A&H

What offences are classed as persistent

Benny101

Just been revising and looking over my discipline codes, and just been thinking about 'persistent infringement of the laws of the game'. What offences does this actually cover?

The Referee Store
Not quite.

I am not sure exactly how it is defined but Offside is not usually included (we had a thread on it here once) and I wouldn't give a yellow for something like a series of incorrectly taken throw-ins.

I'm tempted to say only offences in Law 12 but I'm sure someone will be along to show me the error of my ways...:)

Last edited:
In easy terms, it is the penal offences under Law 12.

While you could caution a player for PI for PIADM, it is more likely the caution would be for USB.

While you could caution a player for PI for PIADM, it is more likely the caution would be for USB.
By "penal" do you mean those punishable by a DFK? If so would you not caution for persistently impeding?

Constant chipping, chuntering, all those little niggling things at corners - repetative intential jostling, taking a loooong time to come back to the 10 yds at FK, nudging the ball away when passed back for TI and FK's but not enought to YC for kiking away as it were ....... there comes a point where you've given then avisory (come on player, please - sigh ......) you've given warning, and then you've had enough - Player over here please. You may not have commited a YC offence as a whole but your persistant infringmenets themselves accumulate to a YC offence. I've spoken to you already but you just kept on.

Gave one on Saturday for just the above, 73rd min. Result - he stormed off the pitch, asked the capt if he was being subbed "no ref, he's just sulking and being a mardy f*cker"

Easy one then - second YC for leaving the pitch and RC for 2 YC.

So now they're down to 9 (only started with 10)

@HRW - technically, you are not correct to caution as a PI for this. None of these are infringements, within this definition. These are annoyances.

The caution should for dissent by action - not respecting to the referee.

Reactions: one
By "penal" do you mean those punishable by a DFK? /QUOTE]
Yes - that is what penal means.

Impediment - it is difficult to see this occuring, given that contact makes it a DFK.

Last edited:
Constant chipping, chuntering, all those little niggling things at corners - repetative intential jostling, taking a loooong time to come back to the 10 yds at FK, nudging the ball away when passed back for TI and FK's but not enought to YC for kiking away as it were ....... there comes a point where you've given then avisory (come on player, please - sigh ......) you've given warning, and then you've had enough - Player over here please. You may not have commited a YC offence as a whole but your persistant infringmenets themselves accumulate to a YC offence. I've spoken to you already but you just kept on.

None of those are persistent infringement because you haven't acknowledged a law breach.

For a foul, for instance. A breach is acknowledged by a free kick or advantage. A verbal chat as you run past 'hey, you were getting a bit handsy in the tackle' cannot count towards PI as there was no infringement to start with.

So in every case you're quoted HRW, there has been no infringement. All of those are dealt with otherwise. Jostling before a CK? USB if he keeps doing it, or a PK if it's in play. Not retiring or nudging the ball away? Again, if you're only warning him then you're saying he hasn't breached the laws. If he has, it's a caution.

Why only penal offences?
Preventing the keeper for releasing the ball, for instance, would be cautionable for PI. As would repeated PIADM (say, a player keeps lifting the boot high in a crowded area).

Anything in Law 12....though I wouldn't be applying it to, say, keeper double handling or handling longer than 6 seconds.

None of those are persistent infringement because you haven't acknowledged a law breach.

For a foul, for instance. A breach is acknowledged by a free kick or advantage. A verbal chat as you run past 'hey, you were getting a bit handsy in the tackle' cannot count towards PI as there was no infringement to start with.

So in every case you're quoted HRW, there has been no infringement. All of those are dealt with otherwise. Jostling before a CK? USB if he keeps doing it, or a PK if it's in play. Not retiring or nudging the ball away? Again, if you're only warning him then you're saying he hasn't breached the laws. If he has, it's a caution.

Why only penal offences?
Preventing the keeper for releasing the ball, for instance, would be cautionable for PI. As would repeated PIADM (say, a player keeps lifting the boot high in a crowded area).

Anything in Law 12....though I wouldn't be applying it to, say, keeper double handling or handling longer than 6 seconds.

I would be inclined to agree that limiting persistent infringement to penal offences is not sufficient. The clause whereby you restart with an indirect free kick for any booking offence not mentioned in law 12 would be redundant if it were only meant for offences incurring free kicks in the first place. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this!

On the subject of discipline codes, what is the one for DOGSO caution (goal scored/new law)?
Thanks

Surely as it can only be a yellow if the foultimate was a genuine attempt to play the ball it would be C1 and Foul Tackle

I was actually referring to a yellow card specifically for a player who has tried, but failed, to deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. But I agree that you can't really go wrong with C1 and foul tackle if in doubt.

Back