A "backpass" doesn't have to backwards ;)

The Referee Store
Doesn't matter which direction the ball is played in. If it is deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper and he controls it with his hands, then it should be penalised.

Just remember that kicking can only be done with the foot. Deliberate does not mean, as happening during a tackle or challenge.

So, we have had the debate about a backpass from a defender to the keeper... if the ball is played up the pitch, is it still a backpass?

I recall a few voices in either direction.
I don't recall any discussion (involving referees, at least) where anyone has said that a ball deliberately kicked to the keeper by a team mate has to travel in any specific direction. If anyone ever did say that, I'm sure they would have been shot down immediately.

I think that the confusion comes into play with the colloquial term "backpass".

Hell, the US (for a while) confused matters stating that any time deliberate kicking contact was made with the ball and it went to somewhere the GK could handle it, the IFK should be called if the GK did. That included from a tackle, etc.

Remember also that a backpass isn't just when a players passes in any direction to the goalkeeper during play by his feet. It can often be misconstrued by players who aren't as "clued up" on the laws. One I've seen this season; defender receives the ball, attacker inbound to make a challenge... Defender chips the ball up and heads to the goalkeeper who controls with his hand; "I headed it back ref, how's that a passback?".

Caution the player for UB and resume with IDFK to the attacking team from the point where the "circumventing" of the law occurred. Obviously if this is in the 6 yard box (goal area), it is to be done on the line of the area.

Last edited:
I may be wrong about this @DB , but in the specific instance you reference above (trickery to circumvent the 'backpass' law) isn't the FK awarded where the trickery occurs rather than where the GK picks it up? Thought it was like this as the offence was the trickery rather than the keeper actually handling the ball?

My interpretation of it (without quoting the good-book) is that the defender is doing nothing wrong by juggling and heading the ball back to his keeper... The keeper could just chest it down and play on without infringing any laws. The offence is because the keeper has picked the ball up. It's the same as when a normal "intentional" ball to the keeper has been controlled by the hand... You'd have the idfk from where the ball was handled. So, in no uncertain terms, I could juggle the ball, catch it on my neck and do the macarena before heading to the goalie for him to do the same thing (with absolutely no intention for the keeper to use his hands), but then the keeper has a skill-fade and decided to catch it! The little tinker!!

BUT, you can then argue the cautionable offence of "anything not listed in law 12" where you stop play to issue a caution, then give an idfk from the point of the offence, in this case the unsporting "rounding" of the laws...

Maybe an assessor or more experienced referee could steer me in the right direction in where the actual offence has taken place? I've never had this situation arise personally (the blatant backpass to circumvent the laws). I would award the idfk from the goalkeepers handling of the ball unless obviously I'm incorrect and it is infact from where the more serious offence took place, in this case the defenders position.

Last edited:
The offence here is TRICKERY. By the defender. And it doesn't matter if the GK picks up the ball or not... trickery has occurred.

You're actually stopping the play to caution the defender for the trickery (since the GK can legally handle that ball within his/her own penalty area), which is why the IFK is at the point where the defender committed said trickery...

Here's the only example of trickery I've ever seen in the professional game (and the ref actually screws this up completely... no caution, IFK halfway between the defender's position and the GK's position):

The offence here is TRICKERY. By the defender. And it doesn't matter if the GK picks up the ball or not... trickery has occurred.

You're actually stopping the play to caution the defender for the trickery (since the GK can legally handle that ball within his/her own penalty area), which is why the IFK is at the point where the defender committed said trickery...

Here's the only example of trickery I've ever seen in the professional game (and the ref actually screws this up completely... no caution, IFK halfway between the defender's position and the GK's position):

Trickery is not a cautionable offence entirely, skills and tricks are part of the game.. Trickery to circumvent the laws is the offence.. There's a difference (obviously you're aware of that).

