A&H

What was the right call

Aaron0812

Hi folks

Has my first game today and one decision has been playing on my mind a bit. Struggling to find clear clarification in the laws of the game so thought I'd ask opinions here.

U12 game, no headers allowed.

Attacking team through on goal, shot goes past keeper but defending team head the ball off the line and over the post. Ball was either going in, or going to hit the post, not too much in it.

I originally thought penalty as I figured its the equivalent of a handball on the box. But after some reflection gave an indirect free kick. Should have awarded a card to defending player too but in heat of trying to work out what to give, I overlooked the sanction (spoke to their manager at half time though and made it clear that next time I wouldn't).

Managers both seemed happy enough with the decision and rest of the game generally went well enough. Interested in others views on this though.

Thanks
Aaron

The Referee Store
Never reffed 'no header' football before, but if it is banned, the sanction should be covered in competition rules, and not within the LOTG themselves.

My gut would be IDFK, meaning you'd be correct, however there's likely to be someone here who can confirm or deny that hunch with competition rules specific to this

Whilst I appreciate the fact that in some areas of the county you aren't allowed to header the ball at U12 and below, I don't like the idea of potentially cautioning someone or sending someone off for a header to prevent a goal. Just doesn't sit right with me!!

Whilst I appreciate the fact that in some areas of the county you aren't allowed to header the ball at U12 and below, I don't like the idea of potentially cautioning someone or sending someone off for a header to prevent a goal. Just doesn't sit right with me!!
Same here. It feels like a weird one, but I think it would be technically right... It was actually very good defending!

Can't find reference in the league handbook either. Think I'll drop en email to the league in the morning to clarify for future matches.

Same here. It feels like a weird one, but I think it would be technically right... It was actually very good defending!

Can't find reference in the league handbook either. Think I'll drop en email to the league in the morning to clarify for future matches.
Replying to myself just to say that I've found the following in the FA's website...

Where a player deliberately heads the ball within their own penalty area, the referee will stop the game and restart with an indirect free-kick to the opposition from the nearest side line of the penalty area where the offence took place.

So indirect free kick looks to have been correct but still not sure on the card 😅. In my head it would have either been for denying a promising attack, or denial of a goalscoring opportunity through the action of heading it.

Found this in some England Football documents I have. Hope it helps.

Plenty to discuss in the attached. A red card for DOGSO for heading the ball away ! ? Who wants to comment first ?

Attachments

• RefereeGuidance_HeadingTrial_2023 2024.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 18
Sanctions should also be in the rules of completion that impose the ban. The rule sets I’m familiar with in the US on this essentially say it is a safety violation and not an “offense” so it can never support SPA or DOGSO.

EDIT: I see England took a different tact on this.

Hi folks

Has my first game today and one decision has been playing on my mind a bit. Struggling to find clear clarification in the laws of the game so thought I'd ask opinions here.

U12 game, no headers allowed.

Attacking team through on goal, shot goes past keeper but defending team head the ball off the line and over the post. Ball was either going in, or going to hit the post, not too much in it.

I originally thought penalty as I figured its the equivalent of a handball on the box. But after some reflection gave an indirect free kick. Should have awarded a card to defending player too but in heat of trying to work out what to give, I overlooked the sanction (spoke to their manager at half time though and made it clear that next time I wouldn't).

Managers both seemed happy enough with the decision and rest of the game generally went well enough. Interested in others views on this though.

Thanks
Aaron
In my view its a red card , if you receive a red for a deliberate hand ball preventing a goal , when you are not allowed to use your hands , same applies when your not allowed to use your head , no ?

Makes sense to me that it's a ref if it's a very deliberate header to prevent a goal, as sad as that is.
This is why I don't get involved any younger than U18s 😆

I do U12 fixtures quite regularly and I am so glad my league doesn't participate in this trial. I would find somewhere else to ref if they did as I really don't see the point in that.

I do U12 fixtures quite regularly and I am so glad my league doesn't participate in this trial. I would find somewhere else to ref if they did as I really don't see the point in that.
It will be coming in for all youth games below a certain age at some point, so that stance might limit your options.

The age was set as a result of medical learning about brain development and vulnerability. Interestingly, see this over the past few years, one result is players overall becoming more skilled at playing the ball out of the air other than heading. And I haven’t noticed a decline in heading skill, which I suspect is because most young kids heading aren’t doing it properly in the first place.

Back