A&H

What do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
When your an assistant, during the course of the game, you receive some dissent and or abusive language from a player.

When you call over the referee, how do you approach the matter?

What I do in this situation, is say to the referee that I want the player cautioned/sent off for dissent/offinbus. Some referees I know, simply tell the referee about the incident and leave it up to the referee whether to caution / send off the player or not.

Obviously the referee is in charge and the decision ultimately is up to him, however as of yet, I have not had a referee who has refused my request.

I just wondered which option you guys tend to go for.

The Referee Store
Interesting approach

Never happened so far, within earshot at least, although I did once have a coach asking me how much they paid me to keep my flag down as the teams came off at half-time.

Didn't take offence cos he said it in a friendly, non-confrontational way

Only afterwards did I think of the retort that they hadn't paid me, it was just that I hadn't reached the part of the book about offsides yet.

When your an assistant, during the course of the game, you receive some dissent and or abusive language from a player.

What I do in this situation, is say to the referee that I want the player cautioned/sent off for dissent/offinbus. Some referees I know, simply tell the referee about the incident and leave it up to the referee whether to caution / send off the player or not.

Obviously the referee is in charge and the decision ultimately is up to him, however as of yet, I have not had a referee who has refused my request.

I've never had this problem before but judging by the rugby referees (in the days before TV replays) they used to explain what had happened and then give a recommendation as to what should happen next. If it was me having not had it happen to me yet, i would do as you have said, tell the referee what has happened and then tell the referee how i would like him to be sanctioned. I know that as and AR it isn't my call and at the end of the day the decision is with the ref but sometimes you only know what it warrants when you are there/can hear it. Also just to add, I wouldn't be calling the ref over for anything less than a caution.

If an AR calls me over, I want facts....what they said, how loud, to who, context etc.

I don't expect the AR to be telling what they want...I'll make a judgement based on what they have told me. I will explain to the AR what I am going to do and why...they either agree, happy days, or they don't, oh well, but it will be my decision, not theirs.

The clue is in the name...assist not insist.

Normally, as an assessor, I would expect the referee to deal with how he wishes to proceed in his PMI's.
It is very dangerous for you to recommend a disclipinary action for the referee. You role is report the facts, and if he ask, make a recommendation.
As he has more involvement with the various players, what you heard he may have already allowed to go elsewhere on the FOP, so following your demand could reduce his match control.
Also, if a player / official / spectator overheard your demand to the referee and he doesn't do it - how do you think his match control could survive?
As the term implies - you are an assistant to the referee.

You should never but the referee in the position of what you want, personally I would want to know for a definite what happened and be allowed to make my own decision.
If my assistant told me I want him sent off for what he just said to me I wouldn't really want to be in that decision of having to choose...

Think it depends from referee to referee, some are grateful you've identified an offence and leave it up to you, others just take your information on board then make a decision. Deciding this approach has always been part of pre-match

I think the relatively new 'OFFINABUS' as opposed to the old fashioned 'Foul and abusive language' has muddied the waters even more. What if you as an assistant find something insulting or offensive that the referee doesn't?

Surely everything is 'in the opinion of the referee'

But....is there a mechanism for reporting the referee on those presumably rare occasions where the referee's idea of what constitutes 'offinabus' is miles away from that of the offended, insulted or abused asst ref?

Imagine the county disciplinary hearing:

Did you as the referee feel offended, insulted or abused by the language or gestures used?

Yes I did.

Thanks everybody, let's have a quick sandwich and we can all go home.

Imagine the county disciplinary hearing:

Did you as the referee feel offended, insulted or abused by the language or gestures used?

Yes I did.

Thanks everybody, let's have a quick sandwich and we can all go home.

Can you show me in the LOTG where it stipulates that the referee has to feel offended etc for the offence to be complete?

You have taken my light hearted response to something haywain posted and decided to jump on it.

If you listen carefully you will hear my patience for your nonsense wearing thin.

You have taken my light hearted response to something haywain posted and decided to jump on it.

If you listen carefully you will hear my patience for your nonsense wearing thin.

Ah...so it was a light hearted response.....Unfortunately it propagated a commonly held myth about OFFINABUS....I would hate for an inexperienced ref to get led astray by an attempt at humour.

:)

Having never had my own NAR's, i can only go by the numerous ref's i've lined for, this should be covered in the pre match, i have had ref's tell me, if you see something or not happy with something, you call me over, you tell me what you want to happen, and YOU are the one filling in the report, which makes sense, i've not called a ref over yet!!

How come there are so many L7 refs on here that get NAR's??
Just out of interest

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a scenario which was a mass confrontation when on the line last season. I saw something that the ref didnt so called him over, gave him the facts and he said "so what do you think, handbags or worth a yellow?"

If it is something that needs to be dealt with, you should inform the referee of what the player said and offer your opinion on how to deal with it; then the referee can make his decision. Warning, though, don't be calling the referee over for every little bit of dissent you get.

For me, if im an AR, i tell the ref whats happened and give a recommendation, if im a referee with NARs, being a level 7 i know that the ARs will be the same, if not a higher level than I am, so if they see something then they are just as qualified as I am in my eyes so i will ask what happened and what they think it deserves and administer that. I find that as the 3rd team on the pitch we have to communicate effectively and trust eachothers judgement to be a good team of match officials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back