The following are the extracts from the LOTG that will have an effect on a referee's judgement:
IDFK - Pg 38 - touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
IDFK - Pg 38 - commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player
UB - Pg 125 - uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick
uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper to circumvent the Law while he is taking a free kick (after the player is cautioned, the free kick must be retaken)

Now, I think the way that this law is written is pretty poor. The reason being, here's a scenario: the defender is on the goal-line outside of the penalty area, two attackers are incoming at a rate of knots, one heading straight towards the player and one to the players right hand side. His only option to get the ball away and safe is to pass back to his goalie who has advanced to a position where he can successfully receive a pass. The defender has a weak left foot, therefore he opts to do a cheeky little flick to the goalie, who then clears the ball by putting a foot through it... This then enters the UB realm; the defender has used a trick to get the ball to the keeper, who has then cleared the ball. You will never see a ref blow for that. If they did, you'd think he was mad. But clearly, the player has used a trick to get the ball to the keeper..

My question above, I've kind of answered myself with the above quote from pg 125. The offender is the defender. My way of thinking is what if that trickery is the only way he can get the ball to the goalie, it wouldn't neccessarily be unsporting... In my scenario above, I'd attempt a cheeky flick with my right foot because using my left, it could go anywhere.

I think that it entirely down to referee interpretation @Russell Jones to determine if that piece of play was a deliberate trick or not. When I read my post back, I think I put it across the wrong way in my "defender juggles and passes the ball back" scenario. Obviously that is a clear trick, but it may be showboating and not an attempt to circumvent the laws, does it affect the spirit and letter of the law? I think its all down to interpretation.

@AlexF that video, you're right, the player should be cautioned. But, had the keeper not have picked the ball up or even touched it with his hands, do you think the ref would have blown up? Obviously, in accordance with the LOTG, that pass would be a breach in law. Even if he had done a few kick ups and flicked it with his chest back to the keeper, would he risk the wrath of every person in that stadium if the keeper didn't pick up? I don't know.

I think I've put my point across quite poorly on my last two threads, I know what I'm trying to say but I don't think its coming across properly

Last edited:
IDFK - Pg 38 - touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

I recently had an occurrence of a the "backpass" offence. Ball is crossed over from the wing by the attacking team, defender controls the ball with his foot and allows the GK to pick it up.

I stop the game and award an IDFK, cue protests from a number of players "How is that a back pass ref"

Reactions: DB
earlier this season I had an instance where the ball was virtually stationery just outside the penalty area. There was no attacker in the immediate vicinity.Defender got down on all fours like a dog and poked the ball with his head back to his goalkeeper scraping his nose on the pitch in the process. Goalkeeper picked the ball up and cleared. I did not penalise as I was uncertain whether this constituted trickery or not but on reflection think may have been wrong. Still not totally sure and would value opinion.

I recently had an occurrence of a the "backpass" offence. Ball is crossed over from the wing by the attacking team, defender controls the ball with his foot and allows the GK to pick it up.

I stop the game and award an IDFK, cue protests from a number of players "How is that a back pass ref"
Correct call. He has taken the ball in a controlled manner with the intention of having the keeper pick it up (if I've read that right).

earlier this season I had an instance where the ball was virtually stationery just outside the penalty area. There was no attacker in the immediate vicinity.Defender got down on all fours like a dog and poked the ball with his head back to his goalkeeper scraping his nose on the pitch in the process. Goalkeeper picked the ball up and cleared. I did not penalise as I was uncertain whether this constituted trickery or not but on reflection think may have been wrong. Still not totally sure and would value opinion.

Depending on how the ball arrived at the penalty area I think would be my judgement call. If a striker had crossed the ball in and the ball had stopped on its own on the edge of the area and a defender done this (without touching it with any other part of his body), I'd allow. If he controlled the ball and then nodded it back, I'd blow up. If he has time to get down on all fours and then has time to nod it back to the keeper, he has plenty of time to make a difference decision and avoid a possible situation. I'd also blow if (for example) a centre half receives a head-height ball from a left/right back and then nodded it back to the keeper, who then controls with his hands.

Another thing that may influence the decision could be the shouts from the opposition. Did they shout pass back? If there is no argument or appeal and you're not quite sure what to do, then just carry on going I say, if they're not appealing then they are obviously not sure and therefore shouldn't questions your decision.

I think this part of the law is definitely all about interpretation as there are many different scenarios that could lead to the goalkeeper using his hands.

It would be interesting to hear from the more experienced referees on their interpretations

There was no appeal from opposition. I doubt any players are aware of the trickery law and tend to appeal for anything that comes off a foot and the goalkeeper then handles. If I can remember correctly ball was played backwards by a fellow defender before the player got down on all fours to head back. opposition were not chasing the ball he had all the time in the world to play the ball or allow the keeper to come and kick the ball.

I'd also blow if (for example) a centre half receives a head-height ball from a left/right back and then nodded it back to the keeper, who then controls with his hands.

I don't think this would be correct. The centre half is just heading the ball back to his own keeper, no trickery, not deliberately circumventing the law?

Trickery is not a cautionable offence entirely, skills and tricks are part of the game.. Trickery to circumvent the laws is the offence.. There's a difference (obviously you're aware of that).

Now, I think the way that this law is written is pretty poor. The reason being, here's a scenario: the defender is on the goal-line outside of the penalty area, two attackers are incoming at a rate of knots, one heading straight towards the player and one to the players right hand side. His only option to get the ball away and safe is to pass back to his goalie who has advanced to a position where he can successfully receive a pass. The defender has a weak left foot, therefore he opts to do a cheeky little flick to the goalie, who then clears the ball by putting a foot through it... This then enters the UB realm; the defender has used a trick to get the ball to the keeper, who has then cleared the ball. You will never see a ref blow for that. If they did, you'd think he was mad. But clearly, the player has used a trick to get the ball to the keeper..

My question above, I've kind of answered myself with the above quote from pg 125. The offender is the defender. My way of thinking is what if that trickery is the only way he can get the ball to the goalie, it wouldn't neccessarily be unsporting... In my scenario above, I'd attempt a cheeky flick with my right foot because using my left, it could go anywhere.

I think that it entirely down to referee interpretation @Russell Jones to determine if that piece of play was a deliberate trick or not. When I read my post back, I think I put it across the wrong way in my "defender juggles and passes the ball back" scenario. Obviously that is a clear trick, but it may be showboating and not an attempt to circumvent the laws, does it affect the spirit and letter of the law? I think its all down to interpretation.
No, no, no. The defender hasn't done a trick to circumvent the laws, he's done a skill to retain possession of the ball. Wrong, so wrong.

I'd also blow if (for example) a centre half receives a head-height ball from a left/right back and then nodded it back to the keeper, who then controls with his hands.
You'd be wrong.

"Done a skill"? @DanCohen17

@DB what you are missing here is that the trick and the goalkeeper controlling the ball with his hands are the two elements required to be circumventing. If the defender uses a trick and the keeper doesn't control the ball with his hands, there is no circumvention so no USB so no caution

@Brian Hamilton -- you're one person I hate to try to correct. Of course, that may also be the teaching in the UK...

Here in Canada, the teaching is that the deliberate trick is the issue, not the handling.

The Laws themselves specifically say:
uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick

(emphasis mine)

"Done a skill"? @DanCohen17

@DB what you are missing here is that the trick and the goalkeeper controlling the ball with his hands are the two elements required to be circumventing. If the defender uses a trick and the keeper doesn't control the ball with his hands, there is no circumvention so no USB so no caution
Yes, the defender has done a skill

I disagree with you Brian. The keeper can touch that ball with his hands as the pass has been played back to him by a lawful part of the body. It is the defender who has attempted to circumvent the law, therefore USB & caution and is irrelevant as to whether the keeper actually uses his hands or not

I'm confused now. :confused:

Stupid bloody law anyway.
Football, particularly at the top level is all about entertainment for those watching and enjoyment for those participating.
If a player uses skill ("trickery" - call it what you like) in order to allow himself to play the ball safely back to his own goalkeeper using his head/chest/thigh then why the hell should he be penalised and cautioned.
That's like saying a player should be penalised for using "trickery" in order to bend the ball around a wall at a free kick and score.
The recent overhaul of the laws would have been an ideal time to bin this pointless (and judging by this thread) confusing law from the modern game.
Harrumph. :devil:

Back